What's new

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018) (4 Viewers)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Reviews are popping up everywhere tonight - EW, Rolling Stone, Variety, etc. - and the general consensus seems to be that the movie is good, not great, and that it doesn't take enough chances. Everyone seems to agree Donald Glover is the best thing in the movie.

The reviews - which are just fair - haven't diminished my enthusiasm for it. They make it sound like the kind of movie I was hoping for.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
http://screencrush.com/solo-star-wars-story-review/

"Solo very clearly teases a potential sequel. (A seprequel?) If we get it, maybe it will explain how Ehrenreich, 28, turned into Harrison Ford, 33 at the time of the first Star Wars, a man he looks, sounds, and acts nothing like. "

This, and Lawrence Kasdan(and his son) writing it are the reasons I will be skipping it. No need for it to exist. None at all.

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
If you consider checking your "expectations at the theater door". Not exactly a ringing endorsement. ;)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Reviews are about on par of what they were for Jurassic World which did phenomenal at the box office.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If you consider checking your "expectations at the theater door". Not exactly a ringing endorsement. ;)
I take that as "have reasonable expectations". In other words, people should expect a fun & entertaining movie and as long as they don't have some impossible dream that a movie is going to make them feel like they felt when they saw the original movie when they were a kid, they're likely to be happy with this one.

If I were to compare it to other series, I'd say Solo will probably be like Ant-Man or Doctor Strange and not The Avengers or Black Panther. Or in Pixar terms, Solo will be like Monsters, Inc. or Ratatouille and not Toy Story 3 or Up. Good but not anyone's favorite of the franchise.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Monsters, Inc.

I think actually Monsters University is a better comparison because it's also a prequel from a completely different angle which no one at all asked for. It's fine, perfectly watchable and entertaining while it's on, there's nothing really terribly wrong with it, and I had no problem adding it to my collection. But it's not one that I pull off the shelf too often either.

If Solo works as well as Monsters University, I would be fine with that result.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Please no more mining old characters for more movies. Imo Solo is enough and should be the end. Please.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Please no more mining old characters for more movies. Imo Solo is enough and should be the end. Please.
I wish they would/could do something 'small' like a TV show or a limited series or a telemovie for a character like Lando. That way, they could use an old character while still moving forward with new movies. As of now, the comic books and novels have become the home of the OT characters (which is great since you don't need to worry about recasting or any actors' ages). Speaking of Lando, the most recent SW novel features him in his Millennium Falcon days and there's a comic book mini-series starting at the end of the month featuring Donald Glover Lando.

That being said, they've clearly got a big slate of new characters & movies planned with the Johnson trilogy, the Weiss/Benioff movies, Jon Favreau's TV show & the upcoming Resistance animated series so even if they did an Obi-Wan or Lando movie, it wouldn't really be indicative of LFL only sticking to the past.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I would almost be more interested in a movie about Lando following Return Of The Jedi, rather an a prequel Lando story. Here's a guy who was basically a scoundrel his whole life, who spent more time looking after himself than everyone else combined, and suddenly thanks to his role in blowing up Death Star 2, he's a hero. The galaxy must know his name now, and might even think of him as being a wholly good guy with no complications. I think it would be interesting to explore the difference between that perception and the more complicated reality.

I don't necessarily mind revisiting a few characters, or even the past under the right circumstances. What I'm hoping that LFL steers clear of, in the future, is the temptation to turn every throwaway line from the original series of films into its own new megabudget installment. I don't want every frame of A New Hope unpacked and turned into its own feature.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Dengar movie when?!
I'm camping out for that one or a Wat Tambor (see below for his star making scene in Attack Of The Clones) movie.

wat-tambor-bio-1_f4c2c1f7.jpeg

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
What I'm hoping that LFL steers clear of, in the future, is the temptation to turn every throwaway line from the original series of films into its own new megabudget installment. I don't want every frame of A New Hope unpacked and turned into its own feature.
How about a movie about the bounty hunter they ran into on Ord Mantell or Lando's manuever at the battle of Taanab or Luke's previous adventures buying power converters at Tosche Station?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If they had stayed on the path that they originally charted, a movie about the origins of the Tosche Station seemed like an inevitable possibility.

Actually, this immediately brought to mind a throwaway line that Obi-Wan Kenobi had to Anakin Skywalker in Episode III, when Obi-Wan says to Anakin, "That business on Cato Neimoidia doesn't… doesn't count" in reference to how many times Anakin had saved him on a mission. It's a funny line. It shows the rapport that the two characters have developed over the years and how they've grown even closer while fighting in the Clone Wars together, and it also demonstrates that messy situations where all does not go as planned has become the norm for them. It gives color to the movie, while hinting at a larger world - but it's also a self-contained joke, it's clearly not meant to invite an in-depth exploration. That seems to be the kind of roots for spin-offs that LFL has been going for lately, and I hope they a) never make that movie and b) allow a joke to be a joke every now and then.

I can't believe we're apparently getting a Kessel Run movie. That's another line that was clearly meant to be a joke, meant to invoke a larger world without having to explain it all, and also to make clear that while Han's ship is pretty cool to us humans of earth, it's not all that to the people living in his world. It's a throwaway line.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks