What's new

HDTV woes!! (1 Viewer)

Chris.H

Grip
Here are some HDTV quandaries I am encountering. I just bought an RCA Scenium HD50LPW164. After the new High Def cable box was installed, I noticed that the supposed digital channels were fuzzy. I expected that. The High Def channels kicked butt (thank Christ for ESPN High Def). OK, the sales person told me to get a Jensen indoor TV antenna for over-the-air High Def to supplement the built in tuner. I get the same High Def channels thru the cable box. The problem, I only get NBC and ABC in High Def on either input. I've heard on the other channels (FOX and CBS) that they were broadcast in High Def. I don't get them , in High Def, on anything. I've done a channel search with every different connection possible. I still get only a few channels on Antenna input. WHY?

The next thing, my digital cable box(Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HD)has HDMI capability. The TV does as well. Initially, the TV,DVD player/surround receiver combo, and cable box were installed with composite video and analog audio. So, after the investment of $200+ for a high end HDMI cable,optical and digital coax, upon getting home to connect the units, I got a surprise. My TV said "Your TV does not support HDNC... (not HDMI)...please try another connection". I had no sound thru the receiver, a piece of junk Wal-Mart Phillips HTiB with DVD all-in-one. I went back to the composite/ analog connections. I know I need a new receiver and DVD player. I am worried about the DVD player I bought (Toshiba SD-5970 with up-conversion) being compatible. Is the TV going to recognize the HDMI connection? Is it going to be worth a SH--? Am I relegated to analog sound from my cable box? Should I even waste my time looking for a great surround sound receiver? I have only one HDMI jack in the TV. Is an HDMI splitter warranted? Will the TV connect to either the cable box or DVD player, or both at the same time? What are my options? The constants are the DVD player, cable box, and TV. Unless I get mad enough (I have 30 days). If I want to change the variables, what should I look for as far as: connections, cables, surround receiver, compatibility, quality audio and video units and still be within a reasonable budget?

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

Much like the rest of the world your house probably isn't near a HDTV transmission for FOX or NBC. Your only option is to move to a city that boradcasts in HD. Or wait a few years and hope they start broadcasting where you live.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
The Scenium apparently accepts cable cards. You might be able to bypass the cable box entirely.

Chris.H

Grip
I don't quite get your quote at the end, but, your post really helped out. I guess I just live in a technologically retarded area. The digital is OK. After seeing high def, it seems a bit lack luster.

Chris.H

Grip
Thanks for the web address. It helped out. Apparently, the other channels aren't in HD yet. But, the placement of my set top antenna was off. Your post helped a lot.

Dick Boneske

Stunt Coordinator
Once you see HD on your screen, ALL digital or conventional broadcasts look terrible! I thought the Direct TV digital channels looked good at one time--until I hooked up the HD receiver. It looked so bad by comparison that I went back and connected the old non-HD receiver. Yup!! It looked the same--BAD! I guess we just have to be patient until HD broadcasts are more common.

Dick Boneske

Stunt Coordinator
Another point you may already have discovered--If you stretch the non-HD picture to fill the screen, it looks even worse. The limited definition of the video becomes more noticeable when streched over the full width.

The stretch modes on my Toshiba 57HX81, especially "Theaterwide 1" provided a good compromise before HD, but this is not available using the component video inputs. I suspect the same is true of other displays.

Chris.H

Grip
Well, Dick, patience is a hard pill to choke down. Especially after seeing HD! I am a weeping, broken man! Just kidding. Yes, I have heard the news about wating for other channels to catch up. I just hope I can survive on 4:3 normal view.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks