What's new

Soderbergh's Documentary not on Solaris DVD? (1 Viewer)

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
When I first heard about Solaris being released on DVD, it was said to include a documentary done my Soderbergh. I just read a review on ddfile.com and it was not mentioned in the review. Has the documentary been cut from the disc?

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I know there was a lot of material that was cut from the film as well and thought there would be some deleted scenes.

And speaking of Soderbergh, whatever happened to the rumor that 1993's superb "King of the Hill" was coming to DVD this year?

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
I don't mean a commentary or dedleted scenes. Soderbergh recorded a documentary about the making of Solaris. This was listed on several news articles I read on other dvd sites. When I read the review on dvdfile, the documentary was not mentioned. And yes, wehn the hell is King of The Hill going to be released?! along with Kafka.

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
Here is what dvdfile had to say about the release some months back:
Not to be overshadowed by all the Daredevil hype is Steven Soderbergh's underrated remake of the sci-fi classic Solaris, which will also debut on the 29th. Presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround, extras include what is sure to be a great audio commentary with Soderbergh and producer James Cameron, the HBO First Look special and Soderbergh's own "Making Of Solaris" documentary, a "screenplay still gallery" and trailers. Retail is $26.95.

And here is the lin to it:
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-...003/04_15.html

Richard Smith

Stunt Coordinator
If Soderbergh is going to release his original cut later on maybe he's held the documentary back to include on that. I'm guessing thats why there's no deleted scenes on this release as well.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
I'm guessing thats why there's no deleted scenes on this release as well.
There's much discussion about deleted scenes on the commentary track, where the filmmakers agree that it would be cool to make them publicly available at some point in the future. Both tacitly acknowledge that the film took a commercial and critical hammering, and it seems that the wounds are still a little too raw for them to be washing their dirty laundry in public. If the film had been a huge sucess, then it's likely that we'd be seeing this deleted material, as their creative decisions would have been validated.

You can read my full review of the R2 version, which appears to have identical content to the R1 disc, here.

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
I know that Soderbergh's original cut was supposed to be a lot different from the theatrical one. But...since this made no money at the bo, we will never see it...maybe.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
And yes, when the hell is King of The Hill going to be released?! along with Kafka.
Kafka has been out for a long time --
click here.

Back on topic -- I never heard anything implying that Soderbergh cut Solaris to its present form against his will -- I don't doubt that he started out with a different/longer version, but I would think that the creative decisions in the editing process were his.

Ted

Allan Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
I got the R1 DVD today and immediately listened to the quite entertaining commentary track. Soderbergh does mention that it would be nice to make his first cut available to the public at some point (Would make a nice Criterion edition, IMO ;) ) but that he's perfectly happy with the current version.

I skimmed the featurettes and they're basic EPK stuff, unfortunately.

Allan Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
I must have slept through that part. It happens when I have to listen to the same soundbites over and over (set to loud, pounding music in one of the featurettes :angry:). But at least they're not entirely interchangeable.

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
When i said that I wanted Kafka to be released on DVD, I meant Region 1, since...y'know I happen to live in Region 1. Region 5 will do me no good. But thanks for the link. I like the cover art.

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I'm still up in the air on buying this one.

A director's cut might have been a real selling point. I was blown away by the original Russian version of Solaris, but something about Soderbergh's current version didn't work really well for me.

If the documentary is good, then it might tip the scales toward me buying!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks