What's new

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018) (4 Viewers)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
However, there's no way that they're going to make one now. Solo lost money. To make another one would be the equivalent of setting a pile of money on fire, and the last time I checked, Kathleen Kennedy isn't the Joker.

That hardly means they'll reconsider a sequel, but worth pointing out.

Well, I would say they will DEFINITELY consider a sequel and that it is fairly likely that it will happen because they already have who and what they need contracted to make one.

In today's movie marketplace sequels are far more likely to happen particularly if you are talking Star Wars or super heroes. They may wait a bit or slow down how quickly they turn them out but they will NOT take the idea of making one off the docket.

Solo may have "sort of" flopped but it flopped to the tune of nearly $400 million...that's a number that merits considering making another one.

If they are sitting in an office deciding which film to make and there is an original project and a Han Solo sequel to choose from...they will go Han Solo sequel every time now. Plus they likely know they can make the sequel for less than the first film cost.

They just want a product people know, where they have some idea of the potential result. So, no way they take a Solo sequel off the docket when they know that film has the potential to earn about $400 million.

Also, when they poll theater owners on what they would like, they will certainly take a Han Solo sequel over a project people are not already well aware of. Theater owners do get a say these days. A Solo sequel would put bums in seats and sell popcorn and soda.

I have not seen Solo yet, my wife is the Star Wars fan around these parts, but it looks like it will be this year's Thanksgiving eve or evening film.

I would say don't count any sequel out, they are just too likely to get a green light these days. I mean they are making a Gladiator sequel and there is no reason to do that.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Disney will not make a sequel to Solo. They're just not going to do it.

I have no investment in if they do or don't as I have not seen the picture and it was never really on my radar but based upon how and what films get a green light these days I would say a Solo sequel is more likely than unlikely.

I mean if you guys are counting it out just based on the idea that Solo did not make enough money...well...that's not enough of a reason to kill it. Costs were higher on Solo because they changed directors in the middle of it. So, it really would have been more profitable had things like that not happened.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Disney has announced that they're cutting way back on Star Wars - less than one film per year according Iger - and they have pretty much said that they're completely reconsidering any future "Star Wars Story" movies. A Solo sequel just isn't in the cards.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It doesn't have to be a theatrical movie. They can make a TV movie for their streaming service.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I said it before and I'll say it again: a green light to a Solo sequel would be equivilant to setting a pile of money on fire. Kathleen Kennedy is not going to do that.

*If* Disney wants to extend this particular part of the brand, they can do it in a novel for the few fans who want it without having to spend millions of dollars to make another film. But even that I would say is highly unlikely. They just want to move on to new projects with new stories and new ideas. Why rub salt in their wound?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Disney will not make a sequel to Solo. They're just not going to do it.

Agree. Even if home video allows it to narrowly turn a profit, the movie has the stink of failure around it.

Some movies can do meh theatrically or even flop and generate a huge following on video/cable - hello, "Blade Runner"! - but I don't see the chance that "Solo" will generate such a HUGE groundswell of support that it'll overcome all the negatives attached...

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Some movies can do meh theatrically or even flop and generate a huge following on video/cable - hello, "Blade Runner"! - but I don't see the chance that "Solo" will generate such a HUGE groundswell of support that it'll overcome all the negatives attached...

Even if it did follow the Blade Runner route, which got a sequel decades later, by that point the cast of Solo would be the age of the characters in the new trilogy, so it would be too late for them to reprise the roles from this film. It's done.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I’d rather see a John Carter part 2 movie.

That's not going to happen either, but one doesn't have anything to do with the other. As has been noted before, "Disney" branded live-action is a separate slate from Lucasfilm's slate.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't have to be a theatrical movie. They can make a TV movie for their streaming service.
I think you may see some of the Solo characters/actors in one of the upcoming live action series. Either series COULD work timeline wise (The Mandalorian after Return Of The Jedi and the Cassian Andor one prior to Rogue One) with alot of the characters. And they'll all certainly be making appearances in comics and novels too.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Even if it did follow the Blade Runner route, which got a sequel decades later, by that point the cast of Solo would be the age of the characters in the new trilogy, so it would be too late for them to reprise the roles from this film. It's done.

They could've done a "Blade Runner" sequel back in the 80s - it became a "cult classic" pretty quickly.

But we do agree there's no way they'll do a formal sequel to "Solo", no matter how many Blu-rays it sells...

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Solo:A Star Wars Story
Domestic Total Gross: $213,767,512
Distributor: Buena Vista Release Date: May 25, 2018
Genre: Action / Adventure Runtime: 2 hrs. 15 min.
MPAA Rating: PG-13 Production Budget: N/A
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $213,767,512 54.4%
+ Foreign: $179,157,295 45.6%
= Worldwide: $392,924,807

According to Variety Solo "cost at least $250 million to produce and $150 million to promote."

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/solo-a-star-wars-story-box-office-losses-1202825432/

Since studios only gets back about half of the gross box office, that means they have c. $200 million back on Solo from the theatrical release. Even if over time they earn another $100 million from home video, steaming, etc. (which is way high) that still means they lost about $100 million dollars on Solo. It's not going to ever break even.

No sequel, I'm afraid. I liked the movie, but it's dead, Jim.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
According to Variety Solo "cost at least $250 million to produce and $150 million to promote."

Plus, if those are the numbers Disney is actually reporting, you know the actual number is probably much higher, especially considering the tumultuous production process.

Solo feels like something that they would have done in book form years ago before the idea of non-Episode films came up.

If Disney feels there is enough of an audience to justify it (which is a big if and I still kind of doubt), they can hire a writer to give us Solo 2 as one of the numerous book projects Lucasfilm has going at any given time, which would be a far less expensive way of exploiting any lingering fan desire than pouring millions of dollars into another movie.

If Solo 2 were to come out as a novel, it would probably sell comparably to other similar Star Wars books for dedicated fans, which means Disney has sales numbers they can refer to for those books to estimate how much money it would bring in. And they can see if it makes any sense for them to hire someone to do the story that way.

I still think they're just going to move on. I'm just observing that one of the benefits of Star Wars becoming a multimedia franchise is that there's a way to continue this story that doesn't involve movie-size budgets.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks