What's new

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018) (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
No disrespect intended to Enrenreich (who I liked in Solo), but what do you think Solo's box office fortunes would have been if the film starred Chris Pratt as Han Solo?
I don’t think it would have made much of a difference because the casting wasn’t the main issue here. It was the audience apathy towards the idea of the film in the first place.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
No disrespect intended to Enrenreich (who I liked in Solo), but what do you think Solo's box office fortunes would have been if the film starred Chris Pratt as Han Solo?
I think it's a tough call. A bigger star would have probably helped the box office a little bit but I don't think any actor could have made the movie a hit. Plus, going with a mostly unknown actor meant that the audience didn't have any preconceived notion of the new Han Solo that they would have had with a bigger star.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Audiences may have embraced the film if it was made in the '80s with Ford, but I think the issue is not enough people wanted to see an actor in the role who wasn't Ford. That's not Enrenreich's fault, but there simply wasn't that much demand to see a Han Solo prequel with any nw actor.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Well, I finally watched the movie. It wasn't bad ... it wasn't great, either. It was just an "okay", popcorn movie to watch on the weekend. Personally, and I'm a first generation Star Wars fan, having seen the original in theaters when it came out in 1977, I think the movie suffered from trying to take itself too seriously. Would I have preferred that Harrison Ford portray the younger version of himself? Sure. But, I think the main problem is that they tried to pack in too much content into this film and it suffers as a whole.

There the first meeting of Han Solo and Chewbacca, there's the meetup between Han Solo and Lando Calrissian, there's Han Solo joining the Imperial Navy, there's Han Solo winning the Millenium Falcon and then there's the "heist' type movie at the center of it all. The movie also suffers from not digging deeper into the character development of the other characters. We already know Han and Chewie's story but the rest seem to be relegated to one page of dialogue explaining why they are there in the first place.

It's doubtful if we'll ever see sequels for "Solo" as it would have been interesting to see Darth Maul, Qi'ra, Beckett and the rest of the gang. I think Lucasfilm is missing out something if they just stop making movies in the era of the original trilogy. Simply because there is a wealth of story-telling potential; such as the fight between the Rebellion and the Empire. IN the original trilogy, we only get a brief glimpse of that battle and it was opened up a little bit in Rogue One but I think there is truly more movies to be made regarding the Rebellion vs Empire stories. Most fans don't want to be bothered to check out videogames, books and comics to get a real semblance of that war.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I saw that scene while watching the Star Wars Show earlier today. I definitely see why it was cut. It was just Han and Chewie having a snow ball fight.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
To be honest, there is a Star Wars Han Solo fan film that I discovered on youtube some time ago that I found far better than the Solo movie we eventually got. It's 90 minutes long and very well done:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
A youtube video is illegal to post here? It's a fan film, which Lucasfilm does support. Lucasfilm gives out awards every year for the best fan films. LOLS
Just because LFL supports it doesn’t mean the HTF supports It. Was just curious.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's funny -- the Honest Trailer is great and mostly nailed it but they didn't really address my biggest issue with the film.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
When that knock on the door comes you'll know who sent them to have you dragged off to the gulag now. :laugh:

LMAO. I'm not worried. Embedding links is not a violation of copyright laws, only uploading the content is. But, all seriousness aside, Lucas never had a problem with the fan films and I haven't heard anything about the new guard at Lucasfilm knocking down anyone's doors. I'm certain if there was a problem posting that link, then a moderator would have said something to me about it and I would have backed off.

BTW, why are debating this inane discussion, anyways? *scratches head in bewilderment*

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I picked up the 4K Blu-ray at Target today. It was a blind buy. I watched it this afternoon.

I don't know what the hell is going on with the 64% RT audience score because I thought it was fantastic. 4.5 out of 5 stars fantastic.

For me, it had everything I'd expect from a Star Wars film. Action, love, humor, evil villains, and more action. I'm very glad I made the blind buy leap!

Those that hated on it have lost their minds. :)

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks