Ladies and Gentleman, The Castlevania Legacy continues...Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Romier S, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Panzer Dragoon Orta and now I get the announcement and new movies for a new Castlevania. Set in the future no less! Once again this one is for the Gameboy Advanced (Konami can the next gen systems get a Castlevania bone please?). Yes I know just like you I want a new CSTLV game on the next gen consoles but I don't snub my nose at any new Castlevania game! MORE MORE MORE MORE! This combined with the announcement that Silent Hill 3 will ship with a 70 minute soundtrack has made Konami my bestest new friend in the world!
    Heres some movies and pics for you guys:
    Castlevania Aria of Sorrow

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Thank god for the new Game Boy Advance SP and the GameCube GBA player.

3. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

4. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

I've always been a fan of Castlevania.....thanks for the news.

Chris

5. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

The thing that really amuses me is that Konami's support for the GameCube is a mere trickle but they go for the GBA market ravenously.
    That's cool though, I'll have me one of them there GBA players eventually [​IMG].

6. Lowell_B

Lowell_B Second Unit

Konami could keep making new GBA Castlevania games every few months and I'd keep buying them.
    This quote makes me happy. [​IMG]
    "During the presentation, Castlevania producer Koji Igarashi noted that the development team realizes that many were disappointed with the music quality in Harmony of Dissonance, so they have made special efforts to improve the music for Aria of Sorrow while retaining a visual quality level close to (if not slightly better than) Harmony of Dissonance's graphics. It's also worth noting that the composer of the music from Symphony of the Night is also working on the project."
    Plus having weapons other than the whip again is great.
    Lowell

7. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

Very cool news. I'd love a new 2D Castlevania on the next-gen systems, but will take any new 2D Castlevania I can get.

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

There's still the unnamed console game that is being worked on, which is presumed to be Castlevania for PS2.

9. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

I can certainly understand Konami's reluctance to bring Castlevania to anything other then GBA for numerous reasons. First, handheld gaming is dominated by Nintendo. There have been as many GBAs sold as PS2s, and there's only one major handheld console as opposed to 3 big boys. Sure you can port, but that menas extra resources, and picking one involves isolating users.

Second, Castlevania has traditionally been a 2d game. CV for N64 (which was 3d) was roundly denounced as terrible (can't say for myself, never played it) so they're probably hesitant to try again. 2d games are pretty much dead on concoles (have there been any recent games that are a classic 2d side scroller recently for any of the big 3?), so they have to get thigns right before they try again. The GBA on the other hand is a top notch 2d system, as have been shown by the excellent CotM and slightly weaker HoD, not even counting hte Super Mario Advance series, Metroid Fusion, Sonic, etc. So the classic formula lends itself well to the GBA, because it is such a popular side-scroller system.

Howeve,r I think it would be doable. Look a Mario 64 or Metroid Prime to see two great side-scrollers taken almost seemlessly into the 3d world while still retaining the essential "feel" of their 2d progenitors. I think that a 3d CV will come, it's just after being burned with CV 64 Konami is being a bit more cautious this time around.

10. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

Speaking of Castlevania, didn't Chronicles for the PS 1 do pretty well last year? Any reason we haven't heard about II or III getting the same treatment? I'd be first in line for Simon's Quest.
    As for the GBA Castlevania's, I think when this new GBA comes out I'm gonna pick one up and I know the Castlevania games will be the first ones I purchase.
    JQ

11. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

That's great news!

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think there were some discussions about making another Chronicles game. Dunno what's up with it now, though.

Viewtiful Joe for GameCube is a 2-D game with 3-D graphics that looks to be pretty cool. Konami could do something like that with Castlevania. They're also making Gradius V, a 2-D game, plus Castlevania has a HUGE following, so there's no reason to not release another console one.

And the GBA has sold WAY more units than the PS2.

13. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

GBA games have to be made (now) brighter than they would if they were being shown on a TV because of how dark the screen is, so all the screenshots come out brighter than they will look on the GBA.

15. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

16. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Well the first Castlevania GBA was notoriously too dark for regular users because they never tested it on "real" GBAs.

17. Scott_E

Scott_E Stunt Coordinator

There IS a new Castelvania coming to consoles sometime in 2003. I saw the interview myself and made up a post about it. I believe it was in PSM magazine. The staff is mostly made up of those that worked on SOTN!!! Here's the link to my other post.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=117474

18. Scott_E

Scott_E Stunt Coordinator

19. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    With the GBASP I just bought I can really use a new Castlevania.
    Looked at the screen shots and like what I see.
    I definitely think we could use some superb music this time around.

20. Romier S

Romier S Producer