What's new

SNL Season 1 on 12/5/06 (and season sets in general) (1 Viewer)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
There are many, many gems in this season set - The Dead String Quartet, Richard Pryor's take on the Exorcist ("The BED is ON my FOOT!"), Elliott Gould and Dan Aykroyd taking apart Jane Curtin's living room, Don Corleone in therapy, etc.

There's a real buzz throughout the season that still comes across on the DVD's - you can really feel the cast and writers finding out what the show really is for them. I really have to agree with the SNL writer who said that this wasn't necessarily the BEST season, but it was the one where the show was the newest and rawest.

That said, it's instructive to see the last two programs with Louise Lasser and Kris Kristofferson. The second one comes across as odd until you realize what's dragging down his performance. The first one comes across as one of the closest things to an on-air train wreck I've ever seen on the show. Even the first and best cast of SNL could not stop that train from going off the cliff, and there's something morbidly fascinating about watching it plunge into the abyss...

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Since the DVD now ships without the limited edition booklet, my guess is that it's selling pretty well. Good sign at least.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
It seems that the set is selling well enough, from my own experiences not being able to find a set anywhere in the days before XMAS and the new packaging suggesting a second pressing. I'm wondering, assuming the sales are strong enough is when we'll get the announcement on the next season. If they want to release these at any sort of pace, I would hope to get some word relatavely soon. Of course, strong holiday sales may make Universal/Broadway wait on another release (hope that will not be the case) Anyone have any info on this?

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I hope they had started working on licensing season 2 music before season 1 came out, so hopefully we don't have too long a wait. I just really hope it isn't a one-a-year thing.

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator
In case any of you haven't read "A Conversation with Universal Studios Home Entertainment" with Ken Graffeo EVP of Universal Studios Home Entertainment on January 23rd, 2007 (which is on this forum) here is a question on DVD titles to be released.

Q: Any word on the following catalog titles making it out on DVD and if so what timeframe(s) and specs:
Conan the Destroyer Special Edition (w/deleted scenes)
Lonely Are the Brave
Mary Queen of Scotts
Anne of the Thousand Days
Boom!
Mirage
Arabesque
Gambit
Diary of a Mad Housewife

A: No word on these specific titles. Universal feels that they are pretty deep into their catalog. There will be some re-releases and more classics will be released. Look for more themed sets (like the Gary Cooper and Cary Grant Screen Legends collections). There will be more SNL complete seasons coming; they just take a while with all the needed clearances.

While it is no surprise to read this given the suspected sales, I guess that makes it as close to official as possible at this time. Hopefully now they will confirm they are using the live copy for each episode and other than cutting out the commercials just leave the episodes alone. That is assuming of course they will be able to clear all of the music licensing rights for each season.

neuroticomic

Agent
Real Name
tommy
quick SNL trivia what bit is this song lyric from?
hint: its from the Bill Murray years.

'I wanna wear, a 2 piece bathing suit, I wanna meet a boy whos really cute."

from one of my favorite sketches and can't wait till that season is released.

good to know, more are coming.
ya heard.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Just a heads-up: The Bits' Rumor Mill has SNL season 2 listed as coming in August.

Sounds like good news to me!

WillG

Senior HTF Member
It's nice to see that there are plans for the next season, although August does kill my hope that we'll get more than one season per year. I understand that it takes time to get the necessary clearances, but it sucks that they apparently can't crank out seasons at a faster pace.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
it is strange to have it come out in August since season one was a favorite Christmas gift amongst my pals. (Or at least it is what they burned their gift cards on). Maybe they'll try to squeak out season 3 before the holiday rush?

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Well, with the first season out in November 2006 and the possibility of the 2nd season in August 2007, it's still 2 sets in a year and who knows....if we get that second this summer we may still get a third before Thanksgiving. ;)

BurnYrHouseDown

Auditioning
Real Name
James
I'd imagine that, as it sounds like the first set was pretty successful, that they're probably working on more than one set at a time now. You know, maybe the saw the first set do well and said, "let's starting prepping the next 2 or 3 or 4 or whatever, resulting in more time between 1 and 2, but then less time between future sets...

just a thought.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'm with BurnYrHouseDown, I would imagine that they wanted to wait and see how season 1 did before they took the time to license season 2+ music, but now that they know the show sells they'll start working in advance for future releases to speed things up.

I can't believe they would want to continue at a snail's pace and go one at a time when sales are there.

ETA: I hope they include the Mardi Gras episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks