What's new

Sigh. GameCube vs PS2 vs XBox. (1 Viewer)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
:)
In Circuit City tonight, my wife asks me which I want (we have our 2nd wedding anniversay coming up & I'm due a treat anyway). I honestly couldn't answer. We played Rallisport Challenge & she liked it. We played Smash Brothers & she liked it. We left.
Problem is, there's plenty on all three right now & in the immediate future to keep me busy. She knows I'll be happy with any one of 'em. She knows we'll end up with all three eventually (and she's not got a problem with that - see why I love her? :) ).
But what to choose for now? XBox has JSRF etc, and DOA3 - my wife's a *huge* fan of the DOA games. PS2 has plenty of RPGs etc, plenty of everything, plus Splashdown which she loves. The 'Cube has Mario - my wife grew up playing Nintendo systems (as far as she can remember, she NEVER played a Genesis, ever).
Tough call.
And I'm not asking for advice, just 'thinking aloud', and please don't rant about this tech spec & that tech spec - I don't care, as I'm sure I've made clear before. Genuinely suprised I still don't have any of the 'current gen' yet. Times a changin' I guess.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Well DoA2:H is on PS2. DoA3 is VERY similar to DoA2:H...

But if I had to say that you had to choose one right now, I would say that you might as well just take the money and save it up (put it in the bank even). E3 is going on right now and you should wait until you can see what games have been announced before deciding.

I will assume you want some overall fun or easy multiplayer games, like DoA and SSB:M. If I had to reccommend one console with those types of games, it might be the GameCube. It has SSB:M now, plus some of the Mario spinoffs coming down the line (Tennis, Party, etc.) along with the Zelda, Mario, Metroid, etc. games.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Well DoA2:H is on PS2. DoA3 is VERY similar to DoA2:H...
No interested in DOA2 Hardcore, Morgan. I've got DOA2 on the DC & it's nowhere near enough different. The difference between 3 & 2 may be purely cosmetic, but it's enough to make my wife interested in it. Sigh. I'm not interested in it at all.
As for waiting until after E3, well yes - she's not going to go out & buy me a machine this weekend :)

Ike

Screenwriter
Speaking as someone who has all three-

honestly, the one I play most, and have the most games for, is Playstation 2. I still play it often, and while I enjoy my X-Box and Gamecube, they haven't brought me near the gaming enjoyment the PS2 has. X-Box has Halo and JSRF, and GameCube has Rouge Leader and Resident Evil, but PS2 has Devil May Cry, Grand Theft Auto 3, Gran Turismo 3, Metal Gear Solid 2, Final Fantasy X, and State of Emergency.

If you want the best in state of the art gaming, go for the X-Box. If you want Nintendo first party titles, for for the GameCube. If you want the best overall experience now, and don't mind slightly outdated graphics, go for the PS2.

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
Ike said it best. I was in the same sitch (and will probably own all three as well) and I decided to go the Xbox route...for now. I played Project Gotham Racing and Bond:Agent Under Fire on the weekend and was sold on the systems first generation capabilities. I picked up Halo yesterday and have been stunned by it. Not only is it a out of this world game visually and audibly, but the gameplay is exquisite.

But in most cases similar to ours, PS2 is the system that is purchased.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
If you are talking about the sheer number of quality games, there is no question that the PS2 is the king for right now. As for what the future holds, who knows? I don't see why that should be much of a concern for you, since you said you plan to get all three systems in the end anyway.

I'll tell you though, the one game which has kept me occupied more than any other (way more than DOA3, which I hardly touch unless company is over) is UFC: Tapout, for the Xbox. I never hear this game mentioned here, and yet as far as fighting games go it is my absolute favorite. The most realistic fighting game ever, and plenty deep. I still lose fights often enough to keep things interesting, as opposed to fighting games where you learn to beat all the charachters, and that's it, you're done ... An updated version is supposed to come out for the other systems though, so I'm not using that as a reason to vote for the Xbox.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Personally, got no interest in Tapout - it doesn't look like any sort of progression over the already excellent UFC on the Dreamcast.

Ho hum. I didn't want this to be a "well, X has XYZ games" discussion. But what control do I have over it? Not a lot.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Ho hum. I didn't want this to be a "well, X has XYZ games" discussion. But what control do I have over it? Not a lot.
It inevitably turns into that Brian. Eventually this thread will be 3 pages long and will be so far from what the topic orignally was you wonder how it ever got that far out:D
It eventually goes back to a "console war" discussion. Like I said, its inevitable. Don't feel bad.
As for which system to get. Whichever one you'll play the most silly;). Knowing how much of a fan you are of Sega's work and the DC the X-box maybe the best choice for you. Allot of Sega's big original work and also continuation of their popular series are going there and it may just have the types of games you like.
Just a suggestion of course. Whichever one you choose you'll no doubt be happy with the choice. If E3 has shown anything so far is that all three of these companies have a slew of games coming. You can't go wrong.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Whichever one you choose you'll no doubt be happy with the choice.
Indeed. And with the prices of the machines being what they are, I doubt I'll have 'only' one of them by Christmas.
Helps having access to all three at work :)

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Romier....get the XBox and enjoy JSRF, GV, GT2002, PSO2, PDO, etc....plus DoA Beach Vollyball, you know you want that :)
I do.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I say get an Xbox as well. Great deal for everything that comes with it and 200 games in development.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
I actually thought you owned all three already. I thought they gave them to you automatically if you programmed for them or something. Crazy! :)
I own an Xbox and GCN. They are both nice. I'm eyeing the PS2, but I'm not sure when I'll get it. Maybe for GTA4, we'll see.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Well, don't know what to say Brian, you seem a bright enough chap, you'll figure it out ;).
I've got a Cube myself, and except for the current mild software drought, it's a ripping good system. I hardly notice the drought as I play Smash Bros. with three of my friends once a week for about three hours straight, and the rest of the time get to play a little Resident Evil :D
If your wife likes the Mario games, then you could do worse than to go with the Cube and Smash Bros. I mean, that game's steeped in so much nostalgia from the characters to the arenas/stages to the trophies that it's nuts. The trophies alone could keep somebody busy for a year :p)
That's my thought anyway. I've used a PS2 many, many times and the only games that ever super-impressed me were Klonoa 2, Res Evil: CV, and GTA3. All of which are coming to the Cube or PC shortly. I just don't care for the X-Box, and will leave it at that ;).
Mind you, if Konami announces a US version of Para Para Paradise for the PS2, I'll buy one the day after :D

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Damn Brian, I didn't realize you didn't have any of the 3 remaining Next-Gen systems. As big of a SEGA fan you seem to be, I would pick up an X-box. Especially if you have broadband. I have all 3 systems and right now my PS2 is the one collecting dust. My X-box and Cube are getting the most play right now. On the X-box I am still playing Halo (I love this game), Spider-Man, and Jet Set Radio Future. On the Cube I am still playing Smash Bros. and Rogue Leader, but Resident Evil is da bomb! Just from what we have seen from E3 so far, the X-box and Cube have me really excited. Mario Sunshine is going to be fantastic and Panzer Dragoon Orta is going to be bliss (right Romier). :)
If I were you, I would say that every 2nd wedding anniversary deserves three new consoles. :)
-Dean-

ChristopherS

Second Unit
If you know you are going to eventually own all three systems, simply buy the one that has the killer game(s) you want to play right now. Knowing that the other two consoles are on the horizon takes the pressure off.
I decided to buy the XBOX so that I could play Halo right now on my home theater system (in which I have spent many thousands more than an XBOX and a few games cost), and I am looking forward to Morrowind (a Bethesda RPG that should be out "shortly"). Being married with a child and a social life means I am not going to be buying or renting a new game every week anyway so I simply needed to find a console that will have one game a month that holds my interest. Having broadband built in permits me to take advantage of my ADSL line right now. I fell in love with online gaming with my Dreamcast games.
Another factor which I cannot downplay in my purchasing decision was many of Morgan Jolley's comments. ;) I simply do not ever want to be in agreement with him! :D
Chris

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
It doesn't sound like Brian is looking for advice with this thread. I mean, he's not exactly a videogame neophyte. :) So I will just say that it is indeed a nice "dilemma" to have, I'm sure you will enjoy the heck out of whichever machine you pick up first, and does your wife have a sister, perchance? ;)
(Oh, and I X-pect you will find an X-cellent, X-citing machine that more than meets your X-pectations right out of the BOX. But of course I have no opinion on that. :D )

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I think your subliminal advertising has worked, Dave, I suddenly feel the urge to go out & buy a GameCube!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks