Mid Q sealed tempest box questions...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Alex_P, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Alex_P

Alex_P Stunt Coordinator

Hi all, I'm ready to glue together my cabinet. I have a few questions:

1. As for glue, I have a bottle of Silicone I. Is it good for gluing the box together? or should I get a diff type of wood glue, if so what is it?

2. On the cracks and chipped off MDF, what should I use to cover it and smooth it out? Can I use the same material for the interior of the box to prevent air leak?

3. I am planning to spray paint black my box. I just don't know what kind of paint should I get (there's so many diff one out there)? Any suggestions? I want something that is easy and will look good? Or any finishes that I use consider?

4. As for stuffing the polyfill, do I need to glue it on the MDF? Or just stuff 2 bags of 20 oz?

5. On the driver hole, do I need to put anything there to prevent air-leak be4 I screwed the driver in?

Sorry for so many questions. Some of them might have been posted be4, apologize if I missed them. I'm so new to this. I've just done cutting the MDF, and ready to assemble the box together. I just got my Tempest yesterday. That thing looks huge. I'm so excited to get it up and running...

TIA,
    Alex

2. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

1. Wood glue is best, not as sticky. Silicone is good for sealing internal seams.

2. You can fix these with Polyfilla.

3. Spray paint stinks. You can use water or latex based paint instead.

4. Just staple it.

5. Use the silicone to make a gasket or buy closed cell foam.

Take your time and it will be worth it. I have built 4 enclosures for my Tempest and settled on an EBS.

3. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Fix the damage to the MDF after the box is completed. Use Bondo

The current cool thing for finishing the wood is truckbed liner. First give the mdf a coat of some cheap black spray paint to seal it. Then apply the truck bed liner. It makes a finish that's much stonger than paint.

Use Titebond II to glue the wood together.

If it's a sealed box (not ported) then yes just fluff up the polyfill and put it in the box.

Only use the Silicone for sealing the inside joints of the box. If you use it to make a gasket for the woofer, you run the risk of gluing in the driver. That's a BIG mistake

4. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

No kidding. I know a friend who did that to some crummy woofer. He cant take it off now.

When I first put my tempest together, I was lacking a cell material to put between the woofer mount and baffle. Only had a couple of spots where some air could come out. After that I bought some closed cell weather stripping and havent had a problem since.

Good luck.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Alex_P

Alex_P Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for a quick respond. I went to HD and got myself Titebond II and Wood filler. I guess I am just anxious to finish up the box [​IMG] One more thing though, what stuff do you guys use between the driver and MDF to help from air leaking? What is it call so I can go get it in HD? Some kind of foam? This forum rocks...

Alex,

6. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Alex,

To seal the gap where the subwoofer driver mounts to the MDF, use some closed cell foam. This is the stuff found in the weatherstripping section and is sold under the name "Foam King."

Some of us have found that using a P.V.A. primer - which is meant for new drywall does a great job of sealing the MDF before painting it. I can confirm that this works well, too. [​IMG]

7. Bob K

Bob K Stunt Coordinator

8. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

FWIW I used an automotive glass clear silicone for 4 enclosures for my Tempest and it was never a problem taking it out, even when it was flush mounted. I found it provided a very air tight seal and doesnt stick to driver. I just smeared it around the opening and let it dry then screwed the Tempest in.