What's new

Blu-ray Review Star Wars: The Complete Saga Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Finally watched ep iv last night and u know I'm pretty happy with it. Effectively it's the special edition minus most of the flaws that were brought up in the 2004 DVD - while not fixed properly the lightsabre on the falcon is basically back to how it always was and not green and the changes to the rocks and kenobi's call are so minor that I barely noticed it - what it accounts for all of 3 seconds though I really don't get why they bothered.. Sound is also much improved.Maybe it's just been a while since I watched it but enjoyed the film again and on my nice new plasma it looks stunning in places. Still need to lose most of the new Mos Eisley bits though the greedo scene is a lot better now. Delete those stupid buzzing flying robots please !!!!

Watched Episodes I and II....absolutely beautiful transfers! I was very happy to experience the new editions looking so spiffy!

WillG

Senior HTF Member
while not fixed properly the lightsabre on the falcon is basically back to how it always was and not green and the changes
Watching ANH now and was looking very closely at Luke's lightsaber on the Falcon. While I did see some color inconsistencies, I didn't find it nearly as bad as many of the reports suggested. One thing I do like, and I don't think I've seen too much discussion on this (although, there is a myriad of lengthy threads) is that, while the alien language subtitled appear to be player generated, they do look to be in the right font and the right place in the frame.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I hope that if they ever release the OT films individually, we'll again get an OOT bonus disc with each one (hopefully anamorphic and in HD this time).
Unrealistic, I know.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
WillG said:
Watching ANH now and was looking very closely at Luke's lightsaber on the Falcon. While I did see some color inconsistencies, I didn't find it nearly as bad as many of the reports suggested. One thing I do like, and I don't think I've seen too much discussion on this (although, there is a myriad of lengthy threads) is that, while the alien language subtitled appear to be player generated, they do look to be in the right font and the right place in the frame.
Check out Return Of The Jedi, Vaders pinkish lightsaber cores, all wrong, it stuck out more to me than any scene in Episode IV.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
Pet peeve time. Sorry. Can someone please fix the note that the review by Matt Hough is "COMING SOON"???

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by robbbb1138 /t/314865/star-wars-the-complete-saga-blu-ray-review/90#post_3854665
Pet peeve time. Sorry. Can someone please fix the note that the review by Matt Hough is "COMING SOON"???
I don't mean to be thick, Robb (it just comes naturally at times! ). Where is this note that needs "fixing?"

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /t/314865/star-wars-the-complete-saga-blu-ray-review/90#post_3854702
I don't mean to be thick, Robb (it just comes naturally at times! ). Where is this note that needs "fixing?"
Never mind. Found it...and fixed.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

hampsteadbandit

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rob cole
I've just had the pleasure of watching the prequels and original films on my Blu-Ray HD boxset I picked up on a deal last week here in the UK
thoughts?
the prequels were stunning in HD, with incredible PQ and AQ, and I know many hate these prequels but I quite enjoy them
the films themselves are irritating in places (Jar-Jar Binks, etc.) but also very gripping in the action sequences and battles, especially Episode III which is somewhat sad / depressing as it sets up the transition to Episode IV with the fall of several major characters
the original films were quite a revelation in HD, although many PQ flaws became quickly evident
I am watching on a large LG flat-screen with Sony 5.1 home cinema system, so a good system, but not a huge projection system or "reference audio" setup as I am sure many forum members have in their homes
even on my home system, most noticeable in the original films was the brilliant set design, costumes and "real world grittiness" compared to the slick prequels, what I saw often looked real because it was (in terms of the sets)
however, the battle sequences often revealed the use of minitature model sets, most noticeable in Episode IV
I often saw strange watery blue banding around special effects shots in both Episodes IV and V, for characters and space battles featuring vehicles; a good example is the addition of a head shot inside a vehicle where a blue halo was very prominent around the face
Episode VI was easily the most refined of the original films, although the issue of several minutes of film being off-focus was something I picked up on, before coming to this forum and reading how another forum member had seen this
the addition of modern computer effects into the original films was quite jarring in my humble opinion, because it sat completely at odds with the model making and physical effects of that era?
there are additional bits that confuse my memory of watching the original films as a kid, and then in later years as a young adult at Christmas on Television and then on home format releases
did I see these elements in the original releases? were they added for the DVD releases? added for the HD releases?
was Anakin Skywalker's "ghost jedi" image (sitting next to Yoda and Obi-Wan) altered for the end of Episode VI following the release of the prequels (featuring Haydin Christensen) - I am sure it was originally the actor who played the helmetless Darth Vader in the original films?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
hampsteadbandit said:
did I see these elements in the original releases? were they added for the DVD releases? added for the HD releases?
was Anakin Skywalker's "ghost jedi" image (sitting next to Yoda and Obi-Wan) altered for the end of Episode VI following the release of the prequels (featuring Haydin Christensen) - I am sure it was originally the actor who played the helmetless Darth Vader in the original films?
Yeah, the old Anakin ghost was replaced with the young Anakin ghost at the end of Return Of The Jedi for the DVD and that continued for the Blu-ray.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Yes, it was Sebastian Shaw as the Force ghost Anakin until the 2004 DVD release.
Edit: Travis, you're lucky my computer decided to have memory issues or I totally would have answered that first. :D

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by johnSM /t/314865/star-wars-the-complete-saga-blu-ray-review/90#post_3853475
At last a reviewer who has the guts to tell it like it is.....
Whoa! Hold up! I was with you through most of this John, but once you suggest that Matt lacks "guts" (as in somehow giving in to external pressure or being "cowed by the man") because the review is not "negative" enough to suit you and your personal take on it, then I draw the line!

It's stupid crap like that comment that gives fanboys a bad name and I think you owe Hough an apology.

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Will Krupp said:
Whoa! Hold up!  I was with you through most of this John, but once you suggest that Matt lacks "guts" (as in somehow giving in to external pressure or being "cowed by the man") because the review is not "negative" enough to suit you and your personal take on it, then I draw the line!  

It's stupid crap like that comment that gives fanboys a bad name and I think you owe Hough an apology.

Cool your heels Will - I was referring to just about all the reviews I'd read (at that point!) thus far pertaining to this release; I wasn't singling out Hough specifically, though granted in context with the rest of this thread it does come across that way, and that I am sorry for.
I still maintain - as is my right - that many reviewers took the safe/easy path out in reviewing this set. However, exactly the same situation occurred with the 2004 DVD release so it's no great surprise...
However many ARE enjoying the set - faults and all - and good for them I guess. It's not for me however - My desire to own this set for the original documentaries has faded for me, as indeed has my love for Star Wars in general. I'm tired of what the saga has become, the way it has split fandom right down the middle, the way film history is being repeatedly messed with, Lucas' peculiar attitude to the original films, the endless online arguments, fixes that are promised and not delivered etc etc etc. Plenty of other classic films to buy that are done correctly, and to get behind.
Best,
- John

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Gee if ever their was a Blue ray release where you can't part with the dvd set.While there is plenty of extras on this set,The best stuff was on the last dvd boxes

Jon Teboe

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon Teboe
I am surprised on how sloppy some of these transfers are . Unfixed garbage mattes that could have been easily fixed; the weird 4 minutes of blurred image in Jedi. Very sloppy work.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
ijthompson said:
I agree with TheDigitalBits in that the absolute last opportunity Lucas has to sell us Star Wars on physical media again will be... you guessed it... the unaltered original trilogy.
I have been of this opinion since the initial Blu release. I think George is more a brilliant business man rather than a bully who purposely angers fans of the OT. And yes, it will sell huge when released.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Bryan^H /t/314865/star-wars-the-complete-saga-blu-ray-review/90#post_3923908
I have been of this opinion since the initial Blu release. I think George is more a brilliant business man rather than a bully who purposely angers fans of the OT. And yes, it will sell huge when released.

There's nothing brilliant about it IMO. He simply recognizes the obvious - fans will buy pretty much anything Star Wars that he puts out there for sale. You don't have to be a genius to analyze previous sales data. It's a no-brainer.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think the lack of originals is simply to due to Lucas feeling that they're incomplete and not some really long term plan to re-sell the movies. While it would most likely be profitable (even with the large amount required to restore the movie), I don't see profit being enough of a driving factor to make the guy compromise his artistic desires when he already has more money than could spend in 10 lifetimes.
I'd love to be wrong though.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I thought it had been previously established it wouldn't cost all that much to restore the films?
If George really thinks they're incomplete, he should offer up refunds to everyone who bought a copy prior to 1995. ;)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by Bryan^H /t/314865/star-wars-the-complete-saga-blu-ray-review/90#post_3923908

I agree that it would be huge if the original films were released on blu-ray, but it is not the last time they can be released. Once the 3D conversions are done, we will eventually see 3D blu-ray editions, either individually or as a set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks