What's new

Soderbergh's SOLARIS: On DVD July 29th (1 Viewer)

Kelly V

Stunt Coordinator
I am ashamed to say that I missed ths in the theater - and it was showing a block from work! But I will be buying the dics. When will I learn to ignore my instincts when it comes to SciFi? The ones I see in the theater are stinkers and the ones I don't are the goods. :b

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Allow me to be the first to say that cover is terrible!
I didn't know fox had succumbed to 'big-head syndrome.'
That cover, in no remote way, recalls the brilliant atmosphere of the film. Was there any red in the entire damn movie?

Oh, well. At least there's no quotes.

Regards,
Nathan

Jay W

Supporting Actor
You know I'm pretty nonchalant toward cover art, but being someone who enjoyed this film (and the original) - that is just a travesty. Taking it to a whole new level if that's possible. :frowning:

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
That was the original cover for the VHS version, and it used to be on Fox's press site. They have since removed it.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
Ok, that first cover may be crossing the line from homage to outright plagiarism of 2001...

Still, I did enjoy Solaris very much... still on the fence as to whether or not its worth a purchase though. I'm not sure how rewatchable I'll find it.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
The art that Jeremy Conrad just posted (Davis DVD has the same, by the way) is much better than the temporary art, in my opinion. However, I would have preferred the original poster art.

John CW

Supporting Actor
Yes! Wow! Other people liked this film too! This movie is just perfectly tempo'd and very powerful -- cool!

Now the coverart: What's all this about?? They trying to market it differently now the film has bombed? Yeeees. It should have a very minimalistic, very blue, cover. Like space with a big blob on the middle (representing Solaris) and the words "Solaris" in a cool font...

Guess some of the fans can post a decent one at DVDCoverArt.com ! ;)

~ John

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
2 things:
1)crap cover (the mugshot one)
the one showing clooney with darkblue background is a bit better, though

2) great film, a masterpiece and I have to agree that it is better then the russian original (which I saw long before the remake, just to counter that argument that once you see the remake and watch the original later you'll like the remake more)

does anyone know why it bombed in the BO?

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
I don't hate the "big head" cover art in this case, mainly because it is so reminiscent of 2001. Still, not having seen the film, it could be really inappropriate, I don't know.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm one of the heathens that thought Solaris was over-rated and generally a pretty poor movie. However, the commentary track piqued my interest. Sometimes I enjoy a movie more after understanding what the creator(s) were trying to achieve.

That's the case in other art forms too: I find that understanding an artist's intentions can help me better appreciate his final work.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
IMO, it was too abstract and required too much interpretation for the mainstream audiences to accept it. Poor marketing and lack of awareness made the situation worse.

I can't wait for the DVD though. :)

-Dave

Don Marsh

Grip
Now the coverart: What's all this about?? They trying to market it differently now the film has bombed? Yeeees. It should have a very minimalistic, very blue, cover. Like space with a big blob on the middle (representing Solaris) and the words "Solaris" in a cool font...
If you go to IGN, you can see the cover art that Jeremy posted, as well as some screenshots of the menus. The menus look very nice, and have the look that you just described. Too bad no one will see the menus when they are perusing the DVD isle at their local store.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone think Natascha McElhone's cheekbones protruded out too much? They looked unnaturally scary to me at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks