What's new

"Silent Hill" movie announced (1 Viewer)

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
For those that don't know, "Silent Hill" is a Playstation videogame survival-horror series. Same genre as "Resident Evil" but completely different take in that it's more demonic/psychological horror rather than the "oh no the virus is turning everyone into zombies" horror. The games kick butt (particularly Silent Hill 2).

I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Of course, inevitably, someone will say, "I liked this movie the first time when it was called Jacob's Ladder."

http://gamers.com/news/1467289

I particularly like this little bit from the article:

Konami will . . . collaborate on soundtrack composition
Anyone that's played the games knows how important the sound design and music is to the feel and atmosphere of the games, John Williams it is not.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
It might turn out okay since they apparently got Christopher Gans signed to direct it. Better him than Uwe Boll :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I remember when rumors were flying around a while ago of Bill Paxton playing the father in the first one.

I hope they do it right and then get a great director for the second film (if they follow the games).

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Cool, finally a game to movie that I actually would like to see. Now, if someone could just talk to MS about a certain Master Chief...

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Morgan, I seriosly doubt they'll follow the games as the games don't really follow each other. The series isn't so much about a specific plotline as a mythology. All the games have in common is they're set in the same place and follow the same basic rules. With this in mind, I would think it would be better to create an original story rather than adapt one of the games.

Any ideas for director? I think David Lynch would be a good choice as the games were heavily influenced by Twin Peaks and he knows how to do that. Of course, this would be inbreeding.

Unlike Resident Evil, this has the potential to be a good movie. THey just need a good director, a good scipt and a sizablle backlot town they can flood with fog.

Sean*O

Second Unit
David Lynch, Ridley Scott, or David Fincher come to mind as good candidates for the director job.. Not sold on Gans pulling off a Silent Hill movie, but I liked BOTW (though it is a TOTALLY different concept and feel than Silent Hill), so I guess we will have to wait and see.

Akira Yamaoka MUST do the soundtrack.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Well shit. I was just about to pitch my Indie film company to do that project. I just know somebody else is gonna do something stupid like have it make perfect sense.

Dustin Wind

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think a genious like Ridley Scott would go near a stupid film like this.

Resident Evil was one of the worst movies i have ever seen, and i expect this to be a close 2nd.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Dustin, that's a complete non-sequiter. Resident Evil has nothing in common Silent Hill besides being in vaguely the same genre. That's like saying that because This Island Earth sucked then E.T. must also suck.

Sean Eldridge

Second Unit
Dustin,
Do you have any clue what this movie is about? Neither do I. It's just been announced for crying out loud. Just because you think RE was bad, does not mean that SH will be bad. And if you feel like shitting in someone's thread, maybe you should rethink that.

Sean

BarryS

Second Unit
Unlike Resident Evil, this has the potential to be a good movie.
I agree. When I first played the game, I thought "this would make a kick-ass horror movie if done well." If the movie is anything like the games, I'm going to be really excited about it. Imagine an atmospheric, creepy psychological horror film that's scary as hell. Please let a good filmmaker handle this one....

Who should direct? I have a few thoughts:

Clive Barker
George Romero
Tim Burton
David Cronenberg
Wes Craven
Christopher Nolan
Tobe Hooper

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I think a lot of those choices are kind of questionable. I do like Christopher Nolan, but he'll his hands full for a while though, so it probably won't be him.

How about Alex Proyas? Steven Soderburgh would be good if you could get him, which would be unlikely. (Solaris reminded me of Silent Hill in many ways.)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Even though the horror in the games resides a lot in the visual stuff (monsters and such), I think the psychological aspect could be done very well by David Lynch. The story of the second game is VERY twisted, and he would be perfect for it.

I've always wanted D. Cronenberg or D. Lynch to direct the Silent Hill film. The producer who's developing Silent Hill produced Cronenberg's Spider. Interesting movie, like most all Cronenberg's work. It's on DVD now. Never came to a theatre near me. Anyway, I can't remember the producer's name but he also did Brotherhood of the Wolf. So I guess the rumour that Wolf's director is on Silent Hill could be true. I still would prefer Cronenberg or Lynch.

So okay, we'll see what happens. In the meantime, let's get Silent Hill 3 on Xbox. Like, now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks