What's new

Press Release WHV Press Release: Singin' In The Rain (1952) (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
You guys need to listen to the following podcast with George Feltenstein. Forward ahead to the 18 minute mark, until the end of the podcast, he gives you a brief Technicolor historical synopsis. In his comments, he talks about the "Singin' in the Rain" film elements and the process they now use to release movies like "Singin' in the Rain" onto 4K disc. Again, start at about the 18 minute mark and the next 10 minutes he gives you some insight about the George Eastman House fire, the film elements lost to that fire and the process they now used today regarding 3-strip Technicolor movies being released today onto Blu-ray and 4K discs.

Thank you Mr C! Will listen! Is there a thread discussing Technicolor elements for our favorite films? Just listened! Great stuff.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You guys need to listen to the following podcast with George Feltenstein. Forward ahead to the 18 minute mark, until the end of the podcast, he gives you a brief Technicolor historical synopsis. In his comments, he talks about the "Singin' in the Rain" film elements and the process they now use to release movies like "Singin' in the Rain" onto 4K disc. Again, start at about the 18 minute mark and the next 10 minutes he gives you some insight about the George Eastman House fire, the film elements lost to that fire and the process they now used today regarding 3-strip Technicolor movies being released today onto Blu-ray and 4K discs.

By the way, the studio that George mentions, but wouldn't name that dumped their Technicolor negatives into the ocean was probably Fox. If I'm wrong, I'm sure somebody will correct me.:)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you Mr C! Will listen! Is there a thread discussing Technicolor elements for our favorite films? Just listened! Great stuff.
Over the years, there have been so many different threads talking about Technicolor movies and their elements. The search function should generate such threads.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Over the years, there have been so many different threads talking about Technicolor movies and their elements. The search function should generate such threads.
Thank you that will keep me quite busy.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Wonder when Ben-Hur makes it to 4k?

That will be another title I would want on 4K blu-ray
Same here. The current HD master is very good; however, RAH indicated that it would need some massaging to get it 4K ready. As large format and anamorphic, if properly done it should be a stunner. Not sure if HDR will add anything, though.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
By the way, the studio that George mentions, but wouldn't name that dumped their Technicolor negatives into the ocean was probably Fox. If I'm wrong, I'm sure somebody will correct me.:)
I actually went looking after listening to the podcast and didn't find anything, so thanks for the follow-up.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

That's the story and the studio I always heard. Not to say it's definitive, but I heard that story so many years ago.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Meet Me in St Louis I would think would be a prime 4K candidate along with as we've already discussed Gigi. There are those who are unhappy with the bluray of American in Paris(though I think it looks good) so is this one too? Is there a 4K audience for these films or is SINR sui generis?

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Quo Vadis needs an upgrade - badly. The Blu contains age-related damage and a few instances of horrendously mis-aligned Technicolor.

Driving Miss Daisy, Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet (derived from 70mm elements), Doctor Zhivago, Grand Prix and Ryan's Daughter would all make fabulous 4K discs.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Quo Vadis needs an upgrade - badly. The Blu contains age-related damage and a few instances of horrendously mis-aligned Technicolor.

Driving Miss Daisy, Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet (derived from 70mm elements), Doctor Zhivago, Grand Prix and Ryan's Daughter would all make fabulous 4K discs.
I hope Casablanca and Ben-Hur get 4K Discs this year. :) ...... The Adventures of Robin Hood, Gone With The Wind, King of Kings, Battle of the Bulge, The Wild Bunch, Logan's Run and Excalibur are on my Wish List for 4K UHD Discs ! ;)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Robin Hood would probably be a WA release at this point, it doesn't have the popularity that SitR, Oz, AAIP, and Gigi does.
Hunh?!?

AoRH may not have the popularity of SitR or WOZ, but I think it would be as popular as AAiP or Gigi (even if a slightly different audience). It's one of the -- if not the -- most popular buckle-squashers of all time.

Speaking of buckle-squashers, I'm still waiting on Captain Blood...

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Hunh?!?

AoRH may not have the popularity of SitR or WOZ, but I think it would be as popular as AAiP or Gigi (even if a slightly different audience). It's one of the -- if not the -- most popular buckle-squashers of all time.

Speaking of buckle-squashers, I'm still waiting on Captain Blood...
Me too!

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Hunh?!?

Robin Hood isn't a cash cow title like this film and other musicals are. Robin Hood hasn't been re-released on DVD and Blu as much as the musicals have, Robin's only out on blu so far was 14 years ago in 2008.

Also the word you're looking for is Swashbuckler not Buckle-Squashers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks