What's new

Showtime's "Dead Like Me" - season 1 discussion (1 Viewer)

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
is her name george "glass" kinda like the brady bunch fake boyfriend.

As for the 2nd episode I liked it alot. Although the whole grim reaper doing everyday stuff was cool and funny and all for an opening sequence, but I really really liked the original frog one in the 1st episode

Chris

Senior HTF Member
This week punched it up a bit.. there is a lot of truth to the fact that you can't go back.. and yes, she stinks because she isn't doing her job.. I think the first few episodes, capping with this one, have laid out a lot of the structure of the show.

Al Shing

Stunt Coordinator
Similarities between "Dead Like Me" and "Now and Again":

Main character has died a horrible accidental death, comes back with an appearance unrecognizable to family members.

Is given special powers in order to perform a job distasteful to the protagonist. Protagonist must continue performing that job in order to continue his/her undeath.

Protagonist is warned and threatened not to try to contact family members, but keeps trying to anyway.

Protagonist's loved one (mother, wife) is scared or hates the protagonist in his/her new appearance.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
A completely solid show. Every episode seems to just make it seem an even stronger show. I really love Mandy Patinkin's interaction with Muth. His compasssion at her reaction to going home was wonderful.

I'm really digging this show and I would call it a must see.

Paul Mason

Stunt Coordinator
I absolutely loved the pilot. My enthusiasm has waned slightly with the last two episodes but it's still very watchable.

I'd like to see George bond more with the rest of the group. Right now, it seems like everything is going wrong for her - dead, stuck in 2 jobs she hates, unable to go back to her old life and unable to deal with it, and her attempts at friendship are being rebuffed.

It's slightly depressing that Mason and Roxy's bickering was the least dysfunctional relationship in the last episode.

Not that the show overall is depressing but it could quickly get that way if they're not careful.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
The show continues to get better and find it's own rythm. Now into it's fourth ep, the show is really making some groundwork. She's finally got a feeling of where she belongs in the grand scheme.. sure, it took wiping a few out.. and we've started to set into motion a lot of the problems of all of the characters. This is one of the better, self-contained (ep/ep) type shows on TV.

Ryan_C

Second Unit
Anyone know when Friday's ep, (7/19), will re-air. I missed it. Had family to pick up at the airport. Thanks!

Al Shing

Stunt Coordinator
These all seem to re-air on Sunday nights at 10PM on SHOHD, which is probably a better time for most people than 10PM on Friday night.

The ending scene where some mystery guy shoves the assignments under Mandy Patinkin's door reminded me of the show Early Edition, where tomorrow's paper mysteriously appears every morning wherever the hero is. The hero never sees it being delivered or who brings it.

I'm getting burned out on the George keeps going against the grain storyline. About the only way I can see this show progress is to have George slowly mature into Mandy Patinkin's role, by about season 3 or 4, if it lasts that long.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
There's some really good bits of black humor on this show. It still hasn't quite found its footing, sort of like the lead character George, but I think once she finally leaves her family behind, she'll get on to bigger and better in the after-life as an undead.

Paul Mason

Stunt Coordinator
There's some really good bits of black humor on this show. It still hasn't quite found its footing, sort of like the lead character George, but I think once she finally leaves her family behind, she'll get on to bigger and better in the after-life as an undead.
I tend to agree. And yet it's a shame because Cynthia Stevenson is one of the best actors in the show (all of whom are great). I think the mother-daughter stuff between her and Reggie is some of the most moving and interesting stuff about the show.

I'm not sure how you reconcile those two things. As someone pointed out earlier, it's the same problem Now and Again faced.

Ryan_C

Second Unit
Thanks for posting those reair times for last Friday episode guys.

Does anyone know how many episodes are shot for this season? I know Showtime's Out of Order only had 6, but I am guessing this one has more.

Also, when will Laura Harris show up? I saw her interviewed with the rest of the cast waiting for a movie ot come on Showtime. From the preview from this week's ep, it looks as if Rebecca Gayheart may be leaving, so maybe Harris will be taking her place?

Ken Custodio

Second Unit
For all those that haven't seen the latest episode don't read...spoiler.

Just saw the latests episode and it looks like the Betty character played by Rebecca Gayheart has left the show. Since she followed one of the dead people into the afterlife. That's too bad, we barely got to know Betty. The new reaper that replaces Betty seems to be annoying.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed the most recent episode.. think they accomplished a lot. Story was better played and reaper focused without being so zany.

The story regarding the old woman was very good; and George's character is definitely starting to grow.

IvanT

Agent
I really enjoyed the most recent episode.. think they accomplished a lot. Story was better played and reaper focused without being so zany.
I haven't seen this Friday's episode yet, but... does this meen that "Dead Like Me" has finally stopped spinning its wheels in place and actually had some real plot development thrown in?

I have to say that I loved the pilot episode of this show, but ever since then nothing really seems to be happenning, each episode is just dragging along. I'm still watching because there are some good moments here and there, most of them revolving around George's former family (as someone already mentioned a few posts above, I agree). The cast also isn't bad--the lead actress is certainly capable, Mandy Patinkin is for a change not annoying (hopefully he will not be singing), but in all episodes after the pilot something just seems to be missing for me. It's almost as if they had this interesting concept, but then couldn't really figure out what to do with it.

I'm still giving it the benefit of the doubt for the moment... we'll see.

I

Ken Custodio

Second Unit
FYI: If you have Comcast you might wanna check your Video On Demand channel. They have Dead Like Me available as one of the free video on demand programs here on my local Comcast. So if you miss one and didn't record it you can watch it still.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks