What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Song of the South (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
time to delve into this again, with a lot of the studios doing exclusives, how do you think this would do as a limited release on blu / dvd (Pefered) via SAE the way Twilight Time does, limit the number to say maybe the 3000-4000 copies, it would be made available, but not the same issue that a general release would cause.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

I don't know why they don't just license it to Criterion. They could even ask that the name Disney not be displayed on the front cover.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The movie would still reflect on Disney's letting it be released, something they obviously want to avoid. I think it'll take a regime change at Disney to have a chance to get it released by anyone.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
dana martin said:
time to delve into this again, with a lot of the studios doing exclusives, how do you think this would do as a limited release on blu / dvd (Pefered) via SAE the way Twilight Time does, limit the number to say maybe the 3000-4000 copies, it would be made available, but not the same issue that a general release would cause. 
I still think that the Walt Disney Treasures line made the most sense. It would allow some extras to explore the innovative animation and other issues. If it were released on Twilight Time, I'd get your preorders in fast. I think it would make Dr. Syn look like a slow seller. After Disney released the obscenely misanthropic Ballad of Nessie (albeit with nice animation), I think it is fairly clear that the current management of Disney gives no real thought to the message they are sending but merely reflexes at the current trend. So it will probably take a management change for there to be future for this film.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
Jeff Swearingen said:
It's well known that Disney doesn't want to release Song of the South because of groups that claim it to be racist. Who should we contact that would be able to coerce/convince Disney that this should be preserved - at least as a historical document and a great performance by an African American actor - and finally get this film back in the public and out of the vaults?
Who would have the clout to do this?
Leonard Maltin?
Roger Ebert?
John Canemaker (animation historian)?
Robert Harris?
The NAACP?
The AFI?
Library of Congress National Film Registry?
What does it take to get anyone's serious attention on this obvious fact: The entire crow number in "Dumbo" is more racist, in and of itself, than anything about "Song of the South". Is it obvious only to me?
I don't think the real argument about "Song of the South" is about racism...it's about the portrayal of a black man in the post-Civil War South staying on the plantation, living in what were formerly slave quarters and being happy as he can be. This DID happen, but "groups" don't want anyone to believe it happened.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I just watched Blitz Wolf on the Mrs Miniver BD. The best part in the bonus section is where WHV gives a very thoughtful well written reason as to why they wanted to include Blitz Wolf. Disney should do the same thing with Song of the South. I was able a few years back to buy a DVD of Song of the South from a store in Disneyland Paris. I guess I was very lucky for I read they sold out fast. I also own one Pal VHS copy. I had two and gave one away to my local library

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by Jeff Swearingen It's well known that Disney doesn't want to release Song of the South because of groups that claim it to be racist. Who should we contact that would be able to coerce/convince Disney that this should be preserved - at least as a historical document and a great performance by an African American actor - and finally get this film back in the public and out of the vaults? Who would have the clout to do this? Leonard Maltin? Roger Ebert? John Canemaker (animation historian)? Robert Harris? The NAACP? The AFI? Library of Congress National Film Registry? Mr. Maltin has tried to get this released, I believe by suggesting that his own (or someone's) intro be placed up front to put it into context with a disclaimer similar to that he hosted on several Disney Treasures sets. Roger Ebert has already made his position clear: while he admires the film, he does not support its release to the public. Now, if the NAACP were to use its influence with Disney (not likely), things might happen.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The 70th anniversary is 3 years from now. Maybe HTF could launch a "Free Uncle Remus" campaign. Even a grassroots Facebook campaign, if organized well, could do the trick. I'm just sick and tired of the company's cognitive dissonance with this film. This movie needs and deserves to be released. The Uncle Remus stories were Walt's favorites, Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah remains one of the all-time great Disney songs, and the animated characters are still acknowledged today at the parks and with pins. Plus, They had no trouble releasing it overseas. Save Disney had an excellent article in defense of the film, while animator Floyd Norman, one of the few people of color to work at Disney during Walt's time, supports its release. He even told Spike Lee, who is part of the anti- crowd, "I knew Walt. You didn't." And as someone who was raised in the South, I'm offended that anyone else is offended. I will boycott anyone who advocates a boycott of Disney over this film. While they're at it, they should do So Dear to My Heart along with it.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Completely agree with you. The fact that this title is missing is a tragedy. I have been in the exhibition part of the business many years and worked through two rereleases of this title, once as a theatre employee and again as an executive in corporate. Both those times I was located in the Deep South. Not one complaint on the film and both releases we had many African-Americans attend, again no complaints.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Dick said:
Originally Posted by Jeff Swearingen It's well known that Disney doesn't want to release Song of the South because of groups that claim it to be racist. Who should we contact that would be able to coerce/convince Disney that this should be preserved - at least as a historical document and a great performance by an African American actor - and finally get this film back in the public and out of the vaults? Who would have the clout to do this? Leonard Maltin? Roger Ebert? John Canemaker (animation historian)? Robert Harris? The NAACP? The AFI? Library of Congress National Film Registry? Mr. Maltin has tried to get this released, I believe by suggesting that his own (or someone's) intro be placed up front to put it into context with a disclaimer similar to that he hosted on several Disney Treasures sets. Roger Ebert has already made his position clear: while he admires the film, he does not support its release to the public. Now, if the NAACP were to use its influence with Disney (not likely), things might happen.
Wasn't the NAACP the ones that wanted this film out of circulation in the first place?

jcb07

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
j. c. bartolomei
About twenty years ago I bought in UK an authorized (legal copy) of a Song of the South tape made by Disney. It was either in a Virgin Record store or in Harrods. All that Disney has to do these days is release a BRD or a DVD, instead of a tape, in Europe (UK, France or Germany), where there is none of the problems or restrictions found in USA, and all of us interested in having a copy can get one through Amazon.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Several years ago I talked to a grandchild of Spencer Williams about the controversy around his show. She talked about her disappointment in the NAACP and their rather ignorant stance on the show and the subject matter. She tried to get them to lighten up and allow the shows to be viewed but they didn't want to. She spoke to Cosby about him trying to understand the show but he refused. Even if the NAACP did want SOTS released, they still wouldn't admit it. Allowing it to be released wouldn't give them any press and it certainly wouldn't get their name in the paper. No one is going to print a "happy" story about the NAACP allowing it to be released. The only way for them to get the attention they want is to attack Disney for releasing it themselves or giving it to someone else. Look, I hate the fact that this had yet to see the light of day but I do believe the studio has much more to lose than gain here. It sucks as a fan of film but I just don't see much of a point in them releasing it with or without intros. If anything, I do wonder if the release of DJANGO UNCHAINED might eventually help get a release done. Perhaps some of the racial stereotypes could be looked at in a non-PC way.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Disney IS taking care of this film...correct???....so eventually if we or they ever grow up, it can be released with the same quality that the other clasic titles .... ??

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by bob kaplan
Disney IS taking care of this film...correct???....so eventually if we or they ever grow up, it can be released with the same quality that the other clasic titles .... ??
Bob: I seem to recall Robert Harris at one time offering up information that he was aware Disney was taking care to properly preserve SotS. After a long search, however, I cannot find such an observation. I will try and point him to this thread and get him to confirm my recollection or state otherwise.
I HAVE found any number of occasions where he claims Song of the South to be one of his all-time favorite Disney films and has advocated for its proper release to the general public.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon
Bob: I seem to recall Robert Harris at one time offering up information that he was aware Disney was taking care to properly preserve SotS. After a long search, however, I cannot find such an observation. I will try and point him to this thread and get him to confirm my recollection or state otherwise.
I HAVE found any number of occasions where he claims Song of the South to be one of his all-time favorite Disney films and has advocated for its proper release to the general public.
The elements are very well cared for. Interesting production, as I recall, the final negatives are three-strip, combined from a combination of live photography three-strip and animated SE.
A magnificent film, photographed by Gregg Toland, in Technicolor. He did a few other interesting films. And yes, my all-time favorite Disney production.
I don't know what all the fuss is about, not releasing in the U.S. I find nothing racially problematic with it. Unless one hones in on white children being ignored by their parents, and finding love and protection from slaves. Yes, there was slavery. It was a horrible situation. Might the fact that the slaves in SotS are pictured as happy be the problem?
Can't answer that one. But as a film, Song of the South is a magnificent achievement, and great entertainment.
RAH

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
bob kaplan said:
I have my legal laserdisc of SOTS released by Disney in Japan when laserdiscs were in fashion. It looks really nice but it has Japanese subtitles that cannot be turned off. Still well worth having.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
Robert Harris said:
The elements are very well cared for.  Interesting production, as I recall, the final negatives are three-strip, combined from a combination of live photography three-strip and animated SE. A magnificent film, photographed by Gregg Toland, in Technicolor.  He did a few other interesting films.  And yes, my all-time favorite Disney production. I don't know what all the fuss is about, not releasing in the U.S.  I find nothing racially problematic with it.  Unless one hones in on white children being ignored by their parents, and finding love and protection from slaves.  Yes, there was slavery.  It was a horrible situation.  Might the fact that the slaves in SotS are pictured as happy be the problem? Can't answer that one.  But as a film, Song of the South is a magnificent achievement, and great entertainment. RAH
I guess it's been too long since I saw this film. I thought it was post-Civil War. Uncle Remus certainly seemed to have the freedom to leave the plantation. That said, there is no racism I can see. Certainly not along the lines of "Gone With the Wind" or the three crows in "Dumbo".

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Song of the South takes place after the emancipation of the slaves. Therefore, Uncle Remus is a free man.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks