Smallville DVD- Looks Great!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RafaelB, Jul 1, 2002.

1. RafaelB

RafaelB Second Unit

Hey,
    I received the SMALLVILLE DVD in the mail Saturday and watched it first thing. WOW- it was so nice to see it in 16x9 widescreen and the DD 5.1 sound was pretty amazing. The only things that bothered me about it was that the Commentary was a bit too self-congratulatory and the opening credits aren't on there . I'm pretty sure it's probably because there were some music clearance issues, but I do have to say that the extras are really nice, esp. the deleted scenes (which isn't listed on the case, BTW).
    So, this is well worth a purchase, IMHO. [​IMG]
    Rafael

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Has this been released already? It's on my Must Import list.

3. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

The opening credits never aired with the pilot episode. They came in episode 2, or some times episode 3. (because episode 2 on the DVD is shown with the first one as one long movie, instead of 2 episodes)

The credits would be on seasonal sets though. Assuming they ever get released.

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Release date is this Tuesday.
    You can order it via a link in my Weekly Roundup (HTF's Coupons & Bargains section...click on the pic of my face in my signature to get to that section, and you'll see the 7/2 Roundup near the top of the thread listing).
    Alternatively, you can read Gord Lacey's review of this disc at TVShowsOnDVD and he's got a link in the text of the review.
    I have my copy on order... [​IMG]

5. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

If you're a fan of the show, this disc is a MUST. It looks very, very good with rich colors, a crisp, well framed, anamorphic widescreen image and good (not great) 5.1 DD sound. Perhaps this is a sign of the quality expected from a possible future release of a season one box set and raises the expectations of the anticipated season two 720p high-def broadcasts, next year on the WB network.
    Picked up my copy from a local, small video store since Amazon canceled all pre-orders into the USA. Check around and try to nab this one, it is well worth the $15.00.
    Nice job Warners, thank you.
    -Gary
    TV:Toshiba 40H80
    DVD[​IMG]anasonic RP-91
    Receiver:Yamaha 995

6. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

I'm a big fan of the show. Thanks for this "heads-up." I had no idea the pilot was going to be available on DVD...and widescreen anamorphic, 5.1 DD to boot! Woohoo!
    I just placed my order with DVDSoon.com. This is my first time importing a disc, so we'll see how it goes. I'll report back when I get it.

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Chapters Online should be shipping it anytime now[​IMG] I'm assuming it was filmed for HDTV, and the widescreen won't be tilt-and-scan ala Book of the Dead?

8. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Interesting little tidbit from the deleted scenes section (which isn't mentioned on the box): Gabe Sullivan is played by a different actor than in later episodes.

This is a great DVD for any fans of the show.

9. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I wonder if this is a test disc to see how the show would do on dvd. Has anyone heard anything about future possible releases?

10. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    This great American legend is ( ironically ) filmed in Canada and is a U.S. / Canada co-production. The Canadian producers hold video rights for Canada and have decided to release the pilot on DVD . It is a separate decision from Warner Brothers in the United States, although Warner Video in Canada distribute the disc . I'm sure Warner U.S. will be watching the results with interest.

Strangely enough, the Smallville scenes for SUPERMAN - THE MOVIE were also shot in Canada!

11. David Lambert

12. Henry V

Henry V Stunt Coordinator

Joe Shuster the artistic half of the Superman creative team of Siegel&Shuster,is the the Canadian connection.
    His cousin was half of the 60's hit comedy team Wayne&Shuster from the Ed Sullivan show.

13. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I enjoyed the show, far FAR more than I ever thought I would. The original conception of it was an idea that didn't sit too well with me, but I liked it a heck of a lot. I am only reluctant in buying this disc due to wondering if I'd ever have the follow up episodes to sit beside it on the shelf anytime soon.

Dan

14. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Screenwriter

Pete
    I want this so bad! I only recently got the WB so only saw a few of the later episodes. can anyone here tell me where is the best place to buy it from online. Considering price and shipping since I am in the U.S.

Thanks for all the help,
    Pete

15. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

16. Henry V

Henry V Stunt Coordinator

As to "can anyone here tell me where is the best place to buy it from online",try www.dvd-plus.com
    I can personally vouch for Don&Dave since I'm a regular customer of theirs and I just saw stacks of "Smallville" DVDs on the counter when I was in there the other day.[​IMG]

17. David Lambert

I have always found VideoFlicks to be 100% reliable for my Canadian DVD needs, and have great customer service to boot!

18. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

If I dont get it for my birthday that is in 2 days then I'll be sure to pick it up soon. [​IMG]

19. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

I didn't think I would have enjoyed this show, but damn, it's addictive.
    To me it's like having Dawson's Creek mixed in with The X-files (having Mark Snow for music is plus, although I think he just rehashing some the X-files stuff)and the actors, as good looking as they are, can act.

Plus the Kristin Kreuk is simply stunning. She reminds me of Juliet from the 60's Romeo & Juliet film. Wow!

20. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

Mmmmmm, Olivia Hussey [​IMG]
    Plus, you gotta love the name! [​IMG]
    -Lyle J.P.