Xbox bundle - which 3 games?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wolf Jenkins, Nov 10, 2001.

1. Wolf Jenkins

Wolf Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

Ok, I got my pre-order from EB that required 3 games. At least I'll have one on launch day - I went B&M - but am rethinking my game choices. I picked:
    * DOA3
    * Shrek
    * Oddworld
    After the intial reviews, I am keeping DOA3 & want to pick up Halo - but what about #3?
    FYI - big RPG fan mainly; I do like adventure and teh cathartic fighter every once in a while. I'm definitely interested in picking up games that show off the Xbox though - I've got the HDTV & HT all warmed up, so I definitely want high impact (visual & audio impact) games.
    I did play Oddworld on a cheap *ss kiosk - and was kind of underwhelmed. Anyone see Shrek yet?
    BTW - did anyone see the Best Buy flier yet? buy 2 games at 49 and get 10 bucks off? I don't think it's bundled either! Oh well - no hassle is best as I need to be at work at 8 am on thursday.. sigh...
    Since I'm not getting a wheel (I still have DC and a wheel w/ Crazy Tazi 2) I don't PGR is in the mix - I do like football a lot, but the girlfriend won't touch a football game (I want her to like the system too!!)
    Maybe Fuzion Frenzy? I played a little of that too, but it just didn't look that impressive visually. DC games look better...
    help! 5 days till launch! EB says I can exchange a game for 10 days - and I have a whole week off to play (the week of the 18th.) I could just get Oddworld, play it and then exchange it..
    Obiwan looks good - when does that street?
    Finally - I don't really play first person games - especially single player - but I did fall in love with CS. So, I thik with the Halo reviews, it's now a no-brainer...

2. Michael Hudson

Michael Hudson Stunt Coordinator

Would the girlfriend play hockey ?
    ------------------
    Michael
    Video Game Tracker
    DVD Tracker
    DVD Profiler
    CD Tracker

3. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

I would keep Oddworld, I like you was a little let down by the simplicity and lack luster of the demo but have completely regained faith after playing the retail version of this game. The demo on the kiosk doesn't even scratch the surface of this game! Its a little weird but don't let that scare you off, the game really does have some very impressive graphics and compelling gameplay.
    Dean

4. Wolf Jenkins

Ok, so was my Oddworld experience disappointg because:
    1) kiosk display quality sucked (my HDTV will be that mch more impressive?)
    2) didn't play either the right parts or deep enough into the game?
    3) it is really quirky and charming, but you need to really sit down and immerse yourself into it to get that far?
    I don't think she'll play hockey - just not into sports. Did like Soul Calibur though. eye candy type games are good - quirky is also good.
    So, Oddworld is better than Shrek? Haven't seen official review on either yet...

5. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Wolf,
    Extended Play gave Oddworld and Halo 5 out of 5 stars.
    -Dean-
    ------------------
    My HT Equipment
    "I've seen you and you are not cool."

6. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

I have heard some not so great things about Shrek. I think I'd go with Oddworld, Halo and DOA3.
    ------------------

7. Steven_V

Steven_V Stunt Coordinator

I'd say go with Fuzion Frenzy. This is a 'party game' that will appeal to non-gamers like your girl friend. It may not look or sound as good as Shrek or Oddworld, but in the end it's the gameplay that matters.
    ------------------

8. Wolf Jenkins

Dang, I might go with Fuzion Frenzy, but I think that anyone who spells 'Fusion' with a Z should be shot.
    At any rate, what did IGN give Oddworld???
    And does anyone know where I can get extension cables for the xbox???

9. LawrenceK

LawrenceK Stunt Coordinator

Oh god don't get fusion frenzy! The demo i played at a Best Buy was the most insanely stupid and boring thing ever....