What's new

Show Off Your System! The HTF Theaters Thread (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
RE: the sub upgrade, why not just add a 2nd Hsu VTF-3 Mk5 HP instead of most of those options you're considering, except maybe the dual SVS Ultra-16s?

That would seem much better bang for your buck (unless you want substantially more powerful, deeper-and-more-accurate reaching dual subs), and that's probably what I'll do myself for my new dedicated HT room (~18.5x17x8ft)...

_Man_
I definitely hate being the guy talking folks out of HT upgrades but I cannot for the life of me figure out what you hope to gain from having more than an already existing and awesome 15" sub today in a room that size. If you aren't getting enough juice out of a HTF15 there is something definitely wrong. Are you going to listen at reference level at 10% volume?

My Marantz SR-8012 has dual subwoofer EQ's that are separate from each other. But I know I can get a better sub than the HSU VTF-3 MK3. And the point of dual subs is for smoother more powerful and accurate bass and to have better low bass distribution across the room. Oh the HSU VTF-3 MK3 will vibrate the bathroom door on the other end of the house but I want better bass distribution across the room. And I also hate the look of the cabinet and the cheap vinyl wrap instead of a wood like veneer or gloss finish. I got this HSU VTF-3 MK3 used through my neighbor whos boss was upgrading his sub so this HSU VTF-3 MK3 was $0. I have been going by the box and did not pay attention to the subwoofer so what I was thinking was a HSU VTF-3 MK5HP is a HSU VTF-3 MK3. Mmmmm going to correct my htf signature. The HSU replaced my previous Polk PSW505 12" Subwoofer. With the income I have I love what I have accomplished over the past two years before covid19 but at the same time I have gone without and spent every last dime. But I have not racked up any debt and saved and saved and everything is paid for 100%. I love watching movies on my system and enjoy it very much. I do know there is room for improvement here and there and will make changes when possible.

IMG_1670a.jpg

IMG_1671a.jpg

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
In keeping with the rules here is the entrance or, as I call it, "the lobby" of my theater room. The LED sign is fully programmable and is used to show general greetings or announce special events or showings.

View attachment 87193

The remainder of my pics are presented as an evolution over a 15+ year period and can be found here or by clicking my signature link at any time. You'll see things coming and going as circumstances change.

Current Equipment list:
Power:
D-Sonic M3a-1200S (1350 Watts into 4 ohms x2 - Fronts)
Acurus A200x3 (300 Watts into 4 ohms x3 - (Center/Atmos)
Outlaw Model 7140 (140 Watts into 8 ohms x7 - (Rear stage/Atmos)
Panamax M5300 - Power Conditioner

Processor:
Marantz AV7702 MKii

Speakers: (7.1.4)
Fronts - Legacy Audio Focus SE
Center - Legacy Audio Silverscreen HD
Surround - Axiom QS-8 x2
Surround Back - SVS Prime Bookshelf x2
Atmos - RSL C34E x4
Sub - SVS PB 12 Plus/2

Video:
Projector - Epson Pro Cinema 6050 UB (Faux K)
Screen - Elite Screens Aeon HD 135 inch
BD Player - Panasonic UB820 4K UHD
Custom HTPC running Kodi

Hey, John.

How did you decide on that Elite Aeon HD screen? Which exact screen did you get, eg. CineWhite 1.1 gain, CineGrey 3D(?) 1.2 gain?

I'm currently also looking for a 135" 16x9 screen for my Epson 5050UB (and hopefully, something that'd also work great for a future 4K laser PJ that does HDR much better justice). My 1/2-basement level room does have a few modest size windows, but no direct sunlight (nor strong reflections) at all and will do whatever needed to block out whatever light (and still wouldn't really expect/need perfect blackout at midday).

I see I can order the 135" in CineWhite 1.1 gain version from B&H for just ~$530 or the CineGrey 3D 1.2 gain version for ~$755 -- that seems a fairly significant diff for this level of screens. I'm tempted to just go for the more expensive CineGrey if it actually yields better results even in perfectly dark room, not just w/ some stray ambient light -- it would also be nice to allow a little bit of controlled ambient light (at least sometimes).

Also, how are you liking those small, inexpensive RSL ceiling speakers now that you've very substantially upgraded most of the rest of your audio? Do they still perform well enough to match? I'm considering going w/ them as well (and maybe for in-wall rear surrounds too).

Thanks!

_Man_

PS: Sorry to derail this thread a bit. I promise to make my own on-topic post w/ pics as soon as I'm done w/ my new HT room. Just ran some in-ceiling/wall speaker wiring (Monoprice 14AWG CL-2) this morning for the 4 Atmos channels and 2 rear surrounds before the new drywalls are installed this afternoon -- decided to just run wiring for the side surrounds either along baseboards or on the floor under large area rug (and seating) instead, partly because my Vandy 2Ci's (serving as rather big, glorified surrounds) need better bi-wiring anyway... :P

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
How did you decide on that Elite Aeon HD screen? Which exact screen did you get, eg. CineWhite 1.1 gain, CineGrey 3D(?) 1.2 gain?

Honestly, I didn't put a lot of thought into the screen choice. In my previous house I was using a 150 inch painted wall screen [and my trusty Panasonic PTAE8000U at the time] and was perfectly happy. When we bought this house I had a choice to make. Either repair the wall damage and remove the electrical outlets from where the previous owners had their TV mounted or buy a fixed screen. I chose the latter, and since I know the room would be light-controlled, went with this 1.1 gain borderless model.
Also, how are you liking those small, inexpensive RSL ceiling speakers now that you've very substantially upgraded most of the rest of your audio?
Funny you should ask because I've been thinking about that as well. The RSL's in particular aren't going anywhere though as these things are an absolute pain to install, and they handle their duties [with proper Atmos tracks] just fine. With Atmos, I think the content matters way more than the speaker, as long as it's properly placed. If there's a weakness in my audio at the moment it's probably my aging sub and my Marantz AV7702mkii. When Anthem gets the AVM70 where it should be I'll probably be picking one up someday.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hi all, I've been looking for some guidance on setting up a 7.2.4 system and finding a lot of good information on this forum! I'll continue reading and getting some ideas but wanted to see if I can get some recommendations based on my specifics listed below.

What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Speakers, Subwoofer, Receiver, Amp (if needed)

Primary Use: 75% TV & Movies, 25% Music

Desired Configuration: 7.2.4 or may start with 7.1.4

Room Size: 30x15

Is the room open to other areas of your home: Yes (see attached)

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? No, looking to purchase new as well

What's your budget (low to high): $5000-$7000 (including speakers, sub, receivers, amp)

Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)? Nope

Happy to answer any questions. My number one concern is that this area isn't a true closed-off area, so worried about sound leaking and bouncing off -- but happy to hear how I could optimize this.

Thanks in advance!

If there's a weakness in my audio at the moment it's probably my aging sub...
You have to admit, that old sub holds its own remarkably well. At least mine does. I cringe at the thought of how expensive it will be to replace it with something substantially better.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
You have to admit, that old sub holds its own remarkably well. At least mine does. I cringe at the thought of how expensive it will be to replace it with something substantially better.
I have only 2 problems with mine.
  • Size - It's huge, which severely limits placement options in my room. I want to go dual at some point and cannot see that ever happening with this one.
  • No PEQ - Until I get my hands on a Processor like the AVM 70, I have very little control [or even knowledge] of it's peaks and nulls.
That said, this sub has been anchoring my HT for nearly 14 years and has never disappointed in a general sense.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I really want to try out the sub pre-EQ thing. Particularly because when playing music on my system, there is no correction possible other than an outboard approach like this.

I may end up wanting to go that route as well depending on how my new setup performs (in the new room)...

_Man_

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
This thread has sadly seriously deviated from its intended function. If you want to have a chat fest fixing issues make a thread for that. As a showcase for awesome theaters this thread is going to be useless.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I moved a bunch of posts into the Podcast thread. Let's keep this one on topic as Sam suggests. I didn't even realize I was responding to this thread! :D

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Ordered dual SVS SB4000's to replace my venerable but aging PB12 Plus/2.
Front Stage.JPG

Moved HTPC and one of my amps to the adjacent Network/Electrical room to free up space for the SB4000 on the right. Added a permanent secondary monitor which solves the problem of having to fire up the projector every time I need to do HTPC maintenance, etc.

Network Control.JPG

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Ordered dual SVS SB4000's to replace my venerable but aging PB12 Plus/2.
View attachment 93770

Moved HTPC and one of my amps to the adjacent Network/Electrical room to free up space for the SB4000 on the right. Added a permanent secondary monitor which solves the problem of having to fire up the projector every time I need to do HTPC maintenance, etc.

View attachment 93771
If it wasn't apparent you're a network engineer before, the cabling shot makes it abundantly obvious! :D

Tech-Savvy

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Hey everyone, new guy here. I thought I would post pix of my 7.4.4 home theater I just finished a couple weeks ago. I started on Jan 1st and finished the end of March. Not too bad for building the whole room in the evenings and on weekends.
Projector is the LG HU810P
Screen is a tensioned power retractable EliteScreens 110" matte white screen.
Receiver is the Denon AVR-X4700H.
Two Monolith 500w subs, one in front and one behind the rear set of seats.
Front two tower speakers are my old Definitive Technology BP 2006TL with built-in 8" subwoofers.
Surround speakers in the sides and back are Bose Virtually Invisible 891 In-Wall Speakers.
Overhead ceiling speakers for Dolby Atmos are 8" Yamaha NS-IC800.
Front center speaker is a Klipsch R-52C.
Xbox One X, PS4, PS3, Wii
Working flux capacitor (Which is what makes time travel possible) ;)

Attachments

• 01 Start.jpg
    01 Start.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 227
  • 02 Framed.jpg
    02 Framed.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 215
  • 03 Front Sheetrocked.jpg
    03 Front Sheetrocked.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 213
  • 04 Back Sheetrocked.jpg
    04 Back Sheetrocked.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 213
  • 05 Outside wall 1.jpg
    05 Outside wall 1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 204
  • 06 Outside wall 2.jpg
    06 Outside wall 2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 226
  • 07 Entrance.jpg
    07 Entrance.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 222
  • 08 Front.jpg
    08 Front.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 239
  • Back 1.jpg
    Back 1.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 237
  • Back 2.jpg
    Back 2.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 231
  • BTTF.jpg
    BTTF.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 232
  • Candy.jpg
    Candy.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 229
Last edited:

Tech-Savvy

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Wow. Awesome, John.

You must be quite pleased with your work! :D
Well I had a vision when I started it, so I just worked towards my vision, and I surprised myself in the end by it coming out nicer than I thought it would. My daughter is a huge Back To The Future fan, so that stuff was for her.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks