What's new

Blu-ray Review Star Wars: The Complete Saga Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I never heard how 'The Phantom Menace 3D' did in theaters a few months ago. I wonder if it exceeded the expectations of Lucas, and crew?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Bryan^H said:
I never heard how 'The Phantom Menace 3D' did in theaters a few months ago. I wonder if it exceeded the expectations of Lucas, and crew?
Looking at Box Office Mojo, it made just under $50 million in the U.S. and just over $50 million around the rest of the world. If I remember correctly, the cost of the 3-D conversion is said to be about $12 million and even with advertising costs, etc., the release had to be profitable (especially when you think how much more merchandise it helped sell too).
I don't know if it was confirmed but I saw that The Phantom Menace 3-D disc would be an exclusive with some 3-D TV this year. That being said, you can bet that the window of exclusivity will be over probably by the time they finish with the prequels in 3-D and definitely by the time the whole series is done so LFL can sell them as a set to everyone.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Travis.
I plan on seeing the original trilogy 3D in theaters when they are released. As for the prequels, I'll just wait until they are released on Blu-Ray. By then I'm sure I'll have a 3D tv.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I need to revisit all the Star Wars films especially on Bluray and now that I own a PIoneer Elite SC-05 and Denon BDP-1611UD player with a sub woofer. Will be comparing to the dvd's for sure even though the bluray's will win hands down! I am very surprised that Lucas didn't demand Dolby True HD for Star Wars. So I picked up the Star Wars Blurays really fast before they stop pressing the movies in DTS-HD MA. I still would have picked up these movies in Dolby True HD, but if it would have been DD or DD+ then it would have been no sale for me.
24e87d8a_SWCollectionsmall.jpeg

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz /t/314865/star-wars-the-complete-saga-blu-ray-review/120#post_3945329
So I picked up the Star Wars Blurays really fast before they stop pressing the movies in DTS-HD MA. I still would have picked up these movies in Dolby True HD, but if it would have been DD or DD+ then it would have been no sale for me.

It's just a sound codec, the original files are not DTS or Dolby, from a film history point of view the original cinema releases were Dolby and the revised editions also came out in cinemas in DTS in the nineties but it matters not whether they release them on Blu ray with Dolby or DTS lossless tracks, both will sound as good as the mix allows.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Ultimately you are right it wouldn't have mattered if it was Dolby True HD or DTS-HD MA as long as it has a lossless audio track and the mix is good! I like DTS from the dvd lossy days so I just wanted to have in in a DTS format from a stand point that I thought I never ever would see the DTS logo for Star Wars on home video. Now if Lucas would have released it in standard Dolby Digital there would have been no sale on the Bluray. But if it had come out in Dolby True HD I still would have picked up all 6 films on Bluray disc and been just as happy as long as the mix was good!
e81a116a_IMG_2363.jpeg

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Watching the Jedi Blu-Ray last night, a funny thing popped out at me. Fisher was heavily into cocaine-use at the time of filming...and you can clearly see her coke-nail in this shot (index-finger -- click to get a better look):

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
As I have said before, the tone of ROTJ is completely wrong for the series -- it's like a movie from a different franchise. From the very beginning, the movie has a lighter tone, with humor abundant. Even in the most dramatic parts of the film, there is frequent comic relief and/or cuts to moments of humor. The insinuation from Josh's photo makes perfect sense. The movie feels like it was made by a lot of people laughing a lot.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Wow. I've been watching RotJ for decades and never saw this. This is one of those small details you only see after dozens of viewings.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
i am not squeamish about such things but I think this officially enters TMI territory for me... :D

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I only recently noticed there's another Artoo unit serving drinks on Jabba's sail barge.
I'll wager the fingernail will be gone by the 2017 edition. ;)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by SilverWook /t/314865/star-wars-the-complete-saga-blu-ray-review/120#post_3979690
I only recently noticed there's another Artoo unit serving drinks on Jabba's sail barge.
I'll wager the fingernail will be gone by the 2017 edition.

Maybe George will add a little white "sugar" to the nail, he does like his jokes.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Hi guys, did not know where else to ask this. Are the theatrical trailers included in this release?Have looked into the film discs and the bonus discs but don't see trailers.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Rolando said:
Hi guys, did not know where else to ask this.Are the theatrical trailers included in this release?Have looked into the film discs and the bonus discs but don't see trailers.
No. Wish I would have kept my old dvd set just for those.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Bryan^H said:
No. Wish I would have kept my old dvd set just for those.
..and they didn't "bother" to include that 151 min “Empire of Dreams: The Story of the Star Wars Trilogy” documentary to the Blu-ray set. One of those wtf moments (at least for me).

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Anybody planning on picking up the new BR/DVD combo packs released today? Just curious about what version is actually on the DVD's.

Spotted Star Wars ViewMaster reels on Ebay recently, much to my surprise. (Along with a Darth Vader styled viewer.) They seem to be tied into the 3D releases of AOTC and ROTS that got scuttled. WIsh George had thought of ViewMaster reels when making the OT!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks