What's new

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Means nothing. Actors regularly sign up for sequels that never get made.

And this is standard practice at Lucasfilm. Felicity Jones had a sequel option in her contract, and they killed her at the end of her movie.

Of course they signed Ehrenreich for another one -- if Solo had been a smash and they hadn't, he would've had all the power in negotiation. I think the end of the movie clearly sets up a sequel with the appearance of you-know-who and the implication that Han will go meet Jabba the Hutt. They expected to do one in success. However, there's no way that they're going to make one now. Solo lost money. To make another one would be the equivalent of setting a pile of money on fire, and the last time I checked, Kathleen Kennedy isn't the Joker. The plot points dangling at the end of Solo will just dangle. The focus at Lucasfilm going forward after Episode IX seems to be on the new trilogies from Rian Johnson and the Game of Thrones guys. New things, new characters, new stores. Solo isn't that.

The reported budget includes every cost involved in the movie.

Nope. Not by a long shot. The film's production budget is one thing and its marketing budget is another thing. Plus, movies frequently go over budget, as Solo certainly did. Also, you're assuming that the studio will report the budgets accurately, which is often not the case.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
You never know what will happen. I however am still scanning the internet for news about “John Carter II” and parts 2 and 3 of “The “Golden Compass”.
Personally I'm waiting for news of the sequel to Clint Eastwood's 1982 film Firefox.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
You never know what will happen. I however am still scanning the internet for news about “John Carter II” and parts 2 and 3 of “The “Golden Compass”.
Theatrical sequels to the Golden Compass are officially dead, however, there will be a TV series based on the books that is scheduled to air next year.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
That doesn't look good enough for my taste (not yet), but who knows what the future will bring.

Actually, watching it makes me think Ehrenreich was pretty well cast, as the CG changes to Ford still left the character looking like Ehrenreich.

Of course, that's on a small laptop screen - I'm guessing the contrast is more obvious on a larger screen. The darkness of the photography plays a factor, too...

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Considering it was an amateur effort it was really pretty good. I didn't find the CGI Leia or Tarkin in Rogue One to be much more convincing, TBH. Especially when they talked.

But yes I think this will get better and more commonplace sooner rather than later.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I didn't find the CGI Leia or Tarkin in Rogue One to be much more convincing

I agree 100%. At least Leia's appearance was mercifully brief, which helped to make it the more successful of the two, but I continue to be surprised how much Tarkin was in the movie, considering how creepy and inauthentic it came off.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I went with a large group of people who don’t know the series as well as I. Everyone recognized that Leia was computer generated. No one but me realized Tarkin was as well.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
When I went to see it, I had no idea Tarkin was CG. I kept thinking throughout his scenes who it was that was playing him.

I didn't know the clones in Attack Of The Clones were CG either the first time I saw it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I watched this again last night, first time on blu-ray. It reinforced my original opinion, that the movie is terrific fun. Sure, it has a few problems (the beginning is visually too dark, for one) but it's exactly what I thought a Han Solo movie should be. I liked Ehrenreich, Glover is terrific, Harrelson and Newton are a hoot, Bettany is suave and menacing, Clarke keeps you guessing, and Chewbacca has the best role he's had since The Empire Strikes Back. I'd really rather see a sequel to this instead of whatever else might be planned.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'd really rather see a sequel to this instead of whatever else might be planned.
If more people felt as you did that might have been a possibility. The film has grown on me though I still feel it was, sorry, unnecessary. Thankfully all these spinoffs have been (hopefully permanently) shelved.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I didn’t particularly enjoy Solo, even though I thought it was a lot better than TFA and TLJ but Woody Harrelson really ruined it for me. I found it pretty boring and it didn’t really get good until the last half hour... not really worth the wait to get there. Lando was the only bright spot in an otherwise dull movie.

I’m really disappointed the Boba Fett movie was cancelled. That was the one I was really looking forward to.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I watched this again last night, first time on blu-ray. It reinforced by original opinion, that the movie is terrific fun. Sure, it has a few problems (the beginning is visually too dark, for one) but it's exactly what I thought a Han Solo movie should be. I liked Ehrenreich, Glover is terrific, Harrelson and Newton are a hoot, Bettany is suave and menacing, Clarke keeps you guessing, and Chewbacca has the best role he's had since The Empire Strikes Back. I'd really rather see a sequel to this instead of whatever else might be planned.

Agreed! I haven’t picked it up yet but it’s at the top of my holiday wish list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks