What's new

What films do you think are underrated? (1 Viewer)

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I am going to throw Speed Racer out there as terribly underrated. As one who grew up watching the anime, I thought the movie captured the spirit of the show quite well and the overall inherent wackiness (though they toned down the violence a tad). This may have been the problem though as it seemed those not familiar with the cartoon just didn't get it.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
The Twonky (1951)

Cool World (1992)

Howard the Duck (1986)

Speed Racer (2008)

McQ (1974)

Armageddon (1998)

Journey to the Center of the Earth (2008)

The Sheriff of Fractured Jaw (1958)

Foxfire (1996)

Witness to Murder (1954)

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Gary Seven said:
I am going to throw Speed Racer out there as terribly underrated. As one who grew up watching the anime, I thought the movie captured the spirit of the show quite well and the overall inherent wackiness (though they toned down the violence a tad). This may have been the problem though as it seemed those not familiar with the cartoon just didn't get it.
I'm sure you're right in general, but in my case I was NOT familiar with the cartoon at all, and LOVED this movie. I haven't seen it since the theater, but being reminded of it makes me want to see it again ASAP. I remember it being weird, wacky and VERY fun.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Gary Seven said:

I was very familiar with the series (and remain a huge fan, having bought all the DVD editions), and I didn't get the movie. The stylized backgrounds in the movie made it seem like it took place in an alternate animated universe with live-action characters, like WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT and COOL WORLD, but the narrative didn't support that concept, whereas the original series took place in what was then considered a realistic real-world setting.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Vic Pardo said:
I was very familiar with the series (and remain a huge fan, having bought all the DVD editions), and I didn't get the movie. The stylized backgrounds in the movie made it seem like it took place in an alternate animated universe with live-action characters, like WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT and COOL WORLD, but the narrative didn't support that concept, whereas the original series took place in what was then considered a realistic real-world setting.

To me, the "real world" portrayed in the cartoon was equally surreal in its presentation and that was what the movie was going for. Speed Racer was a very wacky show, particularly in its characterizations (Tim Curry was spot on as a villain). The races in the cartoon were totally over the top as were the races in the movie. Technology and budget allow the brothers to take the movie to another level but the overall tone was captured I thought. This movie would not have worked at all as a straight up action movie because the show was not that way either.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Gary Seven said:
To me, the "real world" portrayed in the cartoon was equally surreal in its presentation and that was what the movie was going for. Speed Racer was a very wacky show, particularly in its characterizations (Tim Curry was spot on as a villain). The races in the cartoon were totally over the top as were the races in the movie. Technology and budget allow the brothers to take the movie to another level but the overall tone was captured I thought. This movie would not have worked at all as a straight up action movie because the show was not that way either.

I'm quite certain that the animators working on the original were not going for "surreal." It may seem that way to some American viewers, but that wasn't the intent.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
'The Future' (2011)
I saw this when it was released(R.I.P Harbor Theater) and as of today I still think it is one of the best films I have seen in the past few years. It is strange, but also profound. Using a quote from the film "It's a drag, but it's also amazing".
Infidelity is a tool to move the story, but I think the heart of the film is time.
The foreboding sense of time going by too quickly, and what matters in life.
I would never recommend it to a friend because it is a bit "out there" and I hate to waste their time. I just know It clicked with me, and I really enjoyed it.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'm choosing films most missed and shouldn't... I don't view all of these as classics but should be seen

The Hudsucker Proxy
Until The End Of The World (Wim Wenders)
Love & Basketball
Backdraft
Mulan
Bend it Like Beckham
Goon
Grosse Point Blank
V for Vendetta is maybe my all time favorite comic movie followed by
Blade 2

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks