What's new

Should I get this RCA Scenium? (1 Viewer)

Mike Digiano

Auditioning
My girlfriends dad can get me a new 61" RCA Scenium for $2600 (wholesale?). I dont know which model but I know its got the ethernet plug and its 61" and that it normally sells for about $3400 or so.

Anyway, Is this deal worth jumping on? I was looking at DLPs in the $4000 range--the new Samsung or Sony.

Another thing to consider is that the viewing distance will be about 10 feet; Will I regret getting a 61"?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Apparently, the RCA DLP's cannot be professionally calibrated. So be aware that it is what it is ...

REgards

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
greetings

It means that a professional ISF guy won't be able to fix the grayscale of the unit if you ever decide to go that route.

User control stuff is fully accessible. (which is what the test discs tell you to use.)

Think of it this way ... the user controls set up correctly will take you to ... say 80% of the best picture ... and that is where it stops. You won't ever be able to get to 100%.

REgards

Tod Golden

Stunt Coordinator
Mike

If it happens to be the HD61W140 I would recommend not getting the set. Although the HD and DVD picture quality was excellent out of the box, the relaibility factor is an issue.

Mine failed within a year after purchase and took almost five months to get repaired. Even after all the attempts it was still not right. My dealer has since replaced it with a Mits WS65613 because they no longer carry the RCA brand.

There are a couple of other stories about this model and other RCA models at this site.

My advice is if you do decide to get this tv, purchase an extended warranty.

Good Luck
Tod

Mike Digiano

Auditioning
Yes reliability is a concern!

I wont be able to get an extended warranty since its kind of a special price deal from a wholesaler, and I think the manufacturers warranty is all I can get.

I will find out which model TV it is today. If its the $9000 model (highly doubtful!) Would that change matters?

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
I was at CostCo over the weekend and they have a RCA DLP on display. The TV must been broken or something because it flickered like crazy.

Total rainbow effect. You had to be blind if you couldn't see the rainbow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks