What's new

Major 60s Shows Left (1 Viewer)

AndrewCrossett

Second Unit
Despite it being quite popular during its run, I've never even seen a single episode of 77 Sunset Strip. I don't remember it being on in syndication at all in the 70s and 80s in my peak daytime-TV-watching years. I thought that was odd. Music issues, probably? As always?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Despite it being quite popular during its run, I've never even seen a single episode of 77 Sunset Strip. I don't remember it being on in syndication at all in the 70s and 80s in my peak daytime-TV-watching years. I thought that was odd. Music issues, probably? As always?
Same here. My prime daytime rerun TV watching was the 70's and early 80's. None of the Warner Detective shows or Westerns were ever rerun expect for a rare run of Maverick so I never saw any of them. So it must of been something to do with Warner.

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
The High Chaparral is currently on CBS Action channel here in the UK and is out in full on DVD in region 2 in Germany - is it not out in the USA ?

we currently have quite alot of classic TV Westerns on, besides THC 'Bonanza' (season 14 now) two episodes each day and 'Gunsmoke' (season 17 now) with two episodes each weekend day on CBS Action,

also 'Rawhide' (season four now) two episodes screened twice on TCM channel each day and 'The Big Valley' (season one) has just started on Talking Pictures channel daily

I'd love to see 'Lancer' back on TV and out in full on DVD starring James Stacy, Wayne Maunder and Andrew Duggan - with Elizabet Baur and later Rawhide's Paul Brinegar in season two

Haven't seen 'Lancer' here since BBC screened them way back in the early seventies !

Last edited:

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I'm with rest of these guys regarding 77. I watched a ton of reruns during the mid to late 70s and early 80s and despite the popularity of the Warner detective shows, I never saw one rerun . It wasn't until about 90 that I got a bunch from a guy on videotape who got them from a buddy who recorded them running it in the Seattle area. Does anyone know why these shows weren't rerun much?

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
My own guess is that hour long dramas in general weren't rerrun much. Despite being very long running shows, I remember having a hard time finding reruns of Mission, FBI, Mannix, etc during the early 80s. PIX from NYC ran a lot of that stuff but most indies didn't for some reason. It seems that unless it was a sci fo or cult show like Star Trek, Lost In Space, or Wild Wild West.... quite a bit fewer hour long 60s and 70s shows were rerun in syndication. I never saw the Fugitive tilll A&E picked it up. I watched shows like Barretta, Polkce Woman, Switch , etc first run and I cant recall ever seeing syndicated reruns of those and other similar shows.

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
No idea why 77 Sunset Strip has not been rerun in the USA

it was also very popular here in the UK in the early sixties but also then vanished from our screens too !

I have seen two episodes from differing seasons shown as part of 'TV Heaven' special evenings here since in the early 80's but nothing else since - being in b/w would go against it here sadly as the TV companies are color mad here

even Efrem Zimbalist jnr's later show 'The F.B.I.' in color has not been screened here in many years either sadly

I'd LOVE to see 77 Sunset Strip and the various spin off Detective shows out on DVD at last..!

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I'm with rest of these guys regarding 77. I watched a ton of reruns during the mid to late 70s and early 80s and despite the popularity of the Warner detective shows, I never saw one rerun . It wasn't until about 90 that I got a bunch from a guy on videotape who got them from a buddy who recorded them running it in the Seattle area. Does anyone know why these shows weren't rerun much?
I can remember a local DJ by the name of Cousin Carl making a joke about the Warner detective shows in the late 70's/early 80's. He said a local station was so poor that they resorted to doing a mashup of the shows and gave some crazy title. I was a kid and never had watched them. My mother explained what the shows were; that is still the only knowledge of them besides what I've learned here.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
The topic read "major" shows and those are it for that decade from my standpoint. Heck, most 60s shows with one season have more episodes than shows from later decades with more than one season!

Here is the topic header: Ok, with Novak coming out and Flipper getting compete, let's take a look at what major shows (2 seasons or more) are still left incomplete and which ones if any you guys think might still have a shot:

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I'll be redundant and say I still believe CBS has an interest in The Beverly Hillbillies. The fact that Shout! took on a "sister" show says there is still hope for Henning and rural shows. CBS keeps an active Facebook page for the show, usually posting trivia or some factoid once or twice a week. Maybe Shout! will take an interest? I had contacted them a few years ago when it seemed to be abandoned (before S1 and S4 were released), and I asked them if they would "step up to the plate" and finish the show off. I was given a reply of "we're lacing up our cleats right now" or something of that nature. I'd just as soon they do it and release it all in one fell swoop instead of waiting another 8-10 years (the releases seem to be every 2 years or so on average).

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
For many "Green Hornet" is more major than many a "two season" show of the decade and if that and a few other shows of the decade aren't out, then the criteria for what is major as I would define the term hasn't been met. I'm standing by that judgment completely and others may disagree if they like, but that's just my own take.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
For many "Green Hornet" is more major than many a "two season" show of the decade and if that and a few other shows of the decade aren't out, then the criteria for what is major as I would define the term hasn't been met. I'm standing by that judgment completely and others may disagree if they like, but that's just my own take.

I would agree that the Hornet is considered a major series despite its one season run. It's well regarded and popular among genre buffs, and judging from the airings on Encore a decade ago, a BD release should look quite good.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Just to add to that, if "The Prisoner" had never been released would that mean it wasn't a "major" show of the 60s?

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
We only know for sure that HD masters are available for the seasons already released. Unless you have evidence otherwise, we have no idea if HD masters have been created for the unreleased seasons or season 2 of Bonanza that was released from an older SD masters. We also don't know if CBS would even be willing to license them out, at this time.

Actually I do know. I managed to visit CBS' syndication website where it shows what shows are available for syndication, what packages and at what quality.

Cheers, Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Dynasty and many others had full packages in HD.

Can't provide you with a link, cause the website has since been retired and a new one was made available. AFAIK, the new one requires a login.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The CBS Syndication Bible is publicly available to this day. As of March 30th of this year when the last update was made, the shows you mention have the following HD material available.

Bonanza has HD transfers available for seasons 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 only (So 7 out of 14 seasons). Gunsmoke has HD transfers for seasons 1-6 (And four additional episodes) only, with 14 seasons left to go. Cheers is available in its entirety in HD. And Dynasty is listed as seasons 2-9 available in HD, with season 1 in progress and due for completion in June 2017 (Presumably now completed).

There's little remastered CBS content that hasn't yet been published on DVD, with Our Miss Brooks easily leading the pack with 4 seasons available in HD and no DVD releases. So for most any unreleased CBS show, a potential CBS licensee is going to either have to use old transfers (Like VEI did for Barnaby Jones) or pay up for new transfers to be struck (Like Shout Factory had to for season 1 of The Defenders).

Last edited:

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
The CBS Syndication Bible is publicly available to this day. As of March 30th of this year when the last update was made, the shows you mention have the following HD material available.

Bonanza has HD transfers available for seasons 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 only (So 7 out of 14 seasons). Gunsmoke has HD transfers for seasons 1-6 (And four additional episodes) only, with 14 seasons left to go. Cheers is available in its entirety in HD. And Dynasty is listed as seasons 2-9 available in HD, with season 1 in progress and due for completion in June 2017 (Presumably now completed).

There's little remastered CBS content that hasn't yet been published on DVD, with Our Miss Brooks easily leading the pack with 4 seasons available in HD and no DVD releases. So for most any unreleased CBS show, a potential CBS licensee is going to either have to use old transfers (Like VEI did for Barnaby Jones) or pay up for new transfers to be struck (Like Shout Factory had to for season 1 of The Defenders).

Agree with the only clarification I would make is that Gunsmoke has been mastered in HD through S12. The syndication bible entries break up that series into its 1/2 hour, 1 hour B&W, and 1 hour Color seasons almost treating them like separate properties. Our Miss Brooks only has syndicated versions in HD, not network versions.

Leo is spot on with his analysis in my opinion.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Nobody has 100% of the shows they want, but if you have 90%+ you're doing pretty good. My purchasing has diminished in these last few years (You can blame 90%+ for that, when you get this high on your list, there isn't much out there I don't already have! :laugh:) By the time the upcoming holiday season ends about the only thing left for me to purchase are a handful of "grail" shows and that's it. (at least three of them are coming out that are on my "Santa List" this year) but this is one of things that make this hobby fun, you never know when it is announced one of your shows is coming out. :D

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Since these two animated series are my "Holiest" of Grail Shows, I've put Hot Wheels and Skyhawks on my "Bucket List". :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks