seal between driver and MDF?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Alex_P, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Alex_P

Alex_P Stunt Coordinator

I've just completely glue my box together. It's a Tempest sealed Med Q from Adire. I have a question regarding a seal or some kind of foam seal between the driver and the MDF. What is the stuff you guys use for it? I do need the name for it. Can I use it to seal between the amp and the MDF as well? I want some thing that will not stick to the MDF and/or the driver. Cuz I am planning to take it out some day and build a vented box for it. TIA!

I'll probably going to post 1 more question on how to wire them up. I'm still waiting for amp to arrive from PE. Sorry for so many questions for my project. I'm totally new at this. I just can't wait to hear it. Looks like I need to wait longer due to the rain in California, I need to delay my painting for 4 days or so... Just anxious to get it done... The darn box is heavy. Anybody know approximately how heavy is it when it's finish? There are 2 pieces of MDF glued together on the driver piece. Thanks!

Alex,

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Closed cell foam tape should do the trick.

3. Bob K

Bob K Stunt Coordinator

Alex,

I too have a sealed mid-Q Tempest. I used a product called Mortite to seal the driver to the box. It's sold as weatherstripping for windows. I got it at Sears, although I think the BORG sells it as well. I think one of my construction pictures shows it.

On wiring, you may already know this, but the Adire site has detailed instructions on how to wire up a dual voice coil driver such as the Tempest. Wire it up in parallel.

You did the right thing to double up the driver baffle. I don't know how heavy the completed sub is, but I do know that I had to go out and buy a hand truck to get it from my garage into the house, and even then it took two of us! When transporting, wrap it with an old blanket so you don't scratch the finish.

Good luck! You're going to love your sub!

Tempest Construction Pix: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/m...view_album.php

4. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Or you can use rope caulk from the local HD/hardware store.

5. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

Need the name? How about a picture? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

From your local Home Depot. Don't know if this is the exact width and height I used, but it is very close.

rf

6. nickpgoodman

nickpgoodman Auditioning

I have to second that suggestion for rope caulk, I just built a Dayton Titanic in a sealed box and the rope caulk worked like a charm.

7. Alex_P

Alex_P Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys... I got that rubber foam weatherseal at HP today. I also got my PE 250W amp today as well. All I need now is to paint it. I got the sealer spray, 2 can of black paint and 1 can of truckbed liner... All set and go... Can't wait to get it done... darn weather is holding me back [​IMG]

Thanks again...

Alex,