Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Title: Paddington 2 (2017)

Tagline: It takes a bear to catch a thief

Genre: Adventure, Comedy, Family, Animation

Director: Paul King

Cast: Ben Whishaw, Hugh Bonneville, Sally Hawkins, Samuel Joslin, Madeleine Harris, Julie Walters, Brendan Gleeson, Hugh Grant, Peter Capaldi, Jim Broadbent, Imelda Staunton, Michael Gambon, Simon Farnaby, Ben Miller, Sanjeev Bhaskar, Joanna Lumley, Richard Ayoade, Nicholas Woodeson, Tom Conti, Eileen Atkins, Marie-France Alvarez, Jessica Hynes, Noah Taylor, Shola Adewusi, Nadine Marshall, Michael Mears, Louis Partridge, Robbie Gee, Enzo Squillino Jr., Sam Payne, Catherine Shepherd, Claire Keelan, Meera Syal, Geoffrey Lumb, Alex Jordan, Kobna Holdbrook-Smith, Virgile Elana, Emeson Nwolie, Nicholas Lumley, Stephen McDade, Deepak Anand, Cal McCrystal, Aaron Neil, Geoffrey Banks, Tom Davis, Jamie Demetriou, Stewart Gilchrist, Justin Edwards, Kya Garwood, Maggie Steed, Tim Fitzhigham, Joel Fry, David J Biscoe, Dan Antopolski, Gus Brown, David Sant, Jennie Legat, John Shearer

Release: 2017-11-09

Runtime: 103

Plot: Paddington, now happily settled with the Brown family and a popular member of the local community, picks up a series of odd jobs to buy the perfect present for his Aunt Lucy's 100th birthday, only for the gift to be stolen.

I'm surprised there isn't a thread for this movie already.

The first Paddington is a movie that I think was terribly mismarketed. It looked horrible. Every year around this time there are a few kids movies that come out now and clearly aren't good enough to be released in bigger seasons and you're like, "How did that even get made?" because they're just such clunkers and demonstrate no effort whatsoever, with dumb plots, weak characterizations and a general feeling of "We don't have to try because this movie is just going to be a babysitter anyway." The marketing for Paddington made it look like one of those, and was super-annoying, so I didn't go see it in theaters because of that. But afterwards, I started hearing from people that it was actually pretty good, and then once it turned up on Netflix, I thought, "Okay, I'll give this a shot since I have nothing else to do and I'm not paying for it." It was then that I discovered a total, complete gem that is an utter joy to watch. The marketing completely failed to communicate the film's unique charms.

So, obviously, I wasn't going to make the same mistake twice and rushed out for Paddington 2 on opening weekend. I'm so glad it escaped the current mess with TWC and that it got released by WB rather than languishing in limbo like some other films TWC has the rights to, because it's even better than the first one and deserves to be seen. This is an instant family classic in the vein of Willy Wonka or The Wizard of Oz or Hugo, or Willy Wonka, where it's just completely wonderful and basically absolutely nothing in it doesn't work. The first one was already great, but they've improved upon it here. It just checks every box, with satisfying moments and payoffs for every single character, and they're free to go deeper since it is a sequel and the cast has already been established. Plus, Hugh Grant as the new villain hams it up in what is, I think, the role of his career.

You don't need to see the first one to fully understand and love this one -- I went to it again this past weekend with my mom and a friend, both of whom are seniors and wouldn't normally go to "children's films," and neither of whom had seen the first one, and they both thought it was great. You don't even need to bring a kid; there's lots of humor for adults in it too (although nothing that would be kid-inappropriate.) Fortunately, the second time through didn't dim my appreciation for it at all, and even helped me to notice and appreciate some jokes I missed the first time through due to laughing so much at others. Even though it isn't, this feels like a Pixar film, in the best sense of their brand. It is, obviously, a film that is appropriate for young children to watch, but it doesn't treat kids like they are stupid or dumb something down for them like they are any less deserving of quality cinema than the rest of us, and as proven by many of the trailers that are currently screening ahead of it, that's not always the case.

Even though it's only February, it's going to take something really incredible to dislodge this film from my best-of-2108 list.

It is now Rotten Tomatoes' best-reviewed film ever based on critics score, and it's easy to see why. It's just fantastic, warm, and positive. I had a giant smile on my face the entire time I was watching it, and the ending made me cry happy tears. I can't reccomend this film more highly. It has been more satisfying than many of the Oscar contenders playing right now, and is certainly the most pure fun.

Its $36m domestic gross to date depresses me because it should, by rights, be doing much better. But it's huge in the UK, so we should get a third on anyway, hopefully.

Anyway, y'all should see it. It's awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Nominated for a BAFTA Best British Picture Award!

Yes, which I think it deserves to win. Thanks for pointing that out. Have you seen it, or were you just mentioning that fact?

What's interesting is that it qualifies as a 2017 release in the rest of the world, but since WB didn't release it until January, it would be eligible for awards here next year. Of course, it isn't really the type of film US organizations would typically recognize, but that doesn't lessen its quality relative to them.

Without politicizing this thread, I think it's fair to say that the times we are currently living in can be described as divisive, and in this environment, it's nice to have something warm, happy and purely positive that. Paddington says, "If we're kind and polite, the world will be right," and that's a really positive message to be putting out into the world right now. Going to see this movie is like getting a big warm hug, and it's coming at a really opportune time.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
When you go, stay through the credits -- there is a bit of an epilogue with newspaper headlines explaining what happens to the characters after the end of the film, AND a bonus scene with a musical production number. Both times I saw it, members of the audience left right away and missed out.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'd think the odds are good for another film, as it's near $200 million worldwide (nearly $60m in UK) vs. a reported $40 million budget.

I enjoyed the first. Haven't seen the second yet.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'd think the odds are good for another film, as it's near $200 million worldwide (nearly $60m in UK) vs. a reported $40 million budget.

Yeah, they said they waned to do a third one before this one even opened, and its performance on a worldwide basis has left no reason for them to abandon those plans. Given the good response to the first one,I'm a bit surprised that it is falling short in America, but the rest of the world should more than make up the difference. I can't wait to see more and just hope they can keep the quality up, since the second one was even better than the first.

I wonder if WB now gets right of first refusal on any subsequent films for the U.S. market?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'd think the odds are good for another film

Well, this is a wrinkle:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...-director-paul-king-talks-willy-wonka-1080166

Mr. King's work on both Paddington films proves that he would be a credit to the Willy Wonka project, but I'd much rather see him do Paddington 3. He did such a magnificent job on these two films that I would be very nervous if it were to be handed off to another director. And if he does Willy Wonka first, then we could be waiting a long time for Paddington 3.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Jake, caught up with both Paddington films. They're both quite charming. Who would have thought that a number from Sondheim's Follies would have played such an important part in part 2?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Glad to hear you enjoyed them, Jose.

JWho would have thought that a number from Sondheim's Follies would have played such an important part in part 2?

I know! As a huge Sondheim fan, I laughed so hard at that. It was so fantastic. Along with the Merrily We Roll Along stuff in Lady Bird, Sondheim has certainly had a good showing at the movies of late, and both are in such quality films too.

What's funny is: how many people do you think will even recognize the song? Certainly, kids won't. If I were a kid seeing Paddington 2 right now, I would probably always associate that song as being from Paddington 2, even though that's obviously not its original source.

I'd also like to note that the CD soundtrack for the film has "Love Thy Neighbor" (used as background music in the prison) and "Jumping the Lin" (from the beginning of the end credits when the book is being shown), but for some reason, "Listen to the Rain on the Roof" is not included, which is a shame. I'd buy it if Rain were included, but am not as interested without it.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
As an aside, I don't know whether I've mentioned it to you, but I did see the original Broadway productions of Follies and of the short-lived Merrily We Roll Along. I even met one of the cast members of Merrily a year and a half ago.
Both shows remain indelible experiences, and I cried like a baby during both.
I also saw the original productions of A Little Night Music, Pacific Overtures, Sweeney Todd, Sunday in the Park with George, Into the Woods.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I adored this film. We saw it with our family friends last month, even dragged their 20 year old daughter who initially didn't want to go, but was laughing harder than everyone else in our group.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Paddington 2 was announced today by Warner Bros. for Blu-ray release on April 24.

According to Box Office Mojo, its domestic total to date is $39.5 million Sadly, I don't think it will be going much higher.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Blu-ray is out tomorrow, and WB actually closed out the theatrical run on March 15.

Total domestic gross was $40.4 million, which is (currently) #19 for the year to date.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=paddington2.htm

The movie is likely in the black due to its worldwide gross of $224 million, but I don't think WB (which only had domestic rights) made money on it, which is sad because they came to its rescue after the fiasco with TWC. They have right of first refusal on future sequels, when those come to pass, but I haven't heard anything about them lately, and Paul King looks to be doing other things next.

We'll see. Here's hoping. In any case, those of you who didn't make it out to the theater for this one should give it a look on Blu-ray. I think you'll be very happy you did.

Edit: It's after midnight now, so the Blu-ray is out today.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Watched the Blu-ray and thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice to see a "family film" that's neither so sanitized that it becomes dishwater dull or so "sassy" that it throws out little more than cheap fart jokes.

"P2" manages to be gentle and innocuous but still clever and witty. It really does fare well as something for all ages!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Watched the Blu-ray and thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice to see a "family film" that's neither so sanitized that it becomes dishwater dull or so "sassy" that it throws out little more than cheap fart jokes.

"P2" manages to be gentle and innocuous but still clever and witty. It really does fare well as something for all ages!
And it throws Sondheim into the mix for good measure. One can never go wrong with Sondheim.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks