What's new

Showtime's "Dead Like Me" - season 1 discussion (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Another great episode. The potential start of a religion via a meter maid ;) I think George is learning a lot more about the things she missed while she was alive.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Another fast moving and quirky episode.

George finds a female friend, Charlotte ,who makes Mason's reaper stomach filled with butterflies, it would seem. Mason's attempts to win over Charlotte are quite funny. I don't find fault in Mason's attraction to Charlotte, she's a fine catch. Even Daisy's needling of Mason was sickly funny, and Daisy was in fine form as well this episode.

George finds out a side of her father (who is teaching one of Charlotte's classes in the local college) that she never quite knew of before. And she finds out her father's reasoning to stay emotionally distant from her because he felt George needed to come back to him on her own terms, never imagining that day would never come due to her early demise. This hit George like a ton of bricks.

The meter maid's "going reaper on the redneck jerk" subplot had some good juicy bits of dialogue, Rube got in on a good zinger. The conclusion to bringing back the redneck jerk-ness out of the guy who suddenly tried to form a religion around his out-of-body experience was also good for some painful laughs.

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
I scrolled all the way down without looking.

does anyone have the past 3 episodes on VHS (or dvd). My receiver broke so now im directv-less.
I will pay postage and price of tape, if you want it back ill pay for that to.

please guys (and girls :) ) help me out!
Oh PM ME or email me. Im not gonna look at this board until I can see them :frowning: Thanks!

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Tonight's episode was a riot. The entire concept of reapers as scam artists was something I had thought about since the beginning. It was also good to see more back story on the other reapers.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I missed this weeks episode on Friday and the Sunday rebroadcast. Would someone care to recap?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Spoilers:

Roxy enters early and is overly happy. Rube takes her off all duties. Daisy is assigned to pick up her duties. Daisy gets the post-it note for a very wealthy woman. The death scene involving this woman is rather intricate, as always.. - she catches fire, and a friend, trying to put her out throws liquor on her which pretty much ends it - anyway, the dead person informs Daisy there is so much to tell her son, who will be next in line for the company. So, Daisy works a scam and pretends to be a psychic in order to claim money from the son.. they go about throwing seances and the like, trying to fool the people involved. There are some rather comical moments with Mason trying to pretend to be a ghost "you idiot, you only do those kind of tricks when you don't have the ghost WE HAVE THE DAMN GHOST" and so on.. anyway, in the end.. they get busted by Rube who points out that Daisy has tried this before on her last "job" and he won't deal with any of it.. either she shapes up or her days are over..

We find out how Roxy's character died.. she's having trouble because it's the anniversary of her death - she was murdered by a friend/roommate who tried to steal her ideas.. as a successful dancer in the early eighties, she tries to patent the idea of cutting the toes out of sox and using them as leg warmers.. her friend strangles her.

And Millie has been at her job long enough to claim benefits :)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Only four eps to go (pilot plus thirteen), I sure hope this show is renewed. This is my favorite premium cable show since the first season of 'The Sopranos' and the first season of '6FU'.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Thanks for the summary Chris.

Also, thanks Michael. But I wasn't able to watch it. My wife and I have family in town, and I don't have Tivo. Still trying to convince my wife that we need one. :D

I really hope this this show is renewed. Dead Like Me and Out of Order are my favorite shows on cable right now.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I liked this week's episode as well. It's funny for one subplot, and the other one was poignant and tragic in retrospect. The sadness of reapers is an underlying theme that seems to bubble to the surface at unexpected times, but is a good reflection on dealing with the living of life before it's too late otherwise.

If I were Mason I would have held out for 10 seconds...

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Well VCR's will provide the same functionality.
True. But I wasn't home to manual record, and I was at work when Michael posted about the rebroadcast and didn't get home until way after midnight.

At least with Tivo I could set it to record every episode.

Sure, I could do the same with a VCR, but then I'd always have to make sure that there was a blank tape in the VCR, and yada yada yada. Who wants to go through that. :D Much easier to and convince my wife that we need a Tivo. :emoji_thumbsup:

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Fantastic ep last night.. I really like the direction the show is taking. This show has quickly risen to one of my top cable watches every week :)

IvanT

Agent
Fantastic ep last night.. I really like the direction the show is taking. This show has quickly risen to one of my top cable watches every week
Agreed... this week's episode was the best episode so far in my opinion, everything clicked nicely--the writing was great, the cast was in top form, just fantastic. All three storylines (George/Mason/Daisy) were really well done.

I

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The way this show can go from hysterically comical to deadly serious on a dime is indicative of good character development and emsemble acting.

I like they way they incorporated the themes of "you can't take it with you" and "you can't go home again" and flipped them around a bit to develop these grim, but lovable, reapers.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I forgot to add:

I haven't laughed as hard at any show as the scene where she goes to work for the other company..

The moment where it ended:

An Important Message for you: "FUCK YOU FINGERMAN"

Killed me.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I haven't laughed as hard at any show as the scene where she goes to work for the other company..
That whole scene was hysterical. I though her coworker's name was very appropriate.....Fingerman. :D Excellent writing.

Lowell_B

Second Unit
Another fantastic episode this week. I can't wait to see how this season ends. Some of the recap bits played well, but some of them definately took some momentum away from the show. With such an awesome episode, I think they should've just played it like a straight episode. I want to know who that lady and guy from the cafe are. Higher-Ups perhaps?

Mason's bit with the blowing on the fist was just comic gold. The expressions Callum Blue (Mason) uses were absolutely hilarious.

Here's looking forward to another great episode next week.

Lowell

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks