What's new

SNL Season 1 on 12/5/06 (and season sets in general) (1 Viewer)

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
So much for paying attention to what the fans want. If they don't release the Eddie Murphy or Crystal/Short seasons then they are idiots !

ThorstenB

Auditioning
Real Name
Thorsten
I think its great to skip 80-85 as i'm only going to buy the first four seasons and then from 1986 on... So if they don't skip the 80-85 years, i might have to wait a loooooooooooooooooooooong time........ and the sales sure will not be good with the 80-85.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Eddie Murphy's involvement could make for successful sales of those years. If Michaels was not involved with the show during those years, what would stop Universal from releasing those seasons at some point?

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Eddie will only get involved if they pay him a large chunk of cash. Odds are pretty slim that Lorne will open up the coffers. If he cared about his comedic legacy, he wouldn't have made Daddy Daycare.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
The Eddie Murphy seasons would all be released even without Lorne Michaels producing and also pre-Ebersol (most of the short 1980-81 season) because Murphy was on for 4 seasons and he and Joe Piscopo put the show back on the map.

The same goes with Ebersol's last year because of Martin Short and Billy Crystal being regulars along with some quality writing.

Michaels stepped away from his creation for 5 years, but during that time his then-new production company was still pulling the strings. ;)

And don't forget that several portions of 1981-85 were previously released in "Best Of" collections that Broadway Video put out on VHS.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
you're kidding, right? Give me Murphy or Crystal over Will Ferrill or Jimmy Fallon any day of the week. I'm not one of those "I hate anything recent" types but SNL in the past decade is horrible compared to the Eddie years or the "all stars" season. Lorne looks like a bad sport with his "if I wasn't involved, then it didn't exist" mentality. A lot of us loved the Eddie Murphy years.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

No, I just meant his involvement as a cast member. Not in DVD sets themselves. Eddie Murphy as a cast member would be a big selling point and could drive healthy sales. Look at how much money "Norbit" made!

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

Universal has a distribution deal with Broadway Video. Broadway Video decides what's released.

Gord

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Judging by the Starmaker VHS Best Of years in the 90s (for which Broadway Video and Lorne Michaels had an active part in helping produce), there are several episodes from the Eddie Murphy seasons and at least a few from the 1984-85 season as well. Want more proof of Michaels' interest in the Ebersol era? Just watch the 15th and 25th Anniversary specials. Joe Piscopo had an amusing cameo in the first one.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus, who was on SNL for 3 years during and after Murphy was on the show, was the first Ebersol cast member whom Lorne got to come back and HOST the show. Julia appeared in May 2006, and she will do it again on March 17, 2007.

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I bought the set for a friend for Xmas. Now I see it for $39 Canadian. Is it a good set to start with? When I read all what people are saying. Like a set a year, etc.......

HELP!!!! NOW that I finally bought myself this at this date 4/25/07 it was $70 yikes. I bought it anyways.

Why did they raise the price of it if they want to get more seasons released.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
With a show that has been on for so long, had so many cast members and so many incernations, there will always be people who prefer one era over another. There's no way Universal can please everyone. For me, I'd be happy with the first 5 years with the Not-Ready-For-Primetime Players. I would consider getting some of the Murphy years or maybe even some of the later years, but the first 5 are pre-sold, IMO.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson

Now that we know season 2 is in the works, unless something drastic happens I'm sure we'll get to the 79-80 season

but I'm really interested in the 80/81Doumanian season - just as a fan of the history of the show, it's like wanting to see the Louise Lasser ep, or the Milton Berle ep, or the Mardi Gras primetime show. Bad or Good, theyre interesting for they're own reason.

I'm just afraid they'll skip forward to either season 7 (81-82), the first full Ebersol year, season 10 (84-85) the "all-star" cast, or season 12 (86-87) The first year with Hartman and Carvey etc. Lorne's first year back (s11) is regarded as pretty much a failure as well (only Lovitz, Miller, and Nora Dunn survived)

I guess we'll know in a few years what's going to happen but hopefully we can let Broadway Video know that we want EVERY season.

Bill Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill Robertson
Hi all, I've just got the complete first season of SNL after watching the "First Five Years" documentary and the Akroyd and Belushi "best of's" (whatever happened to Chevy Chase's best of btw? I remember watching all three on late night tv here in the UK a few years back)

Anyway, I'm sure you can see this coming;) ...has anyone heard anything about future complete seasons being released? I've emailed Universal and will post any response I get.

Thanks in advance

Edit: I see I've been moved to a pre-existing thread - my bad. I never thought to look for the old season one thread!

Having read a few of the posts here, I am feeling a little gipped that my set doesn't have the booklet - if this is a repress they could at least remove the part about the booklet from the packaging.

Midway through the first episode now, man, George Carlin really sucked! I've heard some of his stand up before and it was waaay funier than this.

Bill Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill Robertson
Just got this from Universal today...

Dear Bill,

Thank you for contacting Universal Studios Home Entertainment, U.S.
Please direct your inquiry to Universal Pictures International, Oxford House, 76
Oxford Street London W1N 1BS England 44 (0) 20 7307 1371.
We appreciate your interest and hope that you will continue to enjoy Universal
products.

Sincerely,

Universal Studios Home Entertainment

Helpful eh? All I asked was were there any more complete seasons in the pipeline. Seeing as I had to import my R1 copy to the UK I have a feeling the UK branch of Universal won't be able to help me much!

WillG

Senior HTF Member

There is a short chat somewhere on this forum with Universal where they state that they do plan on releasing more complete seasons. The did say it takes awhile to work out all the clearances though, so no one is quite sure when another set will be released.

Bill Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill Robertson
Yeah, I had heard that the music clearances and stuff were the major issue with these sets. I'm not asking for tha concrete release date but it would be nice if they could give us a timeframe of some kind you know, "we're currently in the process of getting the clearances and hope to have Season two out for the end of 2007" or something like that so that we would know they were in the works for real at least rather than just "we're thinking about it"

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
From March 1, 2007:

They may not make that release date, but it sounds like it is in the works.

Bill Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill Robertson
Thanks for that - very interesting article. I especially loved this part "After a 32-year wrangle for music clearances, Broadway’s DVD production team was given only six weeks to get the collection to market in time for the Christmas buying season.":laugh:
You think they would've planned their release schedule a little better so they could have the time to work on them properly rather than the rush job they got handed.

Ah well, still got the rest of season one to work through while I wait for season two. Its nice to see the show developing in front of me. I'm only up to show three and already the format is tentatively taking shape and the crap to comedy gold ratio is improving (real stinkers so far - Valri Broomfield's stand up and Mark Hampton & Denny Dillon as nuns. Don't get me started in the Lockers either!). Best moment so far has been the third Bee sketch - its a pretty far out concept with Rob Reiner referring back to the first two sketches (the first one was pretty lame its true but how smart of them to make that part of the gag) I was in stitches every time Belushi moved his head.
The other big suprise has been Andy Kaufman - When I watched "Man on the Moon" I found his bits to be sort of funny in a wry smile kinda way but not laugh out loud however, watching the real Andy do them is inexplicably hilarious:laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks