What's new

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018) (2 Viewers)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Can we please keep Harry Potter and the Cursed Child spoilers out of this thread? Not all of us have seen the play yet but I would very much like to enjoy it blindly when it’s finally my turn to in September. I shouldn’t have to worry about spoilers for a Harry Potter play in a Han Solo movie thread.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That's fair. I was simply using it as a point of comparison between my feelings for it and those who dislike The Last Jedi. I wasn't specific about any particular spoilers, but if you feel spoiled, I apologize. I'll go back and edit my post to word it in a different way.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just know literally nothing about the play other than its title. I've worked hard to keep it that way and the people I know who have been able to see it have all been very closed lipped about it. Apparently the theater is encouraging people not to talk about it to preserve the experience, which I appreciate. I have no idea what its about, what characters feature into it, or anything, and I'd like to stay that way until I see it. Thanks!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I edited my previous post to be even more vague about Cursed Child (although i didn't include any plot points in it to begin with.) I'll just say that some of the reasons I didn't like it are similar to reasons cited by others for disliking The Last Jedi, which is why I brought up the comparison. My point was simply that my extreme disdain for it doesn't change my affection for the rest of the franchise. I also think that the people who don't like The Last Jedi will be able to compartmentalize it and still like at least the original trilogy, which was my whole point in bringing the comparison up.

(Also, a good chunk of/probably the majority of the fandom already read it in text form because the script was published simultaneously with the London opening, so the story is "out there." But if you can avoid it, good for you.)

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I just thought that was pure homage to The Godfather Part II with Vito Corleone getting a new last name at Ellis Island.

Even if it was, it seemed ridiculous to me and turns his cool last name from the other movies into a bad pun.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Even if it was, it seemed ridiculous to me and turns his cool last name from the other movies into a bad pun.
I'd have rather seen them just leave it alone too but who the hell, even on Corellia, has the name 'Solo'? That's like having the name Joey Ramone or Rob Zombie or Ringo Starr- it's too cool and fitting to be anything but fake. If they were going to say it was fake, I'd rather have it have been assigned to him than something he personally made up.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'd rather have it have been assigned to him than something he personally made up.

Wasn't it assigned to him? I only saw the movie once on its opening weekend, so I might be wrong about this, and please correct me if I am. But I think he said, "I don't have people" and then the guy he was talking to put "Solo" on the form, rather than him specifically saying "My name is Han Solo" in that moment. Regardless, I wish they'd just left it alone. Nobody I know was asking for an origin story for his name. But apparently Bob Iger greenlit the movie off of the idea for that scene, so they were always going to have it in there.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't it assigned to him? I only saw the movie once on its opening weekend, so I might be wrong bout this, but I think he said, "I don't have people" and then the guy he was talking to put "Solo" on the form, rather than him specifically saying "My name is Han Solo" in that moment. Regardless, I wish they'd just left it alone. Nobody I know was asking for an origin story for his name. But apparently Bob Iger greenlit the movie off of the idea for that scene, so they were always going to have it in there.
Yeah, that's what happened. I meant that I'd rather the name have been given to him than something he thought was cool and gave himself.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'd have rather seen them just leave it alone too but who the hell, even on Corellia, has the name 'Solo'? That's like having the name Joey Ramone or Rob Zombie or Ringo Starr- it's too cool and fitting to be anything but fake. If they were going to say it was fake, I'd rather have it have been assigned to him than something he personally made up.

Really? Almost ALL of the character names in Star Wars are a lark. Why single out "Solo"?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Really? Almost ALL of the character names in Star Wars are a lark. Why single out "Solo"?
Yeah, it's supposed to be fun (and it is) but it's also the most on the nose name of a major character in the entire series. Nearly all the rest of the names are just weird things that George Lucas dreamed up. Even Skywalker doesn't hit you over the head as much as Solo does.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I agree that the new trilogy characters aren't nearly as compelling as the original ones. The prequels had much the same issue. The original trilogy cast and characters captured the imagination of moviegoers in a way that I don't think any movie or series has since, and that's really a tall order to ask any followups to replicate. I don't think Star Wars is nearly done as a franchise but expectations should be kept in check.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Yeah, it's supposed to be fun (and it is) but it's also the most on the nose name of a major character in the entire series. Nearly all the rest of the names are just weird things that George Lucas dreamed up. Even Skywalker doesn't hit you over the head as much as Solo does.

Well, Skywalker sounds and works better than the original idea Lucas had... Starkiller.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
No disrespect intended to Enrenreich (who I liked in Solo), but what do you think Solo's box office fortunes would have been if the film starred Chris Pratt as Han Solo?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not sure the casting choice would have made a big difference here. A segment of the audience seems dead-set against anyone that's not Harrison Ford.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks