Show Off Your Pics (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
A few shots from our South Carolina condo the past couple of weeks:

451A6827-X3.jpg

451A6837-X3.jpg

This one reminded me of that song "Sign, sign, everywhere a sign".

IMG_2116-X3.jpg

Fishing on a foggy morning:

IMG_2101-X3.jpg

IMG_2102-X3.jpg

IMG_2103-X3.jpg

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well,I broke down and got a Spyder5 Pro, since Datacolor conveniently isn't updating the 4 software, which will no longer run on the Mac OS after Mojave. I guess we'll see if I find any real difference in the calibration.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Here's a quick assessment of the Spyder5 vs the Spyder4. As it turns out, the 5 software also isn't 64 bit. Datacolor BETTER update that without me having to buy a newer model, because the current software won't run on Mac after Mojave.

I'd say everything is a positive. The sensor itself is designed better. The 4 was just kind of exposed, but the 5 has an integrated cover and you can easily put it back in the box for safe keeping when nit in use. After all, it sits unused 99.99% of the time.

For some reason, the 4 had stopped recognizing my Dell UP2716D has AdobeRGB, and would only calibrate it as sRGB. The 5 successfully calibrated it in AdobeRGB showing a 97% gamut. The 5 wants me to set the brightness considerably lower than the 4 did. 180 on the 4 and 120 on the 5. 180 was too high, but 120 seems to be too low. Fortunately you can override that, and I think I'll try 140 to see how that goes.

I've been hardware calibration for about 4 years, and while it definitely does make a difference in how reliable every aspect of the image is, what I really notice id grayscale tracking. Without calibration, monitors always seem to have a tint to them with neutral colors, but the monitors I've calibrated, most were able to achieve excellent grayscale.

If I haven't mentioned it lately, for anyone who's doing much photography, I highly recommend hardware calibration.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
John,

If you are having issues with the Datacolor software, I would suggest looking into DisplayCAL. After upgrading from a Spyder 3 Express to a Spyder 5 Elite a year or so ago during a sale, I wasn't too happy with the calibration results from their new software -- it looked too teal in color, if I recall correctly (it's been awhile). I tried DisplayCAL with the Spyder 5 hardware and got results that looked much more accurate and what I had been used to with the old software on both my current Dell monitor and old Samsung monitor.

I am running a Windows 10 64-bit system, so I'm not sure of the Mac capabilities of the the DisplayCAL software.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I used to shoot a ton of IR film, especially Konica 750nm, which had decent grain, but was outrageously slow. My preferred way to process it (Using PMK developer) yielded a whopping ISO 6.

Anyway, I shot a lot of subjects you might not normally consider for IR. I found this one, which I always liked.

Christine-IR-1k.jpg

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Another IR shot from the previous century. My High School, which was built in 1924 and is now home of the Colorado State University School of Performing Arts.

Shot 6x9 with a Cambo Master PC View Camera and 120 roll film back, using Konica 750nm IR film. The full scan is about 65MP

FCHS-IR-New-1.2k.jpg

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
A few shots from the Plymouth Ice Festival this morning. This is an annual event in our home town. I only brought along my Canon M50 mirrorless with the 15-45mm lens, so I ended up with some messy backgrounds (it's not a fast lens).

IMG_2151-X3.jpg

IMG_2167-X3.jpg

IMG_2165-X3.jpg

IMG_2170-X3.jpg

IMG_2156-X3.jpg

IMG_2162-X3.jpg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I finally set up a two drive SSD RAID 0 for photos today. I'm currently migrating everything from my regular platter drive RAID, which has been giving me error warnings. It isn't reporting back quite the kind of read/write speeds I was expecting (400MB/S write, 600MB/S read), but I got less expensive Silicon Power SSDs, because Samsungs were just too expensive. The app I use to check it might be questionable, too. I'm not sure it works quite right with SSDs. I was getting nervous about possible drive failure, SSDs are finally getting to a reasonable price where it was feasible, plus it just seems silly to have that RAID sitting there, spinning all the time when I don't actually use it that often. I'm just hoping it saves files a lot faster, plus the old one was having trouble with thumbnails.

I guess I'll have to see how it performs. It'll also motivate me to go through all the photos and clean out some junk to save space.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My laptop has an internal 1TB SSD drive, John (I decided it was worth the expense to do things right) and I couldn't be happier. I find it really fast in terms of off-loading big image files and manipulating them in PS. The big winner for me is how fast the machine boots from it in Win10! Unbelievably fast.

On the other hand my long term back up storage is two 2TB external disc drives. I haven't had the best of luck with external USB drives...which is why I use two for duplicative backups. But these drives are not nearly as fast when I offload to them as the SSD drive.

I'll be interested in your report when you get things humming.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
After upgrading my main computer at work, I had a dual bay 2.5" Thunderbolt enclosure not being used. So I decided to give it a try with two 1TB SSDs set up in Mac OS as a RAID 0. I wondered if a software RAID would really give maximum speed boost, so I tested the read/write speed of each individual drive first, and I was glad to find the software RAID gave me almost exactly a 2x speed boost over a single drive. I'm still in the process of moving to the new RAID, so I haven't been able to really test it out. I should be done with that tomorrow.

BTW Mike, my new Mac Mini has an NVMe drive which runs, believe it or not, on average 7x the speed of a typical SATA SSD. They're expensive, though, and it only has a 256GB drive, so I only use it for OS and apps. I clocked it and got average read speeds of around 3,500MB/S, where an typical SATA SSD maxes out at about 500MB/S. It's crazy.

I use a lot of external USB drives, and have not had trouble with them since I started using better hubs. Hubs seems to often be a problem. When I had cheaper hubs, they would often drop in the middle of heavy use, such as backups.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks