What's new

What are the best '50s (and '40s) comedy shows? (i.e. Which ones still make you laugh today?) (1 Viewer)

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I would love to hear everyone's thoughts about what the laugh out loud funniest comedy shows of the '50s (and '40s if any) are. When I was a kid there were a lot of older sitcoms airing in syndication on independent stations, so I watched quite a few. However, for the most part, the programming focused on mid-'60s and newer shows, so I saw very little from the 50s. Leave it to Beaver was the only 50s comedy I really watched, until I later caught The Honeymooners on video.

From the very little I have seen (checked out an episode or two of a few others on Hulu), The Honeymooners remains my favorite. It is still hilarious. But surely there must be some other winners that I should pick up for my collection.

What are other must have pre-1960 comedy shows?

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I personally like The Abbott & Costello Show, Father Knows Best ( which I never really watched much until recently), The Donna Reed Show(which continued of course until 1966), Ozzie & Harriet (also ran until 1966), Leave It To Beaver as you mentioned. Burns & Allen are also quite funny. I am sure there are many others too.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I personally like The Abbott & Costello Show, Father Knows Best ( which I never really watched much until recently), The Donna Reed Show(which continued of course until 1966), Ozzie & Harriet (also ran until 1966), Leave It To Beaver as you mentioned. Burns & Allen are also quite funny. I am sure there are many others too.
Thanks for the input! Never seen much of those you mentioned, so I will have to loon into them further. I recall The Donna Reed Show used to air on Nick at Night, and my father would complain about how saccharine he thought it was.

To throw some other show names out there for consideration, IMDB users rated these '50s comedies highest:
1) The Amos N Andy show
2) Your Show of Shows
3) The Honeymooners
4) The Jack Benny Program
5) The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show
6) The Jackie Gleason Show
7) I Love Lucy
8) The Phil Silvers Show
9) Topper
10) The Abbott and Costello Show

Are those comedy variety shows like Jack Benny even available on DVD?

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Last edited:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Besides many of the shows mentioned above: Sgt.Bilko, Car 55 Where Are You, Dick Van Dyke Show, My Little Margie, Topper, People’s Choice, Life Of Riley, Make Room For Daddy, Early Johnny Carson skits, Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis,
December Bride, Mr Ed, My Favorite Martian, Beverley Hillbillies, , others!!!

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen

Waldo Lydecker

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David N. Heathman
E2D5E5D2-4ADF-4F17-9645-ED3D639500F6.jpeg

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Is there a complete collection for Jack Benny? I see a lot of DVD releases on Amazon - not sure how they all fit together.
Unfortunately and amazingly, no.

But here’s my very own Jack Benny Blitz! I figured I’d get some extra mileage out of my months upon months of hard labor. :)

Part One Part Two Part Three Part Four Part Five

Some links …

Jack Benny Program Stalled?

Time Life's new JACK BENNY releases.

Best PD collections of DRAGNET ('50s), ONE STEP BEYOND and JACK BENNY?

Problem with the new "Jack Benny Program" DVD set...

Do long runs hurt shows DVD chances?

CBS permanently seals Jack Benny television masters

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Thanks a lot! I'll have to work my way through these links. I like his radio show, but never seen the TV version.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
How about Mr. Peepers. A very quiet style of comedy but funny if you are in the right mood.

My moods come and go but I always enjoy Burns & Allen, Kovacs and Jack Benny.

Topper was the show that introduced my kids to vintage TV. The local uhf station ran a series of 5 shows for a few weeks and Topper was one of them. Both of my kids were enthralled. My son went on to enjoy a lot of vintage material - my daughter OTOH won't watch anything not in color.

Yes Neal - I finally posted. And about that Jack Benny marathon - Well Done!

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Thanks a lot! I'll have to work my way through these links. I like his radio show, but never seen the TV version.
You are very welcome!! It's hard for me to imagine anyone never having watched The Jack Benny TV Program. But life is about to get a whole lot better!!!
How about Mr. Peepers. A very quiet style of comedy but funny if you are in the right mood.

My moods come and go but I always enjoy Burns & Allen, Kovacs and Jack Benny.

Topper was the show that introduced my kids to vintage TV. The local uhf station ran a series of 5 shows for a few weeks and Topper was one of them. Both of my kids were enthralled. My son went on to enjoy a lot of vintage material - my daughter OTOH won't watch anything not in color.

Yes Neal - I finally posted. And about that Jack Benny marathon - Well Done!
Welcome back Marv and thanks! It took good old cheap Jack Benny to finally get you back on board here.
icon_e_applause.gif

Of course Mr. Peepers!

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
You are very welcome!! It's hard for me to imagine anyone never having watched The Jack Benny TV Program. But life is about to get a whole lot better!!!

Welcome back Marv and thanks! It took good old cheap Jack Benny to finally get you back on board here. View attachment 132444

Of course Mr. Peepers!
Well Jack and I are the same age...39

For my money Burns and Allen tops them all and hold up well. Best comedy team ever. A lot of the shows are still available on DVD, too.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Haven't seen The Three Stooges or The Little Rascals mentioned. Mchales Navy was another good one.
Well the Three Stooges and the Little Rascals are a strange case. They were actually movie shorts made for theaters but were later syndicated and were very popular on TV. I know I used to watch them (especially the Rascals). Good catch Bill and welcome to the forum.
I have noticed that this thread had pulled a few new people in. Always great to see new posters and get new ideas and thoughts.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
The 3 funniest to me are Honeymooners, Amos & Andy and I Love Lucy. Phil Silvers Show is also great. Our Miss Brooks, December Bride, People's Choice, Love That Bob, Topper, Bachelor Father were all pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks