What's new

Final Questions (1 Viewer)

Jack Keck

Second Unit
I’m a bit stunned here. I bought a Quatro 15” driver and PE 500 watt amp with the plan to build this in the spring. I’m sure you guys knew what would happen better than I did. Anyway, I’m nearly done. Sorry, I have no access to a digital camera to post pictures. I have the cabinet assembled and have put a coat of primer on it. I had a couple of questions left.

1. Is there a real good reason to paint the bottom of a sub? It will be on a carpeted floor in the basement.
2. The driver came with what looks like some type of gasket material. If it for sealing the driver to the baffle, do I remove the paper that it is rolled up in?

It’s been fun so far. Even though the lumberyard cut one of the sides about a half inch short, I did not have too much of a problem trimming the other sides despite my inability to cut anything in a straight line, no matter what I do. I just put the end I cut on the bottom. The guy at the lumberyard suggested gorilla glue, which was fun to use. I used some stuff called NU-Foam poly-fil. It came in two pieces that were 17” X 15” x 2”. I split the pieces and cut them from there and glued it to the sides. I managed to not get the sides of the box exactly lined up, but caulk covers a multitude of sins. No gaps were more than 1/16 of an inch. The Precision Port was a pain to assemble, but it finally went together. If you use Gorilla glue to assemble it, do one end at a time and DON’T SET IT WITH THAT PORT FACING DOWN. Fortunately, I had already decided to port the port in the back.

I want to thank everybody for their help so far.

Jordan_Brulotte

Stunt Coordinator
Other than the appearance, the only reason I can think to paint the bottom is to keep moisture from being absorbed into the cabinet. This is assuming that the cabinet is made out of MDF. But even still, your room or weather would have to be extremely damp to affect it.

I don't think you will have a single problem by not painting it ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks