What's new

Show Off Your System! The HTF Theaters Thread (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Why is that? I thought it looked pretty awesome.
The miracles of photography. A lifetime of knowing how to make things look better than they do.

I do have dreams, though. The room has the potential for some extreme remodeling. In my dreams I include something like Dave has, since the back wall after the demo would have plumbing.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Every HT should have a kitchenette.
Tecnically (per CEDIA) I have a "Media Room", since it's not a wholly dedicated theater, with its kitchenette. But yes, having that space is great. The only downside is it doesn't have an icemaker :) But that's not worth it, versus grabbing ice from the kitchen when I'm going to make a drink.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
My home theater actually had very little input from me. The contractors that installed it did their way, which was fine.

I've only changed one thing, I painted the upper portion of the walls from cream to asphalt grey, which cut down on the side wall glare.

I asked the contractor last year why they put the front black glass table below the screen. He said that's how they installed them back then.

There is a 3' space on the other side of the right wall facing the screen which would have been perfect for a cut-out to hold the equipment.

I had 3 contractors come out to ask the cost to cut out and install equipment racks...not ONE got back to me...crazy, huh?

It took 9 years to get someone to build an extra shelf in my film room.

Other than that, I'm a happy camper 'till I die.

Wishes for the future...a larger screen and a JVC projector.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Every HT should have a kitchenette.

My wife wants to do that for the one we just started working on now -- yes, work has finally begun this past weekend... despite the 10-12" of snow we just got that immediately put the brakes on that since Monday. I wanna keep it as small as possible since the room is not quite that big at ~18.5x18ft -- and I want the speakers, especially the Thiel CS5i's to have as much space to "breathe" as possible... :cool:

Ideally, the kitchenette should be outside this HT room where the adjacent laundry area is, but then, we'd probably have to move the laundry area. Hmmm... actually, if we just upgrade to a good all-in-one laundry machine (as we probably should replace the old machines anyway), maybe we could make enough space for 1/2 of a kitchenette there and only keep a small-ish fridge and tiny pantry in the HT room instead -- that'd probably also reduce noise from the laundry, haha. Hmmm... actually, we should probably convert part of our 2nd floor, small eat-in kitchen to a primary laundry area instead -- that's the floor w/ all the bedrooms nowadays (after we decided to temporarily "convert" our small 2-family townhouse into one until the kids eventually move out on their own). Hmmm...

_Man_

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Ideally, the kitchenette should be outside this HT room

That's how I feel too. My Theater Room is for watching movies or listening to music; Period. It's designed to look good only when there's content playing on the screen, otherwise the room is just there to provide an ideal viewing/listening environment. I don't want food being prepared in there although I do allow it inside once prepared in the kitchen which is only about 50ft away. As beautiful as @DaveF 's room is, it wouldn't work for me.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
There are a lot of member here that have nice HT set ups from rooms that are mixed use to dedicated rooms. My journey started in the 80's with a beautiful JVC HR-D530 4 head hi-fi VHS and a Yamaha laser disc player with a Onkyo Integra A-8190 intergrated stereo amplifier. It has been a long road getting from those days to here where I upgraded to a 4K video system and Dolby Atmos/DTS-X/Auro 3D. I started off with two channel music but that has even evolved over the years to include DVD-A and SACD. I love seeing and ready about others journey's and seeing and readying about where there systems are now. This is one of the great things about our hobby that there are many ways and so many brands to enjoy and the variety of how these systems look. Kudos to you all for your passion regardless of income to be involved in this wonderful hobby that we all love. For my own system when finances improve I am thinking about replacing the single HSU VTF-3 MK5HP 15"subwoofer with a matching set of subs. At this point depending on finances it could range from dual SVS Ultra16's to a single Monolith dual 15" sub or ether dual 12" or dual 15" Klipsch. One thing that limits what I can do is my living situation with a family member but trust me I am lucky to have what I have. I have to think about and consider what will happen when this all ends up in an apartment at some point.

Current Systems 2021:
Living Room 7.1.4
Marantz SR-8012 11.2 (7.2.4) Surround Receiver
Emotiva XPA-3 3 Channel Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K UHD Blu-ray Player
Denon DCD-1290 CD Player
4K Apple TV 64GB
Dish Network
Sony XBR55A9F 55"OLED 4K HDR/Dolby Vision/IMAX Enhanced TV
Altec Lancing A-7's (L&R)
Klipsch RC-64 lll center channel speaker
Klipsch RP-600M surround speakers ( Two Pair)
Advent Marbles (height speakers) Future upgrade to Klipsch RP-500SA speakers
HSU VTF-3 MK5HP 15"subwoofer
Pangea Audio speaker stands
Harmony Elite Remote
AudioQuest cables
Netgear 8 port GS108 Gigabit Switch
Verizon Fios Router

20210214_082402.jpg

IMG_2519a.jpg

20191016_152745.jpg

IMG_2967a.jpg

20201206_103054.jpg

20201114_165413.jpg

Bedroom 1 System
Custom built PC
Pioneer Elite SC-05 7.1 Surround Receiver
Denon DBP-1611UD Blu-ray Player
Samsung UBD-K8500 4K UHD Blu-ray Player
Samsung 4K UHD 55" UN55F9000 TV
Polk T15 Speakers
Polk PSW505 12" Subwoofer
Netgear 4 port GS105 Gigabit Switch

Bedroom 2 System
LG 4K UHD 55UM6910PUC 55" TV
LG 4K UHD UBK80 Blu-ray Player
Dish Network Joey Client Box

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
There are a lot of member here that have nice HT set ups from rooms that are mixed use to dedicated rooms. My journey started in the 80's with a beautiful JVC HR-D530 4 head hi-fi VHS and a Yamaha laser disc player with a Onkyo Integra A-8190 intergrated stereo amplifier. It has been a long road getting from those days to here where I upgraded to a 4K video system and Dolby Atmos/DTS-X/Auro 3D. I started off with two channel music but that has even evolved over the years to include DVD-A and SACD. I love seeing and ready about others journey's and seeing and readying about where there systems are now. This is one of the great things about our hobby that there are many ways and so many brands to enjoy and the variety of how these systems look. Kudos to you all for your passion regardless of income to be involved in this wonderful hobby that we all love. For my own system when finances improve I am thinking about replacing the single HSU VTF-3 MK5HP 15"subwoofer with a matching set of subs. At this point depending on finances it could range from dual SVS Ultra16's to a single Monolith dual 15" sub or ether dual 12" or dual 15" Klipsch. One thing that limits what I can do is my living situation with a family member but trust me I am lucky to have what I have. I have to think about and consider what will happen when this all ends up in an apartment at some point.

Current Systems 2021:
Living Room 7.1.4
Marantz SR-8012 11.2 (7.2.4) Surround Receiver
Emotiva XPA-3 3 Channel Amplifier
Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K UHD Blu-ray Player
Denon DCD-1290 CD Player
4K Apple TV 64GB
Dish Network
Sony XBR55A9F 55"OLED 4K HDR/Dolby Vision/IMAX Enhanced TV
Altec Lancing A-7's (L&R)
Klipsch RC-64 lll center channel speaker
Klipsch RP-600M surround speakers ( Two Pair)
Advent Marbles (height speakers) Future upgrade to Klipsch RP-500SA speakers
HSU VTF-3 MK5HP 15"subwoofer
Pangea Audio speaker stands
Harmony Elite Remote
AudioQuest cables
Netgear 8 port GS108 Gigabit Switch
Verizon Fios Router

View attachment 89049

View attachment 89050

View attachment 89051

View attachment 89052

View attachment 89060

View attachment 89053

Bedroom 1 System
Custom built PC
Pioneer Elite SC-05 7.1 Surround Receiver
Denon DBP-1611UD Blu-ray Player
Samsung UBD-K8500 4K UHD Blu-ray Player
Samsung 4K UHD 55" UN55F9000 TV
Polk T15 Speakers
Polk PSW505 12" Subwoofer
Netgear 4 port GS105 Gigabit Switch

Bedroom 2 System
LG 4K UHD 55UM6910PUC 55" TV
LG 4K UHD UBK80 Blu-ray Player
Dish Network Joey Client Box

RE: the sub upgrade, why not just add a 2nd Hsu VTF-3 Mk5 HP instead of most of those options you're considering, except maybe the dual SVS Ultra-16s?

That would seem much better bang for your buck (unless you want substantially more powerful, deeper-and-more-accurate reaching dual subs), and that's probably what I'll do myself for my new dedicated HT room (~18.5x17x8ft)...

_Man_

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I definitely hate being the guy talking folks out of HT upgrades but I cannot for the life of me figure out what you hope to gain from having more than an already existing and awesome 15" sub today in a room that size. If you aren't getting enough juice out of a HTF15 there is something definitely wrong. Are you going to listen at reference level at 10% volume?

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I definitely hate being the guy talking folks out of HT upgrades but I cannot for the life of me figure out what you hope to gain from having more than an already existing and awesome 15" sub today in a room that size. If you aren't getting enough juice out of a HTF15 there is something definitely wrong. Are you going to listen at reference level at 10% volume?
Actually, a second or third sub is a huge improvement over one if you EQ them. It's not about output but response. Read up on Floyd Toole's work on multiple subwoofers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks