What's new

Snow White LD -- CLV vs. CAV (1 Viewer)

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
With the release of Snow White on DVD, I've been seeing a large number of LDs of it for very little money locally, including a CAV box for $30 CDN. The CLVs tend to be $10 or less.
Are there any extras on the CLV disc? How are the extras on the CAV set? Anything I should look out for or know about these discs?
Basically, which one should I buy? :)
-Aaron

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I ended up getting both of these, since I bought the CLV when it came out then got the CAV for Christmas. The CLV has not extras, but only one side break in the middle of the movie while it's spread to 3 sides on the CAV. The CAV edition has a music-only track and a hardcover book which the DVD doesn't have, not sure if there's anything else it has that the DVD doesn't.

Steve Grimes

Auditioning
Just thought I'd throw this in:

The DVD does NOT contain all of the CAV disk's extras. I haven't taken the time to document all that's missing, but off the top of my head I know that the Walt Disney biographical timeline is missing all of the stills, and the section on merchandising is ridiculously shortened (on the CAV disk you get to see some soon to be famous people modeling, such as Lucille Ball). I know there was more, but I can't remember it right now.

And, to be fair, the DVD has a lot that the CAV doesn't and looks MUCH nicer. Personally, I like the attention to detail that the CAV disk has; the DVD was aimed at the masses, and watered down accordingly.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Are the side changes well-placed on the CAV?

How is the isolated score, sound quality-wise?

I think the isolated score is the real draw for me.

Overall, how does the transfer look?

Thanks.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Although it's not on the DVD, I would definately get the score CD.

According to the liner notes, it took 3000 edits to get the score/soundtrack repieced together from 6 sources...without ANY use of the original floor recordings (which were lost.)

The PCM mono on the CD is wonderful...better than what a 1.0 Dolby Digital track would have been.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Are the PCM tracks on the LD mono, or has the film been remixed? If it's a remix, how is it?

Is the soundtrack CD better than the recording on the analog tracks of the CAV LD? (If you've compared them.) Because, heck, if it is, I might as well pick up an $8 CLV disc and then the soundtrack CD.

Though I'm curious to see some of the extras on the CAV LD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks