What's new

Stagecoach West TV Series 1960-61 New DVD Release! (1 Viewer)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
None of which are Four Star shows so highly doubtful.
In order of your list: MGM, ITC, Fox, Sony, NBC Universal
I just checked the list of Four Star Shows. Plenty of good shows for them to release: Mr Adams And Eve, Johnny Ringo, Black Saddle, Saints And Sinners etc. Let’s hope Stagecoach does well for them and we see some of these programs!

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Next up for me is another favorite, episode 10, The Storm, guest starring Beverly Garland as a ruthless, stone-cold killer! I will post screen caps, no spoilers...

Randall after reading your synopsis of The Storm, it sounded a lot like an episode of Trackdown I saw once. All I remember is that it involved Hobey being held prisoner in a shack during a snowstorm with a husband & wife couple who were wrong'uns, and the husband was wounded and the wife was the more cold-blooded of the two. I looked up the very brief summaries on IMDB, and it is an episode called Trapped, and the writers are the same ones as the writers for The Storm. I wonder if both were based on a story they wrote, or if they just decided to write a more fleshed out version in the one-hour format?

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Stagecoach West episode 10, The Storm continued...

Luke (Wayne Rogers), leaving behind an exhausted Doc Apperson (J. Pat O'Malley) under a shelter, and having barely survived his trek through the blizzard, finally arrives at the way station...and once again finds himself under the gun of fugitive murderer Sherry Hilton (Beverly Garland), now frantic as her grievously wounded romantic partner Selby (Tom Drake) apparently is in the process of dying...

Another great write-up, Randall, with some terrific pics of the lovely and talented Beverly Garland. You'll be glad to know that you have elicited yet another sale...I just ordered a copy of Stagecoach West this morning. Had to have it shipped to my family's U.S. address, as Renown currently can't seem to ship to Japan. So it'll be a while before I get my hands on this sucker, but am definitely looking forward to it!

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Randall after reading your synopsis of The Storm, it sounded a lot like an episode of Trackdown I saw once. All I remember is that it involved Hobey being held prisoner in a shack during a snowstorm with a husband & wife couple who were wrong'uns, and the husband was wounded and the wife was the more cold-blooded of the two. I looked up the very brief summaries on IMDB, and it is an episode called Trapped, and the writers are the same ones as the writers for The Storm. I wonder if both were based on a story they wrote, or if they just decided to write a more fleshed out version in the one-hour format?
Interesting info there, David...I don't have a definitive answer, but like yourself, it's a logical conclusion that D.D. Beauchamp and Mary M. Beauchamp simply fleshed out an earlier script produced for Trackdown, another excellent Four Star show for the purpose of expediting the production of an early episode of the same company's Stagecoach West...especially during the prolonged Writer's Guild Strike of 1960...the Beauchamp's (married couple?) probably didn't have guild complications during the strike action, as I see they held a producer's capacity, credited as "story consultants" for all 38 episodes in the end credits...the same duo are credited with writing 10 scripts for Stagecoach West, 9 for Wanted Dead or Alive and 7 for Trackdown among their many colaborations...it is a well written script, propelled by fine performances by Beverly Garland and Wayne Rogers...
Another great write-up, Randall, with some terrific pics of the lovely and talented Beverly Garland. You'll be glad to know that you have elicited yet another sale...I just ordered a copy of Stagecoach West this morning. Had to have it shipped to my family's U.S. address, as Renown currently can't seem to ship to Japan. So it'll be a while before I get my hands on this sucker, but am definitely looking forward to it!
Thanks Jeff! Glad to hear you'll be getting to see this great Western series at some point in the near future...I've long had about half the run from collector's prints, but having the whole 38 episodes in this superb DVD set is a pleasant surprise, considering the dearth of vintage B+W TV releases these last several years. And the line-up of great guest stars is another real asset, Beverly Garland being among my favorites...and she's scary here! A cold-blooded, stone-cold killer, but not without some mildly redeeming features, ha, ha...and her 'Wanted' poster is a real winner by frontier standards...I could see Chester Goode and Festus Hagen setting this one aside among their treasured collections, ha, ha...man, the 'Police Gazette' would be put to shame...
Stagecoach West 253.JPG

Stagecoach West 260.JPG

Stagecoach West 294.JPG

Stagecoach West 283.JPG

1617590380641.png

Just started episode five. I’ve been very impressed with everything about this series. The stars. The storylines. And especially Skip Martin’s music.
I agree Gary! Stagecoach West is easily the equal of the best contemporary and better known Western TV Dramas of it's era, despite only getting a single season...thank goodness that they made 38 one hour episodes, the equivalent in running time for some other series' multiple seasons! And love that theme music and closing vocals too! Very catchy!

Last edited:

fdabbott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
This is a big deal in the world of Classic TV on DVD collecting...the first B+W TV Western Series to be released on DVD since WAC released A Man Called Shenandoah in 2018...and what was the last ONE HOUR B+W Western TV series released on DVD? I'd have to ponder on that one...

I received my 8 DVD (Region 2 locked, although it says Region 0 on the box in fine print) set of Stagecoach West from Renown Pictures UK last week. The 38 episode one hour Western series from Dick Powell's Four Star Productions premiered in October 1960 as part of ABC's Tuesday night lineup against CBS' new sit-com The Tom Ewell Show and the returning and long running Red Skelton Show, and another premiere in NBC's Boris Karloff's Thriller...

Stagecoach West starred Wayne Rogers (Cool Hand Luke, M.A.S.H., House Calls), Richard Eyer (7th Voyage of Sinbad, Invisible Boy, Desperate Hours) and Robert Bray (My Gun is Quick, Big House U.S.A., Lassie) as the operators of a Stage line in the old West...filmed on location at Old Tucson and area, the contemporary stomping grounds of Rawhide...

Renown's promotional materials...
View attachment 92617

This was an action packed series with many big name guest stars...very violent, especially compared to the early 1970s TV Westerns I've been watching lately...with the typically high production values evident in other Four Star series that have come to DVD, in whole or in part...Burke's Law, Honey West, The Big Valley, Zane Grey Theatre, The Rifleman, Wanted Dead or Alive, The Westerner and The Loner...did I miss any?

I took some screen caps from the pilot episode, High Lonesome (October 4, 1960) D: Don McDougall. W: D.D.Beauchamp. Mary Beauchamp. Guest starring Jane Greer (Out of the Past), James Best, Robert F. Simon, Lane Bradford...

Simon Kane (Robert Bray), hoping to flee the shackles of indentured servitude imposed on him by evil banker Tom Osgoode (Robert F. Simon), finally pays off his $2000 debt and takes his 15 year old son Davey Kane (Richard Eyer) on a trip to the 'High Lonesome' country to start a new life...but not before Simon has to beat up the crooked banker Osgoode to finally get his 'note' that Osgoode has held over his head these many years...Osgoode hires professional killer Les Hardeen (James Best) to intercept Simon, to kill him and destroy the note in a bid to frame him for robbery...the stage line driver is Luke Perry (Wayne Rogers)...the Kanes and Perry are destined to form a solid partnership in short order...as they arrive at an overnight stage stop where Hardeen awaits...along with a mysterious woman, Kathleen (Jane Greer), who shows a strange concern of familiarity toward young Davey...
View attachment 92621
View attachment 92622
View attachment 92623
View attachment 92624
View attachment 92625
View attachment 92626

Robert Bray...a reliably intense presence...
View attachment 92627

Richard Eyer...best remembered as the boy 'Genie' in The 7th Voyage of Sinbad...the kid is very good in this series...the little Jack Russell Terrier is named 'Hannibal", a very talented movie pup...
View attachment 92628

Wayne Rogers, ten years away from his later career signature role on M.A.S.H....
View attachment 92629

Robert F. Simon...
View attachment 92630

James Best...at his best as this dangerous but charming killer...
View attachment 92631

Old Tucson...a busy place for Westerns...
View attachment 92632

Jane Greer, undoubtedly best remembered for her role in the essential 'Noir' Out of the Past in 1947...
View attachment 92633
View attachment 92635

The mysterious Kathleen recognizes Hardeen for the killer he is, much to his surprise...he doesn't remember her, but she testified against him in a case that saw Hardeen jailed for 5 years...he startles her by informing her that he's here to kill a man...
View attachment 92636
View attachment 92637

Luke, having arrived at the way station and being unaware of what's afoot, finds Hardeen to be amusing...
View attachment 92639

Simon, worried also for his son, soon understands that his life is in danger...a tense showdown soon transpires...if looks could kill...
View attachment 92640
View attachment 92641

Continued next post...

fdabbott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
You ask did you miss any. Your sure did. Trackdown, Black Saddle, Johnny Ringo and Law of The Plainsman, all far better than Stagecoach West although Stagecoach West was also a good series. I bought the series as soon as it was released and it is excellent quality and an enjoyable series to watch.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
You ask did you miss any. Your sure did. Trackdown, Black Saddle, Johnny Ringo and Law of The Plainsman, all far better than Stagecoach West although Stagecoach West was also a good series. I bought the series as soon as it was released and it is excellent quality and an enjoyable series to watch.
I didn't "your sure did" anything. You missed something yourself. I clearly said FOUR STAR SERIES THAT HAVE COME TO DVD, IN WHOLE OR IN PART.

To quote myself from my first post in this thread:
This was an action packed series with many big name guest stars...very violent, especially compared to the early 1970s TV Westerns I've been watching lately...with the typically high production values evident in other Four Star series that have come to DVD, in whole or in part...Burke's Law, Honey West, The Big Valley, Zane Grey Theatre, The Rifleman, Wanted Dead or Alive, The Westerner and The Loner...did I miss any?
If you had read the intervening pages in this thread, you would have seen that we have discussed the fact that Trackdown, Black Saddle, Johnny Ringo and Law of the Plainsman have not had a studio or licensed DVD release. I would also take issue with your assertion that these shows are "far better" than Stagecoach West. The whole Four Star catalogue is of high quality. But I would particularly love to see Trackdown and Black Saddle, both excellent series, arrive in remastered DVD sets.

But thank you for your contribution. After buying the new set unseen with my own money, I've put a lot of work into this thread discussing the series, showing the high quality of Renown's new set and taking screen captures from the DVDs, trying to get the word out to our small collecting circle. I've done that to help my fellow classic TV fans. Perhaps my posts gave you the confidence to buy the new Renown set, already assured of it's quality? Don't thank me now, but by all means, keep misreading what I've written here, and then let me know about it immediately. I'm glad you've purchased it, and now that you have your new DVD set of Stagecoach West, perhaps you'll put some work into discussing some of your favorite episodes here?

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I didn't "your sure did" anything. You missed something yourself. I clearly said FOUR STAR SERIES THAT HAVE COME TO DVD, IN WHOLE OR IN PART.

To quote myself from my first post in this thread:

If you had read the intervening pages in this thread, you would have seen that we have discussed the fact that Trackdown, Black Saddle, Johnny Ringo and Law of the Plainsman have not had a studio or licensed DVD release. I would also take issue with your assertion that these shows are "far better" than Stagecoach West. The whole Four Star catalogue is of high quality. But I would particularly love to see Trackdown and Black Saddle, both excellent series, arrive in remastered DVD sets.

But thank you for your contribution. After buying the new set unseen with my own money, I've put a lot of work into this thread discussing the series, showing the high quality of Renown's new set and taking screen captures from the DVDs, trying to get the word out to our small collecting circle. I've done that to help my fellow classic TV fans. Perhaps my posts gave you the confidence to buy the new Renown set, already assured of it's quality? Don't thank me now, but by all means, keep misreading what I've written here, and then let me know about it immediately. I'm glad you've purchased it, and now that you have your new DVD set of Stagecoach West, perhaps you'll put some work into discussing some of your favorite episodes here?
I will definitely be buying this. Just waiting to see how many other shows I can order all at once from renownfilms.co.uk.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Just received a care package from my family back in the States this evening...among the goodies inside are a stack of Blu-Rays I ordered from the final Warner Archive 4 for $4 sale, as well as a bunch from Kino, as neither of those companies ship overseas...plus a handful of DVD sets, including Stagecoach West! Ordered months ago, and now finally in my hot little hands. Can't wait to dig into this set! Thanks again to Randall for bringing this release to my and other members' attention. I shall report back after I watch an episode or two...

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Re-posting this from the "What did you watch this week...?" thread:

Since receiving my Stagecoach West set, I've watched the following episodes:

1.1 “High Lonesome”
1.5 “The Fork in the Road”
1.32 “Blind Man’s Bluff

This is a sturdy show, with good scripts and action, well-acted by a roster of top guest star talent. In the pilot episode, “High Lonesome,” cheerful Luke Perry (Wayne Rogers) befriends quietly commanding Civil War veteran, Simon Kane (Robert Bray), and Simon’s earnest teenaged son, Davey (Richard Eyer, who receives second billing over his TV father). After helping Simon take out a nasty hired killer (James Best on fine, snarling psycho killer form), Luke offers Simon a job as a stagecoach driver at his company, and the rest of the series follows their various adventures, dealing with all manner of folk they come across, good and (especially) bad.

“The Fork in the Road” is an offbeat tale featuring Jack Warden, Jack Elam and Richard Devon, as former reprobate soldiers who have stolen the coffin containing a famed Union major and are holding it for ransom. Sort of a shaggy dog story, really, but well told, and with an unusual twist at the end. Elam and Devon have only a couple of lines each; this is Warden's show all the way, and he gives a strong performance, matched with some intense underplaying by Robert Bray.

Best of all is “Blind Man’s Bluff,” which revolves around a blind, vengeance-seeking gunfighter named Stace (James Drury, excellent here, a year or so before achieving fame as The Virginian), who is out for revenge on his former girlfriend (Ruta Lee) and her piano player husband (Whit Bissell). An intriguing story that takes some unexpected turns. (Might try and post some screencaps from this episode later.)

All in all, this is a very good hour-long western drama, and I’m really looking forward to working my way through the rest of the episodes in this DVD set.

Last edited:

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Re-posting this from the "What did you watch this week...?" thread:

Since receiving my Stagecoach West set, I've watched the following episodes:

1.1 “High Lonesome”
1.5 “The Fork in the Road”
1.32 “Blind Man’s Bluff

This is a sturdy show, with good scripts and action, well-acted by a roster of top guest star talent. In the pilot episode, “High Lonesome,” cheerful Luke Perry (Wayne Rogers) befriends quietly commanding Civil War veteran, Simon Kane (Robert Bray), and Simon’s earnest teenaged son, Davey (Richard Eyer, who receives second billing over his TV father). After helping Simon take out a nasty hired killer (James Best on fine, snarling psycho killer form), Luke offers Simon a job as a stagecoach driver at his company, and the rest of the series follows their various adventures, dealing with all manner of folk they come across, good and (especially) bad.

“The Fork in the Road” is an offbeat tale featuring Jack Warden, Jack Elam and Richard Devon, as former reprobate soldiers who have stolen the coffin containing a famed Union major and are holding it for ransom. Sort of a shaggy dog story, really, but well told, and with an unusual twist at the end. Elam and Devon have only a couple of lines each; this is Warden's show all the way, and he gives a strong performance, matched with some intense underplaying by Robert Bray.

Best of all is “Blind Man’s Bluff,” which revolves around a blind, vengeance-seeking gunfighter named Stace (James Drury, excellent here, a year or so before achieving fame as The Virginian), who is out for revenge on his former girlfriend (Ruta Lee) and her piano player husband (Whit Bissell). An intriguing story that takes some unexpected turns. (Might try and post some screencaps from this episode later.)

All in all, this is a very good hour-long western drama, and I’m really looking forward to working my way through the rest of the episodes in this DVD set.

Jeff, glad you're enjoying Stagecoach West. I'm now going through it for the second time, very slowly to be sure. But your description of it as "sturdy" is a perfect way to describe it. It can't compete with the giants (Gunsmoke, Bonanza) but it tells good stories with great guest stars. And it has a very nice family feel with both leads keeping an eye out for young Davey. And I love Zeke, who manages the halfway house. A really warm way to spend 50 minutes. Have fun!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I’m about halfway through this series. I’m enjoying it alot!
Don’t know how I missed it during it’s network run.
Renown - thanks for releasing it , and let’s have some other Four Star shows! Saints And Sinners, Jeannie Carson Show, Johnny Ringo?

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I made a request to 3rd party Amazon sellers RAREWAVES-IMPORTS and OxfordshireEngland if they might be able to offer Stagecoach West here in the States. The first promptly responded asking for the UPC Barcode which I sent. If you look at renownfilms.co.uk it says Due to postal issues we are not currently able to process orders to the United States, Canada and Australia” I purchased Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season Seven, The Alfred Hitchcock Hour Complete Series, The Four Just Men and Interpol Calling - The Complete Series at good prices from both.
icon_e_hope.gif

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I'm trying to purge as I go these days. Too many titles on hand. Just in case someone is interested in a good as new copy of Stagecoach West. Just PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks