what about metalgear and silent hill movie?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, Apr 5, 2002.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/356/356748p1.html
    Games-to-Film: Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid
    The latest on Silent Hill. And New Line wants to make a Metal Gear movie!
    April 04, 2002 - Hot on the heels of the Resident Evil movie, studios are putting their game-to-film adaptations on the fast track. One of those fast-tracked films is the newly announced Silent Hill big-screen adaptation that is in the works over at New Line Cinema and Dark Aura Entertainment.
    Word comes today from the folks at Dark Aura (via Bloody Disgusting) that they are already in talks to cast the film. It seems that actress Chyler Leigh (Not Another Teen Movie) is entering into negotiations to play the role of Lisa Garland, the nurse from the first game.
    A Dark Aura representative also revealed some other members of their "dream cast" for the film. Dark Aura hopes to cast Johnny Depp, Carrie-Anne Moss, Bill Pullman, Lisa Marie and Anjelica Huston. But don't look for all of those folks to sign on – those are just their first choices. However, the studio does expect to pull at least a couple of big-name actors because of the quality of the film's story.
    The source also says that the Silent Hill movie will be closely based on the first game in the series. And that the film will probably lens on location in the Northeastern U.S. (Maine, or upstate N.Y.). Dark Aura is also looking to emphasize the use of animatronic creatures instead of computer-animated special effects, and they're reportedly eyeing Stan Winston studios for the job.
    Finally, the Dark Aura rep says that New Line has entered into talks with Konami to acquire the movie rights to Metal Gear. Expect more news on Solid Snake's trip to the big screen in the near future, and stay tuned to IGN FilmForce for the latest in games-to-film news!
    -- Brian Linder
    okay, i know there are people who will they they are better not to be made. right? because we can see a bad movie from 10 miles away, right? or no? i personally dont mind watching these kind of movies.

2. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

I've said it before to no avail, so I'll say it again:
    [rant]Michael Biehn[/rant], a perfect choice for Solid Snake:
    Call me crazy but I think he's a perfect choice.
    Doesn't anybody else see the resemblance? I've been seeing it since I bought first first metal gear back in the '80's.
    Joseph

3. Steve Felix

Steve Felix Supporting Actor

Based on looks, Biehn is a perfect choice! Especially since Snake isn't young.
    They'd better not consider the plot of Sons of Liberty for the movie.[​IMG]

4. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

sons of liberty was a big fat ass joke.i hate it. kojima should be fired!!!

5. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Am I the only one who thinks that video game movies should be outlawed and anyone who tries to make them should have his/her SAG, DAG, WAG, etc. card revoked?

6. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The problem with game based movies is that they take the wrong liberties and that game fans are too specific about details. Also, some games shouldn't be reworked at all while others should be totally redone.

Silent Hill should have a new story but retain the feel of the games. David Lynch would probably be the best director if they can get him, and they should try to make the film force the viewer to think to "get it." Outright horror and special effects would ruin this, unless its truly scary and fits the storyline (like two characters getting chase by a bad guy and then split up and they have to find eachother instead of mindless blood and gore).

Metal Gear Solid would never work as a movie unless they use the exact same story from the games, its just that type of game. Final Fantasy games are all based on the themes, Silent Hill has its mood, Tomb Raider has Lara Croft and explosions, and Metal Gear Solid has its stories. The thing is, which story would they use? How would they bring it to the screen right? A good Solid Snake (who has the voice, too, the most important part) and a good, solid script would ensure that it would be a good movie, unless they screw it up some other way.

At least they aren't making movies based on fighting games anymore. They don't even have real stories in them.

8. Andrew_Sch

For the record, Michael Biehn would be an excellent choice for Snake, even though I hope the movie is never made[​IMG]

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

10. John Torrez

John Torrez Second Unit

Let's hope the SH movie is as scary as the game. The game was scary as f***!

11. Reni D

Reni D Stunt Coordinator

Got to admit that the cover above does look like Micheal Biehn especaillyhow he looked on "The Rock" he be my choice to d othe movie

12. Jose Q

Jose Q Stunt Coordinator

I dont see them doing justice to Metal Gear Solid.

I mean, the only way this would fly is if they did an action movie in the style of Mission Impossible 2 with no cheesy one-liners and it would have to follow the story of the first MGS game. They would also need to get the voices of the game actors somehow in there (that wouldn't happen).

What would happen in the real world? they would just create some story that has nothing to do with the games and all you see is familiar character names and looks.

13. Andrew_Sch

I don't really see what the point of re-making the original MGS as a movie would be. The game itself was basically a movie you played, and a pretty darn good one at that. As for MGS2...[​IMG]

14. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

15. Jose Q

Jose Q Stunt Coordinator

Tweeking is what Hollywood is all about. Look at all the liberties they take in most comic book franchises. Most times it is for the worst.

16. Geoffrey_A

Geoffrey_A Second Unit

There's only one person that should play Solid Snake, and that's David Hayter. He's the voice of Snake in the games, he looks just like Snake in real life, and he's a decent actor having already played an action role earlier in his career. Seems to me there'd be no reason to go for a big name when the guy who plays snake in the games is perfect for the role.

All that aside, if they really are doing MGS, it ought to be an anime series. The only way to keep the voice cast and to tell the story properly.

17. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Wasn't there talk of making a Dragonball Z film? I can't remember if Dragonball Z was a game or a animated series first. I thought someone mentioned it happening. But I really can't see it being made with live actors. It should be done CGI ala Pixar style. In fact, I'd love to see it like that.

As for Metal Gear or Silent Hill, Silent Hill would interest me more. But only if handled properly. And I question whether it would happen.

18. Reni D

Reni D Stunt Coordinator

But youll see Hollywood would just mess it up. I yet to see a game turn into Movie that is successful.Must I remind everyone of Street Fighter ,that was bad. The closes thing to being good was Tomb Raider, and that was ok but not great.

19. Jose Q

Jose Q Stunt Coordinator

I second the vote for an anime of MGS.

Now THAT would be cool.

20. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Double Dragon, Mortal Kombat, and Street Fighter barely had storylines to begin with, so of course the movies sucked.

Most people would say that Solid Snake (from MGS) is defined by his voice, but I think its more his badassness. He can look and act badass without having the same voice, but his voice should still be similar. If they made a movie of MGS, they should make it based on MGS (not Metal Gear, the NES prequel) and open up with a short little summary of what happened in the very first game (and the second if they need to). Using the same story and good set design/special effects would allow this to be good, but there is still another problem. Who would play the other characters? I'm not sure if they could make someone look like Revolver Ocelot or Liquid Snake without them looking too fake, so they would REALLY need to be careful with the casting.

I truly do not think they should attempt a MGS movie. The games are movie-like enough and don't have to be compressed down to 2 hours and can do more than a movie. An anime would, IMO, be the worst way to make a movie from MGS because of many things, the first being the style of anime looking absolutely nothing like the style of MGS. A CG MGS (with Hayter's voice) would probably be the best way to go about it.

I just hope they don't kill off characters that will have to return later like they did with Mortal Kombat.

Silent Hill would be a good movie because of the atmosphere, but I think the second game should be the one turned into a movie, not the first. The second game has a lot of weird, crazy stuff in it, but its not as complex and would translate better into a movie because of what they were able to accomplish in the game. The only thing is that there would probably end up being some strange explanation for why the whole town is messed up that would try to make sense (saying there are a bunch of creepy monsters walking around the town would make people get pissed and be confused).

Whatever they decide to do, I hope they use as many elements from the games as possible.