What's new

Shrek and DOA3! (1 Viewer)

Ron Gilbert

Stunt Coordinator
I know there are few Xbox fans on the boards here, but for those that are, and are not yet aware of this info,I thought I would draw your attention to the link below. It's a short article on a Xbox fan site that provides a further link to a High speed or 56k streaming video of a meeting that MS held for financial analysts. The meeting discusses the Xbox in detail, and towards the end, they demo two Xbox games, Shrek and DOA3. Despite the graininess of the video, both games are looking gorgeous. I was expecting DOA3 to look good, and wasn't disappointed, but Shrek caught me by surprise. The lighting is impressive, to say the least, and the gameplay looks to be, uh, interesting. Anyway, here is the link - by the way, the site has also posted some new screen captures of DOA3.
http://www.teamxbox.com/news.php?id=1604

Camp

Senior HTF Member
The most impressive thing (to me) about DOA3 is how the characters move. I really haven't been too impressed (yet) with the graphics. I watched several seconds of the game on TechTV and was wowed by the realistic animation but bored by art that is more cartoony than I expected.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Camp, I thought the Tech TV clips looked real good, but after what I've been reading, I was expecting more of a graphical improvement compared to DOA2 Hardcore on the PS2.
I dunno. I thought the backgrounds looked more detailed... but I really didn't see much difference at all in the character animation.
Since they didn't say where this game footage came from, maybe it was from a video source rather than directly from an Xbox, and some of the new game's graphical subtleties got lost in the translation...
Gary
------------------

Ron Gilbert

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't spent too much time with the PS2 version of DOA, but there are some improvements. The character models do look the same, and it will interesting to see if they enhance them before release. The game's creator is promising some incremental upgrades to the fighting engine, but overall at this point, the fighting is the same. According to the creator, (I'm getting this from a recent hands on posted on IGN) The game itself is more or less finished, and what remains is tweaking and improvements. I think the combination of improved background graphics and lighting is significant. By the way, both Shrek and DOA3 were running off of translucent Xbox kits, what I assume to be final dev SDKs.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
One big improvment will be the ability to play it via progressive component outputs in 16*9 mode with DD 5.1 audio. Also, look for the graphics to be a big step up from the PS2 when this game is finally released.

Ron Gilbert

Stunt Coordinator
"One big improvment will be the ability to play it via progressive component outputs in 16*9 mode with DD 5.1 audio. Also, look for the graphics to be a big step up from the PS2 when this game is finally released."
Well, I'm not so sure about that. My understanding is that any sort of progressive or 16*9 mode has to be specifically initiated by the developer. So far, the only (launch) game I know of that is being targeted for 16*9 resolution is Project Gotham. Also, the game's creator, in an earlier IGN interview, wasn't sure if the game would be coded for 5.1, but the prospect seemed unlikely. I agree that the graphics are a step up, though, and hopefully (as the game creator himself apparently has said) there will be some tweaks to the gameplay as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks