What's new

Showtime's "Dead Like Me" - season 1 discussion (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
This week's episode was incredibly touching. Georgia is coming to grips with her purpose; but her feelings for her past still haunt her.. we led so well to this with the previous week and Roxy's tale..

The scene on the stairs, the painting and Daisy..

It summed itself together nicely.

One of the better moments of the show.. I will be eager for more!

Al Shing

Stunt Coordinator
I thought it was a little early for a clip show, but it also was an entertaining way of seeing how far this show, and George, has come in the 11 previous eps.

The most surprising thing is how Daisy has grown on both the audience, and on George. I don't find her as irritating as she was in her intro.

All of the reapers are flawed, but George may actually be the least flawed among them. She has really matured a lot since the pilot, and isn't into the criminal activity or violent tendencies of her fellow reapers.

Rube is George's surrogate father figure, doing a much better job of it than her own real father did when she was alive.

Only two more eps of this. Hopefully it'll be renewed. This is Showtime's best show since Stargate SG-1.

IvanT

Agent
I thought it was a little early for a clip show, but it also was an entertaining way of seeing how far this show, and George, has come in the 11 previous eps.

The most surprising thing is how Daisy has grown on both the audience, and on George. I don't find her as irritating as she was in her intro.
Must say, I was a bit disappointed initally to see that this will be a clip show, but it turned out to be another superb episode, almost as good as last week's.

I would have to agree about Daisy, I am quite surprised to realize that she has become my favorite character lately, and that I am really interested to find out 'what's her story'.

In any case, the 'painting of Daisy' was definitely my favorite bit this week, and in case anybody is interested here is a fairly large JPEG reproduction of it--it's a 1939 Edward Hopper work entitled, aproppriately enough, "New York Movie".

Also, here is the other painting with the diner scene--"Nighthawks" from 1942, also by Hopper.

I

Lowell_B

Second Unit
Thanks a lot for those links to the paintings Ivan. Really cool stuff. I'm also a bit disappointed that there's only two episodes left, and if Showtime doesn't pick this up for a second season it will be an absolute crime.

Lowell

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Finally watched this episode, and again, it's a winner. What's really interesting is that these reapers are who they are, and while they experience personal growth, at their core, they are who they are, and act in ways that are consistent, but also surprise you.

Also, the frankness of dialogue exchanges on this show is really delicious and fun.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I'm sure I haven't missed any episodes, but some of the first clips with Rube, I don't remember seeing. Could they have been out-takes or extra clips made for this episode?

Jeremy_Watson

Stunt Coordinator
In case you all haven't heard, this show will be back for another season, I heard Mandy Patinkin on the Today Show yesterday morning, he got word over the weekend.

Lowell_B

Second Unit
The order of 15 more episodes of "Dead" represents the first major programing decision made by Greenblatt, who joined Showtime in June. Producer MGM will return "Dead" to production with its original cast and crew in February or March with an eye toward putting it back on air sometime in the summer.
So 15 new episodes next summer. Sweet.

Lowell

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Missed Friday's ep and Sunday was a repeat of last week's bicycle ep. I guess I'll have to stay up and watch it tonight.

Totally psyched that they renewed this show! :emoji_thumbsup:

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
Now that that it's been renewed it's time to start waiting for the announcement of the DVD boxset of season one. :)
The wishlist is open:
I want audio commentaries with Ellen Muth, Mandy Patinkin and the woman who plays Dolores on every episode, an extensive gag reel and an hour-long Behind the Scenes documentary.
And maybe a featurette on Herbig-isms. :D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I liked last night's episode (Vacation).

The idea of cataloguing deaths be what the person was last thinking about was clever. It sure got Daisy to re-evaluate her current undead life. Glad to see Mason grow up a little as well, and not give in to his scroundrel ways when the opportunities presented themselves.

The concurrent plot of George's family vacation, the first one without George, was sad and bittersweet in some ways as a family tried to figure out how to make it work without George in the mix. You also have to think that the dad has a honey on the side with no self-control when it comes to phoning him. I don't know how Reggie is going to take it if her parents split up just scant months after losing her sister.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I really enjoyed the moment when they noticed Crystal staring at them. Then the new team of Crystal and Roxie in all their anal glory.

Lowell_B

Second Unit
No posts for the season finale? :frowning:

That one scene outside the elevator with Dolores, George, and that guy had me rolling with laughter. Pure comic genius.

Also cool to see an animal (or is it just pets?) Reaper.

I thought it ended on a great note, the whole episode wrapped the season up quite nicely.

Now comes the long wait for Season 2.

Lowell

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else notice that it was Firefly's Jewel Staite that played the goth girl that hooked up with Mason.

I liked the season finale, and glad it's coming back.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It's July -- the wait for season 2 is almost over. New episodes begin on July 25. (Yes, that's a Sunday; the show is moving to Sunday at 10pm, which is the spot currently held by Queer as Folk.)

Showtime has a great promo for season 2, set to the song "Anticipation".

We'll probably have a separate thread for season 2, but in the meantime, I'm resurrecting the old discussion.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks