34XBR800 problems

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Aaron Cohen, Jul 19, 2003.

1. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

I posted a little bit about this here a bit ago but wanted to update you.

My set has a laundry list of problems and from posting on avsforum.com and after hearing what my tech had to tell me it sounds like these are all just problems with the set.... I find it hard to believe as these are all very glaring and VERY disappointing.

There are horrible splotches and streaks on the left and right sides of the screen. There is bad discoloration on the edges and corners. The discoloration on the edges is very visible whenever a lighter background is displayed and the same goes for the corners (upper left and lower right). Blue comes up as green, red as yellow, white as yellow, etc. The enermous splotches show up looking like discoloration/fingerprint type marks and are on the left and right sides. They do not intrude into the 4x3 frame if you measure where the bars on the left and right end and have the tv in full mode watching a widescreen movie.

When watching 4x3 programming in normal mode (with the bars on the left and right side) discoloration is slightly visible on the black background in the form of vertical splotch columns. These are very visible as well when watching a movie and the screen is dark. It is a hazy discoloration.

When watching 4x3 programming in normal mode there is a hazy, thick vertical line going down the left side of the frame. When the television is put into full mode, part of it is still visible on the left side of the screen but the rest is gone due to overscan. It is most visible during darker scenes but when looked far it is always there.

The biggest and most glaring problem is phosphor trailing though. It is absolutely despicable. Think of the video game Asteriods and you have what the problem is. The easiest way to see this is to run credits of a movie where there is a black background and they are scrolling down a screen. The letters will blur and smear as they go down the screen and a trail will follow them. Look at any dark scene in a movie where someone is walking or moving. When they move their head an enermous trail of them moving follows. Look at a cars' headlights or a light on a wall when a camera pans. Same thing. If a car drives across the screen from the left to right seemingly a hazy tidal wave follows it.

In many films where characters wear dark clothes this happens EVERYWHERE. Everytime they shake a hand, punch someone, walk around, even in a very light background all sorts of blurring, smearing, and trailing takes place. If the character has dark hair whenever they walk their head appears bright grey and trails bizarelly.

The newly released "What's Up Tiger Lily?" is my current reference disc for this effect. It is just AWFUL. At about 9 minutes in when the group is singing a song, they are against a black backround and are bobbing and weaving their heads a lot. There are enermous trails EVERYWHERE. It is unbelivable. About 5 minutes later, a man is escaping from jail and is running along the top of a wall. He appears to have turbo jets on that are shooting out flames from the back of him. As he jumps he appears to be falling using the aide of a large semi-invisible cape.

NONE of these problems are visible at all on any other direct view set that I own or none of the many HD Widescreen Rear-projection sets I viewed at Circuit City just recently. It was viewable on the 34XBR800 at the store exactly how it is on my 34XBR800 at home. It was not visible on any other companies' direct views though it was on the 36 and 40 XBR800's. Interestingly, it was NOT visible on the 36XBR450.

When there are pans this problem happens. When someone merely walks it happens. In some darker movies it happens with an unbelievable rate of frequency. "Gremlins 2" bordered on unwatchable though only in some parts for me as did the majority of "What's Up, Tiger Lily?" I had to switch to my 10 year old 27 inch set to enjoy it.

I do not understand how this set was manufactured and sold to the general public with all of these problems. Perhaps it is not on all of them? It was on my original tube and the tube the tech replaced it with that he got from Sony after seeing the problems I pointed out and saying that maybe a different tube would help but that these were just problems with the technology...

In no review of this set did I see ANY mention of ANY problem I am seeing. I do not scrutinize the image, I sit back a considerable distance and these problems leap out at me. A scene I reference for splotches is the Dune buggy riding scene in Stark Trek Nemesis. Look at the upper left of the 2.35:1 frame, big splotch, same goes for the other corners of the frame.

I find it impossible to believe that none of the problems I, a 20 year old college kid finds with this set, were documented anywhere. I can only assume this problem is not with all of the sets? Does anyone else have any of the same problems I have? I purchased this set the day it was released and paid full price (2499.99) and am very upset and angry. The colors are picture are unbelievable....in the middle of the screen. For the most part, pretty much every bit outside of the 28 inch 4x3 frame is affected in some way by either splotches, discoloration, or vertical columns. Unfortunately, the trailing happens everywhere.

Astonishingly, I have no problems with geometry. It appears to be very, very good(though I have a rather noticeable amount of overscan on the sides that I would like to get fixed, I was looking to get this set ISF calibrated but would now just like to get rid of it). I have had the set serviced twice now and the Circuit City manager told me before the 2nd time that if I was still having a problem after the 2nd service call my set would be replaced. This is back in Raleigh, NC. I go to college in Charlotte, NC and decided to call for service back in October after first noticing all of these problems. Unfortunately, the service people could not find my place and were cussing at each other and at one point were pulled over for speeding in their quest to find my apartment but that is beside the point.

Because they were not able to make it to my apartment I decided to just forgot about it for the time being and just decided to wait till I take the set back home at the end of the school year and take it up with the Circuit City where I purchased the set from. I went into the Circuit City in Charlotte though and told the manager about the problems with my set. He said it sounded like it was a dying CRT and that if the set ever was replaced I could ask for a credit towards a different set in the store if I wanted. When I got back home to Raleigh I had the set serviced and the yoke was replaced. Everything looked the exact same except now the geometry was WAY off so I sent it to be serviced a second time.

They had me come in and point out the problems I was having with my set and the technician told me those were all problems with the techology. He said that he could replace the tube though if I wanted as they might help. He did this and all the problems remained, some of the splotches being even more pronounced. I now see that the 34XBR910 is being released. I don't want to any more to do with the 34XBR800. It has given me NOTHING but trouble since about a month after I purchased it (when I started watching it frequently and noticed these problems) and I am very upset with it.

Remembering what the Circuit City in Charlotte said, do you think that if I take that up with the store in Raleigh that they will most likely do the same thing? The manager here offered to replace the set if it was still not fixed to my liking after the second service call and the manager in Charlotte had said that if the set was going to be replaced a credit could be given instead. If so, should I try and get the set replaced with the 34XBR910 whenever it ends up being released? I am skeptical to believe any glowing reviews of it however until I see it for myself after my experience with the 34XBR800. I have taken none of my problems up with Sony.

Would there be any reason to believe these trailing problems would be gone from the updated set? Would the splotches, streaks, columns, and hazy lines be gone as well?

I would just like a set that can give me some sort of piece of mind while watching and not bother me constantly. I was hoping that more than 3000 dollars would buy me that (the 2500 dollar set, 300 dollar stand, and 300 dollar DVD player, all plus tax).

Over at avsforum.com some users said many of the problems I mention are on their sets as well though not as noticeable as I make them out to me. Several users said these problems were very bad on their set as they are mine and that they were very upset having purchased a set with a much praised image that "just doesn't deliver". A few said they saw none of these problems at all.

I am totally lost as to what to go about doing next. I really hope to get this resolved soon but as I am considering getting this set replaced with the 910 if that option is made available to me(I would like a direct view set as it is in a smaller room and I do not have a very large amount of space though I suppose a small RPTV might work as well though I have never owned one and prefer the direct view picture) I am stalled out as there is no specific release date for the 34XBR910! I heard end of July and now I am hearing October.

Please, ANYONE, give me some advice! I'm sorry my post is so long but I wanted to attempt to document my problems.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Thing is, the chroma splotches you're reporting sound to me like magnetic interference from unshielded speakers. What kind of speakers do you have and how close are they positioned to the Sony?

As for the phosphor lag, what you're describing seems a bit severe. But phosphor lag is not an uncommon occurrence.

Overall, your particular unit is probably defective. Have you talked with anyone at Sony?

3. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

I have no speakers of any kind anywhere in my house. This problem was the same both at college and at home and other owners of the set at avsforum.com have reported the same problems while others have said they don't see them at all. I don't know if these splotches are being caused by the speakers connected to the set or what....it's just very strange. I have not talked to anyone with Sony yet, I'm trying to figure out just how widespread these problems are. I plan on contacting them soon though.

A poster at avsforum.com mentioned it looked like to him that on his set the splotches were exactly where the supports were on the set and that it looked like those areas just had not been coated probably....

Thanks for the reply!

4. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

I just quickly checked and the splotches look to be lined up right along the circular sections on the attached speakers on both sides (I know NOTHING about what certain parts of speakers are called so bear with me). There appear to be four of the circular sections going down on each side and the splotches look to be occurring alongside 2 of the four. This could be why the problem remained even though my tube was replaced. Does something like this (the tube's speakers magnetically interfering) occur often? It sounds like a good number of these 34XBR800's are effected. The vertical streaks, columns, and hazy lines though don't seem to be explainable by the speakers though I know nothing of speaker interference.

5. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

I have teh 34xbr800 and have none of the problems you speak of. I have a home stereo and have never used the onbaord Sony speakers since I bought this set in January of this year. Try turning off your speakers and watching your set, do you still see the problems.

I would say if you can get the 34xbr910 instead since the 34xbr800 does not have HDCP with the DVI, that pisses me off, I thought it did if it had DVI.

6. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

Thanks for the suggestion Dan. I turned off the speakers and put in my reference disc and chapter for this problem (Star Trek Nemesis, Dune Buggy scene). Unfortunately it was still very much there.

You don't see any phosphor trailing at all Dan? I could almost overlook the splotches and streaks, ALMOST (though I would not like to have to), if not for that problem with my set. It's just very upsetting and annoying to constantly see long comet streaks and trails behind every movement against a darker background.

I will definitely go about the route of trying to get this set replaced with the 910. I'm really tired of having to deal with this set. If others owners of this set are happy with it then [​IMG]....the problems my set is experiencing is most likely not in all of them. But I am really disappointed in my 34XBR800.

Do you think given the information I presented in my initial post in this thread that I would have little problem in getting my set swapped for the new one?

7. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

Aaron,

I concur with Dan. I have not noticed any of the problems you mention on my 34"XBR800. HD programming looks stunning, and in my opinion, better than any other direct view set I have seen to date. The only real noticeable issue I have is that vertical lines out towards either side will look slightly bowed if the line runs most of the height of the picture. I think you have a defective set and should just try to get them to replace the whole thing.

You probably won't have any luck trying to get a different TV though if you are beyond Circuit City's refund period. Most stores give you from a week to 30 days to return a product for a full refund or exchange.