What's new

Smallville coming to dvd w/extras...But! it is for R2.... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
According to a news post from Toon Zone Forums. The pilot episode of Smallville will be coming this year to dvd in R2 only. It will have extras, including deleted scenes. It also mentions more episodes or a season box set coming. Hopefully, we here in R1 will get them soon too. :rolleyes:
Sometimes it really sucks being a tv show fan in R1.
Here is the link:
http://forums.toonzone.net/showthrea...threadid=21364

John Torrez

Second Unit
If this is really true then I am gonna have to get me a region-free dvd player. I am so sick of waiting to get our favorite shows on dvd over here.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I'd be interested to know if the discs will be anamorphic widescreen. The episodes are broadcast 1.78:1 here and it's framed really nicely.

Dan

LarryH

Supporting Actor
I'd like to get these on DVD as I can't watch the first runs because of the very poor signal on the original broadcasts (the same with Deep Space 9, Star Trek Voyager and especially Enterprise).

Rant:

[rant] Between poor-quality UHF stations and crummy competition-free cable, there seems to be no incentive to improve signals on these second- and third-level networks while congress makes sure we can't get good satellite feeds. [/rant]

DannyS

Second Unit
this is all due to what they call "sydication rights issues"

isn't it. I think it means it's got to run for so lnong on US TV until they run out then they can release it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Larry,

I agree. I thought it was my tv or my dishnetwork receiver. I was watching Enterprise the other night. The picture looked blurred and the their seem to be a lack of any bright colors. It looked faded. The best I have ever seen the show. Was when I saw the preview for Enterprise on the Star Trek:The Motion Picture dvd. It looked awesome clean, crisp and full of color.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
Is anyone keeping score how many times R1 is getting screwed when it comes to TV series on DVD?
This is the way it's going to be as long as networks/studios can make 100's of millions of dollars or even more in profits from syndication in the U.S.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I've been advocating this:

On the season finale, you advertise "Call this number now to order CoolShow Season X on DVD. You have till DAY Y to get your order in, and then it will be closed" They then run to those orders, and hold the full release till after syndication hits

Those who are the true fans get their sets, and they get their syndication.

StevenF

Stunt Coordinator
Smallville is out for R1! It is a Candadian exclusive only. It has the pilot episode and the 1st in Widescreen. I have and and it's a real good clean version.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
As for you R1'ers being "screwed when it comes to TV series", let me point out that not all series even make it over here in the first place. Getting them first on DVD in R2 seems like the least we deserve. ;)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Kimmo,I do wish to point out that at least you got them on video. Until 2 years ago the best we could EVER hope for were soem best-of sets

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I've seen the Canadian disc for sale in Las Vegas at Tower, but they had it marked up way too high. I'd get it online much cheaper from Thunder DVD or something. The running time on the back didn't make sense if the disc contains both the pilot and the second show. The pilot ran in a special 70 min slot in the US, and even allowing for commericals, it seemed too short. Was something cut?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks