What's new

So sorry, but what is it? Glue? (1 Viewer)

JasonKZ

Stunt Coordinator
Guys, I suppose I will be laying my ignorance bare here, but I have been looking at some speakers lately, and I notice a few of them have this black "glue" type substance in the middle of the woofer.
Is it supposed to be there? Is this good or bad?
I couldn't really find any pictures on-line except for on this one Sony Speaker (a little bookshelf).
http://www.video-direct.com/sony/speakers/ssmb100h.html

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
This is normal for many drivers. The glue is sealing the holes where wires come through the speaker cone surface and is also keeping the wires from rubbing against the cone.

Nothing to worry about!

Pete

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
For the most part, the exposed wire glue thingy is a sign of a cheap woofer. But I could be wrong!

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
On the whole this is correct, more expensive manufactures of drivers, mid,ect will be less prone to finding the bump out glue patch on the facing cone.

But even in some very high end manufacturs of speaker drivers this can be seen. So don't right off a speaker product, brand or model, because you see this. Let you ears be the judge.

More often you see this in paper and paper composite made smaller sized drivers, around 5" on down, and much less than in the polys and metal composite drivers. Seldom now in the newest of larger drivers. In the older days this was common even in the large paper woofers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks