What's new

Soderbergh's SOLARIS: On DVD July 29th (1 Viewer)

Matt_P

Second Unit
Here are the specs for the upcoming Solaris DVD from dvdfile.com:

"Not to be overshadowed by all the Daredevil hype is Steven Soderbergh's underrated remake of the sci-fi classic Solaris, which will also debut on the 29th. Presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround, extras include what is sure to be a great audio commentary with Soderbergh and producer James Cameron, the HBO First Look special and Soderbergh's own "Making Of Solaris" documentary, a "screenplay still gallery" and trailers. Retail is $26.95. "

I was one of the 3 people who saw this at the theater, and actually liked it (one of the highlights of the year for me, if you can believe it). Sounds like a great commentary (Soderbergh's are usually good, ex. The Limey). Can't wait for this one!

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
My friend and I saw Solaris in a semi-croweded theater on a Sunday night after it opened so your "only three people saw it" theory is total bullshit. ;) Then again, two-thirds of the theater did walk out before the film even ended, so.... :)

I loved Solaris (liked it a lot more than the Russian version) and I WILL buy the DVD when it comes out.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Another Cameron commentary! Glad he came out of hibernation. So we're getting, in addition to this, his commentaries for Terminator 2 and Aliens (unconfirmed). Now for Titanic: SE with commentary, and an Ultimate Edition of The Abyss, anamorphic and with commentary. As far as Solaris, I loved it. So, Matt, your theory is wrong. The total is now up to 4. I have also Criterion's Solaris, which is a great DVD too. I just wonder if they'll include the awesome teaser. I enjoy teasers more than most trailers.

Matt_P

Second Unit
Unreal....other people like this movie! In this case, I am happy to be wrong.

....getting emotional here....;)

Speaking of trailers, I thought the TV spots were excellent, as well. Still trying to track down what music they used for them (a repetitive piano/synth tune)....sounded like Moby. Anyone know?

Doug D

Stunt Coordinator
wasn't the DVD supposed to also contain Soderbergh's alternate cut? Regardless, I'm interested - I had mixed feelings coming out of it, but it's definitely grown in my mind over time. I wanted to check it again in the theaters about three weeks after I saw it, but it was already gone.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I guess I can't understand why people would walk out...but then, I loved the film so I'm biased. A definite buy for me.

Bruce

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Still trying to track down what music they used for them (a repetitive piano/synth tune)....sounded like Moby.
Just going from (admittedly faulty) memory here, but wasn't it Moby's "God Moving Over the Face of the Waters" from his CD Everything Is Wrong (also on the soundtrack to Heat)?

Trent_N

Agent
I was one of the 3 people who saw this at the theater, and actually liked it (one of the highlights of the year for me, if you can believe it). Sounds like a great commentary (Soderbergh's are usually good, ex. The Limey). Can't wait for this one!
Oh man I loved the film. My wife and I saw it near the end of its short run and we had the theater to ourselves. It added so much to the effect of the movie with the whole 2001-esque 'isolation of space' thing. It was a neat experience.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I will ABSOLUTELY get this disc. I loved the film, and I fall asleep to Cliff Martinez's score every single night. EXTREMELY underrated film.

Declan

Second Unit
I wanted to see this film since I first heard about it. Being in a small part of Northern Ireland our multiplex only gets the real major movies in (come to think of it, we did'nt even get Analyze This) so this will be a definite purchase for me.

Matt_P

Second Unit
Glad to see there are a few more folks who love this film as much as I do.

I did hear the DVD was to be a director's cut....not sure what happened.

As to the music in the TV spots, I'm sure it's not Moby's "God Moving Over the Face of the Waters," a great song I am familiar with. However, it did sound similar...

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I think my review, which was the first in the official review thread, says it all in regards to my feelings on this release...

Solaris 10 of 10
NO SPOILERS

Haunting, somber, patient, subtle, beautiful, thoughtful, introspective...this film is not a narrative, it's a poem. At every moment it skirts direct confrontation, instead relying on innuendo and implication. It leaves moments of quiet for the viewer to digest the story for themselves, to make of it what they will, and to philosophize to themselves a bit.

This is a thinking viewer's sci-fi, not unlike 2001 or Zardoz. And in that way I found it to be far superior to something like Minority Report.

Soderbergh brings all of his usual style - dialog over the top of other scenes, many quiet moments with no dialog (not unlike 2001), many unscored moments with only soft dialog, using focus (or lack of to be precise) for various effects, same color palette of golden hues and blue hues, etc. Basically all the things I mentioned in my Out of Sight discussion in the cinematography thread.

But then there are the 2001 scenes, so many that it had to be intentional. The film often feels like you've stepped into 2001, in a good way. It's not a ripoff, it just treats the material in a similar fashion. I even caught a Starchild-like moment.

The cast is thin, really only 5 parts, and each is done exceptionally well. Clooney has some moments that are just perfect (one frightened reaction is not only so well done, but it flies in the face of what you would expect were this a normal Hollywood film).

Beyond all this execution is a deep and thoughtful story. Man's relationship with god and creation, love, forgiveness, human needs, and more. It's the kind of film that can open a lot of doors in your mind, bringing forth all sorts of thoughts about the meaning of life, but without forcing you to go there.

In fact, that's the finest thing I can say about the film. It never once forces anything upon the audience. It just lays things out and lets the audience come to it.

Finally, the score is just remarkable. Again 2001 creeps in. The score is a cross between Ligeti's 2001 stuff and the kind of score used for the final scene in Traffic, if you can imagine that (is that scene Eno or Martinez? I assume Martinez since it is his work here in Solaris). It's softer than Ligeti, but more intense than Martinez's Traffic work.

I can't recommend the film highly enough if the above review sounds like your type of film.
While I like Tarkovsky's version, I think Soderbergh improved upon it quite a bit by cutting back to the essentials (eliminating the Earth sequences which don't even exist in the novel).

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Excellent...I loved the film...I guess people dont like intelligent films anymore...shame...in 20 years it'll probably be a bit of a classic among sci-fi fans...

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure it even came out near me. :frowning:

I'll probably get it though, or at least rent it if possible. I enjoyed the original but it didn't exactly leave me flabbergasted (I gave it :star: :star: out of 4 if you care to know) and I'd heard good things about this from both people I know who caught it..

Matt_P

Second Unit
Thanks, Michael. I did see the Soundtracknet list previously, but was unsure which of these songs is the track I'm referring to. Some of it is unreleased. I just found this link with a detailed breakdown of the various Solaris trailer music:

http://www.promoguy.net/archives/001676.php

According to this site, the song in question is "Fragile," from the list in the previous post. Here is a link to a zip file containing the TV spot w/ "Fragile" :

http://www.georgeclooney.org/video/S...Commercial.zip

Great commercial, with great music. I hope it's on the disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks