What's new
World Wide Stereo

some questions (1 Viewer)

elitemarine

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Okay, I am getting a stereo that has HDMI ports. Then I am getting a 400 disk cd/dvd player that has HDMI ports. But my 36 inch sony trinitron television only has conponent video ports. Is it worth it to use all HDMI ports for my cd/dvd to the stereo? but only use component from the stereo to the tv? is HDMI for audio and video? if it is then mabye i should use all component video and then use digital audio ports? mabye if HDMI is audio i should use HDMI to go to the stereo just for the audio part but then idk/...

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
The HDMI interface does audio, but when playing DVD's the optical or coax digital connections will server the same purpose with you audio, coax preferably. The new generation of HD-DVD and Blu-Ray have high definition video and high resolution support on HDMI version 1.3. Todays receivers do not have, to my knowledge higher resolution audio support i.e., Dolby Plus, Dolby True HD, and DTS HD. It is my recommendation to buy a good receiver for your needs within your budget or maybe wait until the new technologies are supported by receivers. What is your budget for a new receiver? And what were you looking to buy?

Seth=L

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
HDMI is digital video and digital audio via a single cable. Component is analog video. By most accounts component looks as good as HDMI, unless the signal is high definition. Currently that's pretty much exclusively broadcast signals, either through an antenna, cable of satellite, all of which requires a specific HD tuner. You can get high definition DVD players, but I don't think any discs are available yet that are true hi def. So in your case the primary advantage HDMI offers would be a single connection for everything, instead of four (component video, plus a separate digital audio).

If your receiver does HDMI to component conversion, you could use HDMI between the DVD player and receiver, then do component from the receiver to the TV. If the receiver doesn’t convert, you’ll have to use component for all of it. Even if the receiver does convert, you might want to use component anyway, if you find that those cables are cheaper than HDMI.

Hope this helps

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks