1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Silver Screen Icons 4 film sets from Warners Same As TCM sets

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Garysb, Jul 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Message #1 of 8 Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Silver+Screen+Icons

These appear to be the exact same sets as the TCM 4 film sets with the TCM branding removed. Same films/same sets new packaging.

A disappointment.

If Amazon's description is correct these sets have gone back to flippers. 2 discs 4 films. Unless they managed to fit 2 films on one side of one disc, in which case they most likely removed any extras. The list price is cheaper but you could regularly get the most of TCM sets for $10 or less. Many of them were at Big Lots for $8 or 2 for $14.

2. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    I find it significant that some of those sets include titles already released on Blu-ray disc. Clearly someone believes that the potential DVD market is still far bigger than the Blu-ray market.

3. Allansfirebird

Allansfirebird Supporting Actor

Sean
  4. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    so far I haven't had problems with any of those TCM flippers. But most of those films need blu rays.

atcolomb likes this.
  5. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    Like to see blu-rays of the later Marx Bros at MGM.

BobO'Link and Radioman970 like this.
  6. Message #6 of 8 Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    I believe that the prime component in Gary's disappointment was the prospect of these reissues still being on Flipper discs. If this proves to be the case, I'd have to agree that in 2017, this would qualify as a legitimate disappointment. Just my opinion.

Agreed!

CHEERS! :)

Radioman970 likes this.
  7. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Up until a few weeks ago the number pretty much confirms that DVD sells more. While Blu-ray had slightly better numbers some weeks it mostly mirrored this:
    [​IMG]

The following week Blu-ray almost surpassed the DVD numbers:
    [​IMG]

But the increase is likely due to Wonder Woman, a very strong title for Blu-ray, being released that week.

Once figures are available for subsequent weeks, I expect Blu-ray numbers to fall again.

Collectors appreciate the improvement Blu-ray typically provides over DVD, but data seems to indicate general consumers don't care and look mostly at price which is also a significant factor with streaming overtaking physical media sales.

atcolomb likes this.
  8. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

The TCM Classics 4 film sets started as flippers but in the last few years switched to 4 discs . Even the earliest releases such as the Jean Harlow set and the two Astaire/Rogers sets which were flippers became 4 disc sets in later printings. Going back to flippers is a step backwards as far as I am concerned. Fingerprints and the ability to see the title on the disc and placing the disc on the wrong side are some of the problems I have with flippers

Tony Bensley likes this.