What's new

So What Happens With The Stuff CBS Retained? (1 Viewer)

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Mike Frezon said:
There have been WAY too many allusions in recent TV on DVD threads about the purchase of bootlegs.

We have been lenient for too long.

It has got to stop.

We have given an inch and a mile has been taken.

Mike,

I've been waiting since the dawn of DVDs (1997) for CBS/Paramount to release Ben Casey, so I feel I've been a patient bystander. I've watched as lesser quality shows have been released to DVD while my holy grail has languished on the shelf.

Do I want to go the bootleg route...absolutely not. Am I going to wait forever to see a official Ben Casey release...absolutely not.

I don't promote the purchasing of bootlegs as the negatives far outway the positives. However, I was 41 when DVDs were introduced, I'm now approaching 60 and when push comes to shove...

John

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Sky King said:
Mike,

I've been waiting since the dawn of DVDs (1997) for CBS/Paramount to release Ben Casey, so I feel I've been a patient bystander. I've watched as lesser quality shows have been released to DVD while my holy grail has languished on the shelf.

Do I want to go the bootleg route...absolutely not. Am I going to wait forever to see a official Ben Casey release...absolutely not.

I don't promote the purchasing of bootlegs as the negatives far outway the positives. However, I was 41 when DVDs were introduced, I'm now approaching 60 and when push comes to shove...

John

I believe you are missing the point. What you do is your own business, but the rules clearly state not to talk about bootlegs on the forum in any way shape or form.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Sky King said:
Mike,

John

Which means that you were in your 20s and 30s during the 1980s and 90s. So you had numerous ample opportunities if you so desired to record the show off-air as it was quite well syndicated as well as running on a couple of national cable networks. Or, as thousands of collectors did when faced with wanting a show that was not airing in our market, establishing trade partners to record the shows for us. Just don't get how its so important to you now but was so important to you then when you would have had easy access to it.

Don't worry, as I'm sure all of the other "serious collectors" who were too lazy to hit the record button on their VCRs will be out in force to defend your inaction quite shortly.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Neil Brock said:
Don't worry, as I'm sure all of the other "serious collectors" who were too lazy to hit the record button on their VCRs will be out in force to defend your inaction quite shortly.

I'm not sure of the motivation behind such a mean spirited attitude towards other fans of tv.

Members here are in search of shows they want to view. There are lots of shows I never

even heard of during their first run. That's right, I didn't record everything that was on tv for

the last 4 decades, so there are shows i've discovered since they went off the air.

Is that some personal failing?

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
smithbrad said:
I believe you are missing the point. What you do is your own business, but the rules clearly state not to talk about bootlegs on the forum in any way shape or form.
I've been a member of this forum since 2006 and the only rule about bootlegs I remember, is to not discuss where they can be had. Never the less, I won't be mentioning that word around here anymore. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
No doubt about it - I had the opportunity to record a bunch of stuff - and I didn't. One of the reasons - with the rapidly expanding satellite offerings years ago I assumed, incorrectly, that there would always be 50's and 60's television offered. As things evolved I learned the hard way, if I wanted something, I'd better have that something I could hold in my hand.

What I did, or failed to do, years ago doesn't change my desire today to gain access to digitized film on dvd or bluray.

In most endeavors, including hobbies, newbies are welcomed, encouraged and mentored. They are seen as the next generation, a way of keeping something valuable alive.

There is an incredible amount of knowledge provided on HTF and Neil is one of the contributors who helps in that regard. Some of his other personal comments are better ignored.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Sky King said:
I've been a member of this forum since 2006 and the only rule about bootlegs I remember, is to not discuss where they can be had. Never the less, I won't be mentioning that word around here anymore. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers.

Those people would be out of business if that stuff were available legally. Their customers would just buy it from the legal sellers.

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Neil Brock said:
Which means that you were in your 20s and 30s during the 1980s and 90s. So you had numerous ample opportunities if you so desired to record the show off-air as it was quite well syndicated as well as running on a couple of national cable networks. Or, as thousands of collectors did when faced with wanting a show that was not airing in our market, establishing trade partners to record the shows for us. Just don't get how its so important to you now but was so important to you then when you would have had easy access to it.

Neil,

Kind of sarcastic aren't we ??

For the record, Ben Casey was available for me on only one cable channel in the mid 80's/early 90's and that was CBN. I believed it aired mid day 2 or 3 PM. During that time I was busy, frequently working double shifts...far from lazy my friend. I had no time to join the collector, trading partner circuit. I did however, manage to get several shows on tape thanks to the timer on my VCR.

You asked why its important to me now. The answer is quite simple...I want what others (whose shows have made it to DVD) have. The convenience of popping in a DVD to see this show, not watching a VCR copy (transferred to DVD) from 25+ years ago. I also want to see the full run of this series in its restored version, if possible.

I hope its clear to you now.

John

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
Like many of you I am a very active participant in the TV-on-DVD market – floor to ceiling bookshelves filled with sets from the 1950s to present day. Every single one of them is an authorized 'official' set, except for a couple of public domain Ozzie & Harriet releases.

I didn't tape shows off-air before this because, as others have already observed, they were easily accessible in syndication on various cable networks. Watching them that way actually enhanced my appreciation for them, because it seemed more special when a favorite episode of 'Bewitched' or 'The Brady Bunch' rolled around again. Yes, I'm happy to own them all now, and having access to the Silver Platters performance of "Sunshine Day" anytime I feel like watching it is fun. But it has also removed some of the excitement that accompanied another chance to view that episode, when such opportunities only popped up a couple of times a year.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Neil Brock said:

Been on this forum 5 years and I will never understand how a person who is obviously super intelligent and has such a dearth of knowledge about the hobby can possibly think that the elitist, judgemental atittude that has eminated from some fo your posts over the years can be at all helpful or beneficial.. to anyone.

Just my opinion.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Nine years have gone by since I began being a "Serious" Collector. I have several series and movies I recorded myself, as well as other shows acquired via official and unofficial means. Why did I become a collector? Simple - I got sick and tired of what commercial TV had become, either free OTA or pay-TV. :(

I decided to take things into my own hands, and I have no regrets for it. This year alone 0ver 1,000,000 households have decided to do something similar to what I did, and get their entertainment and informational needs via other means. I called what I did "cutting the cord" BEFORE those words became the phrase define the act of discontinuing a pay TV subscription, effectively making me a "Pioneer". The number of shows I've required during the last couple of years has decreased, because the question of "What shows have you acquired?" is now "What shows don't you have?" :laugh: My collection is so huge it may very well outlast me (I've willed my collection to be given to several family members and friends after I've departed this world. I,m happy to live the remainder of my life knowing "There's always something good to watch on TV tonight" be it a favorite show I haven't seen for years or a show that I hadn't seen before because It ran opposite a show I watched back then (I have copies of many shows that only had 13 episodes because they were scheduled opposite a show I and many others watched at the time!). Yes, there are about 20 "Grail" shows out there I'd like to have in my collection. Some will certai8nly become released, others not, but that's part of the fun of this hobby, you NEVER know what will happen yet. :biggrin:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks