What's new

shows that have been destroyed (2 Viewers)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Neil Brock said:
The first season Avengers which don't exist never aired in the United States so unless you lived in England in 1961 then you never saw them.
It makes the fact that UCLA held Girl on a Trapeze and the existing bit of Hot Snow even more bizarre, since it was definitely never aired in the US and, from what I've briefly googled, presumably not shown outside the UK at all (not even Australia or Canada).

I wonder how that footage came to be in the US? Maybe the footage was sent as samples to either a Canadian or US network to try to make a sale of the Cathy Gale episodes (Canada bought the show beginning with Season 2), and someone years later dontated the footage to UCLA or some other archive who then gave it to them?

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
How about he first season of Meet Corliss Archer, with Lugene Sanders , which was broadcast live. It doesn't seem like any of those episodes survived.
I've also heard tha the Civil War shows "The Americans " and " The Gray Ghost " no longer exist although some episodes from 16 mm have turned up in collector's circles.

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Street
LouA said:
How about he first season of Meet Corliss Archer, with Lugene Sanders , which was broadcast live. It doesn't seem like any of those episodes survived.
I've also heard tha the Civil War shows "The Americans " and " The Gray Ghost " no longer exist although some episodes from 16 mm have turned up in collector's circles.
'The Gray Ghost' exists, not sure about 'The Americans'.

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Street
Yes I've seen those two Richard, but never come across any more.

I collect old westerns & have more or less an example of all of them (with one exception), unfortunately this doesn't mean complete runs are available.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Another show that comes to mind is the 1955 Charlie Farrell Show which was a summer replacement and only ran for 10 episodes. It was very popular in the New York area and ran occasionally until the mid 60's. Also I wonder what survives of the Hal Roach programs like My Little Margie ,and Trouble With Father . Ditto the Roland Reed Shows like Topper .

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
Another show that comes to mind is the 1955 Charlie Farrell Show which was a summer replacement and only ran for 10 episodes. It was very popular in the New York area and ran occasionally until the mid 60's. Also I wonder what survives of the Hal Roach programs like My Little Margie ,and Trouble With Father . Ditto the Roland Reed Shows like Topper .
My Little Margie and Trouble With Father are actually Roland Reed shows, but filmed at Hal Roach Studios. Those two shows survive intact, matter of fact, MLM was distributed by Weiss Global Enterprises in the 80s and 90s. TWF is obviously in the public domain, but Topper was a John Loveton/Bernard Schubert production, but was syndicated by King World in the 80s because I've seen it then as such.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Richard V said:
Heard or read, that most of Captain Kangaroo is gone. I could be wrong.
If true, this wouldn't surprise me at all. I know that a lot of Romper Room and Bozo are gone. Mainly becasue those shows were done locally by several stations and they didn't keep the tapes. I think WGN in Chicago has a large amount of old Bozo left.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Monthy Python Flying Circus, the whole series was almost wiped out by the BBC. Eric Idle got word they were going to be erased, and phoned back and bought the tapes so that the BBC could buy some blank tapes instead. If word didn't get out, the whole show would have been lost.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Brian Himes said:
If true, this wouldn't surprise me at all. I know that a lot of Romper Room and Bozo are gone. Mainly becasue those shows were done locally by several stations and they didn't keep the tapes. I think WGN in Chicago has a large amount of old Bozo left.
To the contrary on WGN's Bozo -- although sometimes something will happen out of the blue like the "Lost Tape" special last December featuring a 1971 WGN Bozo show which was basically "hidden in plain sight" in the Peabody Foundation archives. A few 1960s tapes were saved by producer Don "Sandy" Sandburg, and WGN reaquired them in the 1980s. Other than that, I am pretty sure with rare exceptions, any vintage WGN Bozo footage that exists only survived because someone taped it at home. (They sure made the most of what they had when they compiled the "Bozo, Gar & Ray" holiday special. That special was remastered a few years after it aired and I believe some kind of software was used to clean up a lot of the home-taper originating footage). WGN saved one episode of their version of Romper Room.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Richard V said:
Heard or read, that most of Captain Kangaroo is gone. I could be wrong.
That kind of surprises me with regard to at least his late 70's/80's shows. You would think by then, something as iconic as The Captain would have been saved

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Frank Soyke said:
That kind of surprises me with regard to at least his late 70's/80's shows. You would think by then, something as iconic as The Captain would have been saved
I remember seeing Captain Kangaroo on the local PBS station in the 80's so I wonder if was actually destroyed or not.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Only 4 of (John) Zacherley's Shock Theater/ Chiller Theater shows survive. The rest were recorded over by the various local NY staions.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Mark Y said:
To the contrary on WGN's Bozo -- although sometimes something will happen out of the blue like the "Lost Tape" special last December featuring a 1971 WGN Bozo show which was basically "hidden in plain sight" in the Peabody Foundation archives. A few 1960s tapes were saved by producer Don "Sandy" Sandburg, and WGN reaquired them in the 1980s. Other than that, I am pretty sure with rare exceptions, any vintage WGN Bozo footage that exists only survived because someone taped it at home. (They sure made the most of what they had when they compiled the "Bozo, Gar & Ray" holiday special. That special was remastered a few years after it aired and I believe some kind of software was used to clean up a lot of the home-taper originating footage). WGN saved one episode of their version of Romper Room.
Well, I wasn't sure how much Bozo WGN had saved. I thought that it was more than just a token amount. I seem to recall seeing an anniversary show for Bozo and it seemed to be loaded with clips from several different years of Bozo. I guess not.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
LouA said:
Gray Ghost is owned by CBS and ran on the Star TV network as recently as the early 90s. The Americans is owned by NBC Enterprises so no doubt they have the film masters. Regardless, there's a complete set of them on 16mm at Library of Congress.

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
Brian Himes said:
Well, I wasn't sure how much Bozo WGN had saved. I thought that it was more than just a token amount. I seem to recall seeing an anniversary show for Bozo and it seemed to be loaded with clips from several different years of Bozo. I guess not.
I mentioned similar earlier in this thread...about Romper Room recycling tapes. I guess the "greatest world newspaper nerds" did the same.

Anyone know what of Sally Starr's programs still exist/don't exist?

Still wondering if the Armstrong Liars' Club exists in Fox's library (after buying Four Star).

And here's another question, given its reappearance on GSN. What of the Jim Perry run of Sale of the Century exists? Wikipedia says what we are seeing now is all that's left of the NBC version (the last season), and the entire syndie run still exists, as per what was seen on USA way back when...now I feel old :) But as we know, Wiki isn't 100% foolproof.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks