Soderbergh's SOLARIS: On DVD July 29th

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Matt_P, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Matt_P

Matt_P Second Unit

Here are the specs for the upcoming Solaris DVD from dvdfile.com:

"Not to be overshadowed by all the Daredevil hype is Steven Soderbergh's underrated remake of the sci-fi classic Solaris, which will also debut on the 29th. Presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround, extras include what is sure to be a great audio commentary with Soderbergh and producer James Cameron, the HBO First Look special and Soderbergh's own "Making Of Solaris" documentary, a "screenplay still gallery" and trailers. Retail is $26.95. "

I was one of the 3 people who saw this at the theater, and actually liked it (one of the highlights of the year for me, if you can believe it). Sounds like a great commentary (Soderbergh's are usually good, ex. The Limey). Can't wait for this one!

2. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

3. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

My friend and I saw Solaris in a semi-croweded theater on a Sunday night after it opened so your "only three people saw it" theory is total bullshit. [​IMG] Then again, two-thirds of the theater did walk out before the film even ended, so.... [​IMG]

I loved Solaris (liked it a lot more than the Russian version) and I WILL buy the DVD when it comes out.

4. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Another Cameron commentary! Glad he came out of hibernation. So we're getting, in addition to this, his commentaries for Terminator 2 and Aliens (unconfirmed). Now for Titanic: SE with commentary, and an Ultimate Edition of The Abyss, anamorphic and with commentary. As far as Solaris, I loved it. So, Matt, your theory is wrong. The total is now up to 4. I have also Criterion's Solaris, which is a great DVD too. I just wonder if they'll include the awesome teaser. I enjoy teasers more than most trailers.

5. Matt_P

Matt_P Second Unit

Unreal....other people like this movie! In this case, I am happy to be wrong.

....getting emotional here....[​IMG]

Speaking of trailers, I thought the TV spots were excellent, as well. Still trying to track down what music they used for them (a repetitive piano/synth tune)....sounded like Moby. Anyone know?

6. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I am in! Great flick.

--
    Holadem

7. Doug D

Doug D Stunt Coordinator

wasn't the DVD supposed to also contain Soderbergh's alternate cut? Regardless, I'm interested - I had mixed feelings coming out of it, but it's definitely grown in my mind over time. I wanted to check it again in the theaters about three weeks after I saw it, but it was already gone.

8. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I guess I can't understand why people would walk out...but then, I loved the film so I'm biased. A definite buy for me.

Bruce

9. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

10. Nathan V

Nathan V Supporting Actor

Count me in. Very good film. I just wish it was longer. Any word on cover art?

11. Trent_N

Trent_N Agent

12. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    I will ABSOLUTELY get this disc. I loved the film, and I fall asleep to Cliff Martinez's score every single night. EXTREMELY underrated film.

13. Declan

Declan Second Unit

I wanted to see this film since I first heard about it. Being in a small part of Northern Ireland our multiplex only gets the real major movies in (come to think of it, we did'nt even get Analyze This) so this will be a definite purchase for me.

14. Matt_P

Matt_P Second Unit

Glad to see there are a few more folks who love this film as much as I do.

I did hear the DVD was to be a director's cut....not sure what happened.

As to the music in the TV spots, I'm sure it's not Moby's "God Moving Over the Face of the Waters," a great song I am familiar with. However, it did sound similar...

15. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I think my review, which was the first in the official review thread, says it all in regards to my feelings on this release...

16. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

Excellent...I loved the film...I guess people dont like intelligent films anymore...shame...in 20 years it'll probably be a bit of a classic among sci-fi fans...

17. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

never got to see the film in theatre so just might get this then

[​IMG]

18. Matt<>Broon

Matt<>Broon Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure it even came out near me. [​IMG]

I'll probably get it though, or at least rent it if possible. I enjoyed the original but it didn't exactly leave me flabbergasted (I gave it [​IMG] [​IMG] out of 4 if you care to know) and I'd heard good things about this from both people I know who caught it..

19. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

20. Matt_P

Matt_P Second Unit

Thanks, Michael. I did see the Soundtracknet list previously, but was unsure which of these songs is the track I'm referring to. Some of it is unreleased. I just found this link with a detailed breakdown of the various Solaris trailer music:

http://www.promoguy.net/archives/001676.php

According to this site, the song in question is "Fragile," from the list in the previous post. Here is a link to a zip file containing the TV spot w/ "Fragile" :

http://www.georgeclooney.org/video/S...Commercial.zip

Great commercial, with great music. I hope it's on the disc.