What's new

Finally going for HD-TV. Is 12 feet Good for 65" TV (1 Viewer)

Luis M

Second Unit
After reading your possitive response to my previous topic, I have decided to go ahead and buy me a 65" piece of heaven. Even though I have not decided on which one to get (65" Toshiba- 61" Hitachi- 65" RCA SCENIUM- 65" Mitsubishi or now out of my list Sony XBR "too expensive") I need advise from those of you who have a 65" tv, reguarding the feet needed to get a GREAT picture. I currently have 14.5 feet in total, which will leave about 12 feet from the front of the tv to my seating possition.
Is 12 feet good enough for watching a 65" tv? or should I get a smaller set?. I am in love with the 65's though. Keep in mind 80% of my viewing will be anamorphic dvds, as I understand it, high definition would not be a problem at this distance.

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
I have a couch that is about 10.5 feet from my 65H80 and it looks great from there. You will not have a problem with that distance.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
12 feet is an almost perfect distance.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I sit 13' away from 65H80 and love it. On the subject on which set to go with I recommend the Toshiba because it has a better line doubler than the rest of the sets you have listed, this will help when you watch regular TV. Good luck on what ever you decide.

VicRuiz

Second Unit
Sorry, you're too far way. I sit 10' away from a 92" CRT FPTV screen. Now that's cinema!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

Luis M

Second Unit
Thank you guys, I guess those 12" are just about right. I just went to the store today and found that the RCA Scenium and the Hitachi looked the best to my taste in HD, the RCA being the sharpest even though I prefered the color on the Hitachi but I don't know which of these tvs has the best line doubler. I also saw a 65" toshiba that looked very good, but to be honest the sharpest looking and the most solid picture came from the RCA Scenium, The problem is I don't hear people anywhere talking about this set and there are no reviews to be found anywhere, I personally never liked rca tube tvs but this projection tv is very good and it has the digital receiver built and what I think to be a great price of $3000.00. I also like Mitsubishi but they looked a little on the pink side. those of you who who have the expirience could help me out, I am really worried about making a choice I might regreat

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I have not heard much about the RCA rpts but that is a great price for a 65" set with a built in HD tuner. The reason why the Mits looked pink was because they suffer from this thing called red push. You can get rid of it easy tho, you just have to buy a redpush attenuator. Make sure you play with all the settings on all the sets so you can find out which one looks best to you. Good luck.

Luis M

Second Unit
Juan, This red attenuator people use for the mits, How much does it cost? and How do you use it?

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
All RPTV's have some degree of "red push" in them. Mits has the push a little more than others. You can buy a red push attenuator for about $30, or build one for less than $10.
Definitly check out this link, as it will explain what red push is, and how you can make a attenuator or buy one.
Red Push
Matt
------------------
NO OAR...NO SALE/NO RENTAL!

Tom Damico

Auditioning
Hi:
A few points of interest. The picture you are seeing at your local store on these sets is not a true representation of the picture that you should be seeing. Most, if not all, manufacturers push their contrast, sharpness, brightness, and red, into the upper end. While this might make them look great on a showroom floor side by side with the dozens of other sets, whose manufacturers have themselves turned everything up into torch mode so they stand out against the other sets, unfortunatly this is not a very good reproduction of what things actually look like in true life. Consequently, trying to compare pictures based on incorrect settings off of a showroom floor is not really going to get you very far. Most would agree that, as a minimum, when you get the set home, you will need to run Video Essentials or Avia and set the above mentioned settings correctly. Additionally there are many settings that you can adjust manually if you have the codes and a little guidance. These codes and guidance can be found at a wonderful site called www.hometheaterspot.com. There you will find out more about the sets you are looking at than you ever imagined. Each manufacturer that you named has its own thread and many ISF certified technicians provide great insight into how to set up a set. You can even buy a red push attenuator there for under $20 that will work great on a Mitsubishi set, which is the main set that has this problem anyway. Correctly tuned and adjusted, I believe that you will find that the Pioneer Elite or Mitusbushi Diamond series will deliver the best picture. IMHO. I have a 65" Mitusbishi and run my satelite, and interlaced DVD through a line doubler and the satelite picture is pretty darn good, while the DVD picture converted to 480p is as good if not better than any progressive DVD player out there. Its stunning! IMHO. The Iscan Pro works great for me and for about the cost of a progressive DVD player alone, I can now get a great picture on all my input video devices. This bypasses the doubler in the set and solves the problem. Anyhow, sorry for the bandwidth, visit the site I mentioned and read up on everything you can before making your decision. TomD

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
Tom-
while you hit on some good points, I think it is VERY irresponsible for untrained people to be monkeying around in service modes.
basically, if people don't even know what service modes ARE, or where to find more info about the paremeters they control, they have no business messing with them.
In the past month, on this very forum, a newbie hosed some settings and really didn't seem to have much of a clue at all; as a result, he seemed to get very little sympathy from the community, and I couldn't imagine the service technician being very pleased when they show up to see what people did with "service" codes they found online.
so please, when telling people about service modes, be sure to EMPHASIZE the very serious dangers that one can open themselves upto if they go messing with the "advanced" settings..

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I sit about 8' away from my 65" Toshiba and it looks great. That may be due to the Tosh line doubler, since I can't see scan lines unless I'm much, much closer even than that.
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks