What's new

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018) (1 Viewer)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Actors are very often signed up for movies that never happen if the first film of the deal is considered a failure.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
This makes sense. The failure of Solo was due to Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson's comments about male Star Wars fans and they simply decided to vote with their wallets.
This is a serious question but if that was actually the case, how are you going to explain it when Episode IX inevitably makes well over a billion dollars worldwide?

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The failure of Solo was due to Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson's comments about male Star Wars fans and they simply decided to vote with their wallets.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Absolutely nothing.

This kind of fanboy stuff belongs in another forum. We track in facts around here.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I missed this in theaters so I finally got a chance to sit down and watch the Blu-Ray last night. I’ve always wanted a Han Solo movie and found him to be the most interesting character in the Star Wars universe after Boba Fett. That being said...

Umm.... I liked the story as well as Lando’s character. That’s about it. The actor playing Han reminded me of a skinny Jack Black doing a really bad impression of Dennis Quaid doing a really bad Harrison Ford impersonitation. The addition of Woody Harrelson took away more than it added to the movie. I fell asleep after about 45 minutes and had to finish it up this morning. Even after a good nights sleep, it was still a stretch to stay awake and I kept checking my watch to see what time it was and hitting the info button on my Blu-ray player to see how much was left in the movie.

I liked it more than either of the new SW trilogy movies but not nearly as much as Rogue One.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Tempest, Let me explain it to you.

You said fans didn’t show up to Solo because of stuff Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson said about “male Star Wars fans.”

That’s the part that is utter hogwash and has no reasonable place parroted here.

Fans voting with their wallets might be true (or it just wasn’t a strong enough draw) or it was a box office disappointment for a million other reasons like the troubled production that impacted the perception of the film long before it arrived.

Opinions are one thing, but stating opinion as fact will be called out, especially when the actual facts don’t support or outright refute the claim made to the contrary.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Moving on...in light of the box office, it will be interesting to see in the next week or so when numbers come out what the opening week Blu-ray and DVD sales are compared to the other recent films.

The Last Jedi is currently the #1 Blu-ray seller this year, despite the backlash from a segment of the audience, so obviously enough people liked it to make it a big seller.

Personally, this is one where I don't feel a pressing nee to see it again right now and am perfectly content waiting until Black Friday to maybe pick it up for the sake of Star Wars completion, whereas even Rogue One which I didn't love, I broke down and bought by the end of its first week of availability.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I just noticed per Box Office Mojo that Disney officially closed Solo's domestic box office run back on September 20. This means it's totally done now in terms of collecting receipts and won't get any more dollars added to it from straggler dollar theaters and the like.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=untitledhansolostarwarsanthologyfilm.htm

Its total domestic final gross is $213,767,512 from 119 days/17 weeks of theatrical play. That's (currently) good enough for #8 of the year, above A Quiet Place but below Ant-Man and the Wasp. However, given expected strong performances from movies in the upcoming holiday season, it will probably be outside the top ten by the end of the year.

39.5% of its gross came from its opening weekend, which is a higher percentage than any of the other Disney Star Wars films.

And its worldwide gross is now $392,849,523. I'm not sure if it is still playing in any international markets, but if it is, it doesn't have much gas left in the tank, and will not make it past $400 million worldwide.

I don't want to rub salt in the wound, but thought it was important to note the final number.

Earlier in the year, I said I wasn't feeling much excitement around Solo and that I expected it to perform more in line with one of the George Lucas prequels than the other recent Disney-era Star Wars titles. Without adjusting for inflation, the lowest prequel gross was Attack of the Clones at $649 million worldwide (plus another $8.4 million from the IMAX re-release.)

But this is lower even than I think anybody anticipated Solo would go.

Last edited:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Add to that the production budget was at least $300 million as they had to shoot most of the movie twice and they must have spent at least $100 million on marketing and the movie lost money.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Of course the film lost money. I don’t think anyone in any of these threads have stated otherwise.

I mean it’s common knowledge for a while now.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yeah, I knew that before posting my most recent post about the final number. I just think the final number is interesting to note because it is the final number, and because it is unprecedentedly low for a Star Wars film.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
What do you mean? Solo isn't part of a trilogy.

When Alden Ehrenreich was signed for Solo, he was signed for a three film contract, in the anticipation that there would be a sequel.

Exactly.. And there will never be Solo sequel.

I have to disagree. While we may not see a sequel until after Episode IX, there could very well be a sequel to the film. While the chances are probably unlikely, there's never a 100% guarantee that a sequel will never happen. We have to remember that the failure of Solo had to do with Lucasfilm not understanding the way Lord and Miller made their movies and possibly didn't do their own research into these co-directors. They simply went off the boxoffice results from these directors previous films, the same way they did with Colin Trevorow (sp?).

Add to that the production budget was at least $300 million as they had to shoot most of the movie twice and they must have spent at least $100 million on marketing and the movie lost money.

I doubt that. The reported budget includes every cost involved in the movie. According to howstuffworks.com "A film's production budget includes all costs incurred during pre-production, filming, post-production and promotion. That includes buying the rights to the script, actor's salaries, production staff salaries, set construction, special effects, wardrobe, craft services, marketing, dog training -- everything!".

I'm not trying to argue these points but rather stating information that I have found from various sources. I should mention that the official reported final budget was $275 million, which Lucasfilm gave Ron Howard after they decided to shoot most of the footage. I believe the oriignal budget with Lord and Miller was set around $125-150 million. Some films in the franchise had been approved for 200 million, The Force Awakens was the only film to be approved to 245 million. But, I suspect that reason that Solo has such a high budget was due to Ron Howard coming onboard and that Lucasfilm granted a budget increase due to the extra filming that need to be finished and reshot.

Keep in mind that I could be wrong but this is what I dug with five minutes of searching.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I doubt that. The reported budget includes every cost involved in the movie. According to howstuffworks.com "A film's production budget includes all costs incurred during pre-production, filming, post-production and promotion. That includes buying the rights to the script, actor's salaries, production staff salaries, set construction, special effects, wardrobe, craft services, marketing, dog training -- everything!".
Absolutely incorrect. A films budget refers only to its production. Why do you think a film needs to make 2-3 times its budget to break even?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks