What's new

So What Unreleased /Stalled Shows Still Have A Chance? (2 Viewers)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Ok, see we've seen some surprises lately (ODAAT, Laugh-In , Green Acres) so I'm wondering which other unreleased or stalled shows have a legitimate chance of release....
Let's look at a few genres/decades, etc.
The 50's - I think for the most part we will see very little stuff from the 50s that hasn't already been released, come out. While many of us would love to see things like Our Miss Brooks, Margie, Ann Sothern etc come out demographics and possible sales potential are not high for this stuff anymore so I'm thinking distributors probably will steer clear of this stuff. I think the only things from this era that may see the light of day would be a few more Warner items (Colt 45?) , Trackdown, and I do feel that eventually Gunsmoke will be complete. If not by CBS, maybe a licensee. And of course there is always the chance Sam Nelson comes through with the Ozzie and Harriet stuff but I see very little happening more with this era.
60's- ditto Bonanza as I stated with Gunsmoke and I gotta feel Hillbilies will be completed at some point. It's too iconic not to be. Not so certain on Petticoat Junction. The WA detective shows are always a possibility but who knows, and we can hope for Shout to continue Defenders... and let's not forget about the rumored Peyton Place set... other wise I don't think we will see much. us fans of one season 60s sitcoms and dramas have probably seen our best days so I wouldn't expect Many Happy Returns, THE Cat, He and She, etc. Also most of the Fox stuff (12 O Clock High, Julia, Rest of Burkes Law, Felony Squad, etc) probably never will come out. I think the Green Hornet is the only Fox property that stands a chance due to its cult status. And of course my #1 grail show Run For Your Life is most likely never coming out..
70s- with the recent announcement of One Day... Chico and the Man stands alone as the only long running unreleased sitcom from that decade. I used to think it was a slam dunk to come out but I'm now thinking it never will. Other wise the 70s have seen most big shows released.
The Universal fire stuff (Baretta, Switch, BJ/Lobo) being the only big vacuum. We can hope Columbia continues with Love Boat and somebody picks up the rest of Fantasy Island but I wouldnt count on it.... and whether CBS finishes Happy Days is anybody's guess but I think if anything more from the 70 were to come out it would be the above titles or Archie Bunkers Place.
I,don't think we'll see much else..... Maybe a Knots Landing superset if they get the music rights resolved
but don't hold your breath.
80s- Holding my hope out for some one season cult type shows yet (Enos, It's Your Move) but most of the big 80s stuff is already out there. This is still a decent demographic so maybe something like Trapper John, It's A Living, Silver Spoons, Fall Guy, Benson, or Too Close For Comfort still might be released or unstalled respectively and come out but I wouldn't bet money on any of those. Later 80s stuff ( Midnight Caller, Dear John, Different World, Head of the Class, etc would seem to have a decent market but nobody seems interested in giving this stuff a go..
Thoughts????

Last edited:

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Never say never, In the 11 years since I began my hobby of collecting DVDs not one year has gone by without a show we thought didn't have a snowball's chance in H-E(Double Hockey Sticks) of getting released or unstalled suddenly gets released. This is one of the most fun things about this hobby, you just don't know what will happen next! :D So be patient, you'll have your day in the sun. :cool:

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Warner needs to hurry up and release the last two seasons of Mayberry RFD. It's not as loved as it's parent show, but it still must have a fan base. Certainly a Warner Archive release at least. The first season is OOP and commands triple digits on the used market.
Warner Archive won't do the remaining two seasons until they rerelease the first season through the archive. But they had stated on FB about a year ago that there were some rights issues prevented season 2 and 3 from being released but they were trying to clear them. They didn't elaborate on what those issues were. So if we ever see a re-release of season 1 through the archive then that will be a good sign that season 2 and 3 are coming.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
CBS keeps the Facebook page for The Beverly Hillbillies active, usually posting several times a month with a trivia question or some fact from the series. I don't pass up a chance to tell them we're still waiting for the series to be finished, and I generally have people who will come along and comment that they are waiting for it as well.

Happy Days is an interesting aside; I made a comment in an old thread about this, but it would seem it got summarily buried. Hulu has it available for streaming, although no season seems to be complete. It appears to be in HD, and there are several later season episodes available, so I would guess CBS must be restoring the whole series to HD even if we aren't seeing it on a home media format. All of what I watched was unedited except for one episode; it was very music heavy with the cast singing a lot during the show. I'm guessing something couldn't be cleared for that particular episode.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I have to keep hoping against rational hope that "Burke's Law" will finally get finished somehow (shame on Timeless/Shout for not finishing it when they were doing Four Star titles).

In the meantime, DECADES weekend Binge on Sat./Sun. starts with Burke's Law. They're showing 28 episodes. 19 from the first season; only 9 from the unreleased second season. The last Burke's Law episode airing will be the one that introduces Honey West and then they're showing 28 episodes (out of 30 total) of that series.

I would also like to see the pilot episode done originally with Dick Powell as Amos Burke.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Warner needs to hurry up and release the last two seasons of Mayberry RFD. It's not as loved as it's parent show, but it still must have a fan base. Certainly a Warner Archive release at least. The first season is OOP and commands triple digits on the used market.
Warner Archive won't do the remaining two seasons until they rerelease the first season through the archive. But they had stated on FB about a year ago that there were some rights issues prevented season 2 and 3 from being released but they were trying to clear them. They didn't elaborate on what those issues were. So if we ever see a re-release of season 1 through the archive then that will be a good sign that season 2 and 3 are coming.
Considering the amount of music that presumably had to cleared for MAYBERRY, R.F.D.s parent series, THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, it seems a bit curious that MRFD has such issues preventing release, but then again, CBS/Paramount did release the latter! How did Warner come to get MRFD, anyway? Sub-licensing by CBS/Paramount? Why wouldn't such sub-licensing INCLUDE music clearance? So many questions!

If nothing else, it would be nice to be able to access the MAYBERRY, R.F.D. premiere episode, "Andy & Helen Get Married", which is the main episode that I'm interested in viewing, but NOT for triple digit figures!

CHEERS! :)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I have to agree with your assessment of the 70s. Most of the really big shows have been released with Chico and the Man still MIA. I haven't counted that one out as of yet. Shout just announced season 3 of Police Woman so hopefully the final season won't be far behind. Should could also continue The Rookies and Police Story. Both could get finished by Shout if they were to fast track them. If, and this is a really bit 'if' usable masters are located elsewhere for any of the Universal stuff lost in the fire, then Baretta probably has the best chance. I believe that the entire series was released oversees somewhere but I can't recall where. If usable masters for BJ/Lobo are eventually located, then those also stand a good chance of coming out. Again, anything Universal lost in the fire may never come out but you just never can tell where a previously undiscovered cache of tapes may turn up.

After the announcement of One Day At a Time, I checked my list of shows and I only have 12 stalled/unfinished series from the 70s waiting to be completed.

Room 222 (dead and buried. Never gonna get finished.)
The Rookies (hoping, hoping)
Police Woman (one season left to get released. Fingers crossed.)
Police Story (possibly will get finished.)
Baretta (a very, very, very long shot at best)
The Muppet Show (don't know why this one didn't get finished.)
Love, American Style (doubtful, but you never know.)
Family (long since given up hope on this one)
Wait 'Til Your Father Gets Home (unless Warner Archive finishes it, probably not gonna happen)
Marcus Welby, M.D. (Shout didn't do so well on this one so doubtful it will get finished)
Alice (will probably get completed)
Fantasy Island (although honestly, I'm not all that interested in this one getting finished. I have the best years. From season 4 on, the show just got more and more unbelievable for me.)

Out of those 12, I say 5 of those stand the best chance of getting completed. Not good odds but it's something.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
It's a shame that the company that just released "IT'S ABOUT TIME", doesn't have plans to release other overlooked "cult" shows . I read on this site that their planned release of the 1950's Crime drama "LOCK UP " has been cancelled . Timeless is finishing up DANIEL BOONE , so maybe we'll see some new releases from them.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
. I read on this site that their planned release of the 1950's Crime drama "LOCK UP " has been cancelled . .

I was going to purchase this one. Maybe someday it will get released, in the meantime the episodes I already have will tide me over.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I'm still pulling for Empty Nest to be released as a complete series set next year...great show!

That Rod Parker/Hal Cooper first season is just outstanding. I think it gets unfairly ignored, partly because the quality dropped over the seven years. The second season has some excellent shows, too. On the Interpretation of Dreams is a wonderful half hour. Unfortunately, the show is owned by Disney, hurting its chance of release.

I think they get overlooked because they don't own as many shows as other major studios, but Disney has a good claim on being the very worst studio for releasing or licensing its television library titles. They got The Golden Girls out because how could you face the stockholders otherwise? But nearly everything else languishes in the vault. Empty Nest was shot on videotape and has been shown on cable in recent years, so there's no issue with accessible elements. The studio just doesn't care.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I was going to purchase this one. Maybe someday it will get released, in the meantime the episodes I already have will tide me over.
There are a lot of episodes from 16 MM "out there" in PD-land . Maybe we'll still get a Lock -Up release similar to the ones we've had on One Step Beyond, Mr. And Mrs. North , and Decoy .

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Still hoping to see the following get released:

The Defenders (seasons 2 through 4)
Alfred Hitchcock Presents (season 1 re-release on single-sided discs and season 7)
The Alfred Hitchcock Hour (all three seasons)
Amazing Stories (season 2 or complete series; Bryan Fuller's reboot for NBC might help move this along)
East Side/West Side (complete series)
Mr. Novak (complete series)
The Nurses aka The Doctors and the Nurses (complete series)
Bus Stop (complete series)
Cliffhangers! (complete series)
The Adventures of the Scarlet Pimpernel (complete series)

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Less Than Perfect. A recent comedy owned by Disney with only the first season released on DVD. I'm a big fan of this show and Sara Rue. Would love to see this continued by Lionsgate.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I have to agree with your assessment of the 70s. Most of the really big shows have been released with Chico and the Man still MIA. I haven't counted that one out as of yet. Shout just announced season 3 of Police Woman so hopefully the final season won't be far behind. Should could also continue The Rookies and Police Story. Both could get finished by Shout if they were to fast track them. If, and this is a really bit 'if' usable masters are located elsewhere for any of the Universal stuff lost in the fire, then Baretta probably has the best chance. I believe that the entire series was released oversees somewhere but I can't recall where. If usable masters for BJ/Lobo are eventually located, then those also stand a good chance of coming out. Again, anything Universal lost in the fire may never come out but you just never can tell where a previously undiscovered cache of tapes may turn up.

After the announcement of One Day At a Time, I checked my list of shows and I only have 12 stalled/unfinished series from the 70s waiting to be completed.

Room 222 (dead and buried. Never gonna get finished.)
The Rookies (hoping, hoping)
Police Woman (one season left to get released. Fingers crossed.)
Police Story (possibly will get finished.)
Baretta (a very, very, very long shot at best)
The Muppet Show (don't know why this one didn't get finished.)
Love, American Style (doubtful, but you never know.)
Family (long since given up hope on this one)
Wait 'Til Your Father Gets Home (unless Warner Archive finishes it, probably not gonna happen)
Marcus Welby, M.D. (Shout didn't do so well on this one so doubtful it will get finished)
Alice (will probably get completed)
Fantasy Island (although honestly, I'm not all that interested in this one getting finished. I have the best years. From season 4 on, the show just got more and more unbelievable for me.)

Out of those 12, I say 5 of those stand the best chance of getting completed. Not good odds but it's something.
I have a "unofficial" set of B.J. and the Bear and I can tell you there's music that will have to be cleared. I don't remember exactly how much, but I remember several episodes with music in them. I don't remember too much music in The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo, but I haven't actually watched that many episodes in recent memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks