What's new

Sonotube...good for music or not? (1 Viewer)

Brett Creider

Stunt Coordinator
I am considering a sonotube but I am not sure...

I am in a 12' x 10' bedroom and all I have is a twin sized bed and my large computer desk on the opposite wall...which is where I am most of the time. My main bookshelfs are mounted on the side of the desk as you can see here:

I was thinking a 20" wide x 20" deep x 30" tall box (not including legs) with a Tempest and the PE250watt amp. The amp was already ordered so it's too late to change that but I can still change the sub (but I don't think I need to) and I definitely need to get my box plans together...

So will a sonotube work for me or not? It's going to be music 9/10 maybe movies if I ever get another DVD drive...

Ryan T

Second Unit
I recently switched from a 230L sealed tempest (box) to a 240L ported sonosub. I use my tempest for music only and I havent noticed much of a difference between the box and the sonotube except the sono goes a lower with a LOT more power. The sono does not sound as quick as my box did but thats because it's ported. But to remedy that I have it crossed over at 50 hz so i can't really tell much of a difference sound quality wise. I would say go for the sono. There much easier to build and I like the looks better.

Ryan

Brett Creider

Stunt Coordinator
I will probably seal it most likely and right now it will be 48" tall and 18" in diameter...rised off the ground 6"...downfiring...tempest and a 250watt PE amp...

Think it's good?

Ryan T

Second Unit
Yeah that sounds good. I'm using the 250 PE plate amp also. It's plenty of power. I haven't tired the plate amp with my sealed enclosure but i was using an old stereo receiver to power it and it was enough to play really loud. I also had my sub in a smaller room (11' by 14'). I did do testing with movies and the sealed enclosure did lack a bit with the low 20 Hz material but still was able to play loud enough for me. I think you should be very please with the sealed tempest. I would have kept mine but i had to move and it was about 200 pounds! And i was offered a free sono sub that had be built so i took it and gave my box enclosure to my friend. I still miss it a bit for music but the new enclosure has a smaller footprint so it fits better into my small room. My current sub is like 20" diameter and 65" tall with the feet and base. Most people that see it think i'm nuts but oh well :).

Ryan

Geno

Supporting Actor
brett, maybe you should use the sub in your main HT for your computer and the new one for the main HT?

sounds like this diy sub is gonna be alot better than the KLH you have posted on your web site

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
There will be no sonic (audible) differene between a properly built box vs a properly built tube.

Tubes are easier to get properly built, because the cylindrical shape requires significantly less bracing.

Brett Creider

Stunt Coordinator
The thing is my dad is "satisfied" with that little KLH in there now...so I don't necessarily own the home theater lol it's just my home...so it's my home theater but all the comp equipment and HiFi stuff in here is all paid for by me so I figured I'd treat myself to a nice sub...

Sure I'll use it in there...but I dunno how since it will be well above 60 lbs.

But can I get an estimate on cost? I've made a list of what I think I'll need to make it....

-18" diameter / 48" tall sonotube
-5 20x20 sheets MDF (2 for bottom cap where driver will be, 1 for the top cap, 2 for the very bottom and very top that are spaced 6" from each cap and one to make the amp and remote box out of to put into the tube)
-48" of 1" diameter/wide wood, whichever is possible. Will be used for 4 6" tall legs on both sides in between the driver and the MDF that touches the floor and the top cap and the very top peice of MDF)
-ProBond wood glue
-~100 wood screws
-Black "sock" to put around tube (where can I buy one of these btw)
-~10ft of speaker wire
-Sinking drill bit thing to make a sink hole when I drill
-The foam that looks like it could be put across a bed which I would put inside the tube
-Black spray paint (3 or 4 cans maybe?)
-Sandpaper

Anything else? Any idea of cost?

Brett Creider

Stunt Coordinator
Well there is a change of plans I think. I can't find any sonotubes bigger than 12" Lowes and Home Depot both have only 12" max and only 3' long. I need 4' long and 18" wide...:frowning:

Maybe I'll just build a reg box like I planned.

Brett Creider

Stunt Coordinator
I'm probably just going to buy 3 2x4s of MDF and do a 2x2x2' cube out of MDF....Seems easier with the tools I have (drill and jig saw lol)

Plus I know where to get them, what they cost, and it'll fit in a Taurus.

Tommy T

Stunt Coordinator
Brett, I see you're from Fort Worth. Here's where I got my sonotube from and they let me buy it by the foot!

White Cap Construction Supply
2015 California Crossing
Dallas, TX 75220
Phone: 972-556-0310

White Cap

Good Luck!

Tommy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks