Home Theater suggestions

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Zeeshan T, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Zeeshan T

Zeeshan T Agent

Hello everyone. I've been reading the threads here and have became real interested in making a home theater but i need some advice and help. Here is what i have planned so far. Sony 6.1 ch 600w receiver with JBL northridge speakers (one 250w sub, 2 floorstanding speakers, one center and two wall mount speakers). At best buy, the entire package is $1300. For TV, i searched a lot and i fell in love with RCA Scenium 50 inch televisoin with dlp (the mustang chip) which at hh gregg is $3500. Now here is the problem. My planned budget was $4000 and this will be close to $5000. What can i do to get down to my budget. Which other television should i get instead of the RCA Scenium. I would prefer a television with dlp technology b/c i have heard it is absolutely breathtaking. Also has anyone had experience with the speakers that i mentioned. How well do they perform? Please give me suggestions on what i can do go get inside my bedget. Thank you.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Hi there, and welcome to HTF.

FYI, the Basics area is intended for general discussion at the beginner level -- not for specific purchasing advice.

Since you're asking about assembling a complete system, I've moved your post here to A/V Sources (which is intended primarily for discussion of software-playback hardware -- DVD players, ATSC tuner/decoders, CD players, LaserDisc players, etc., but you can discuss entire systems in this area as well).

Good luck.

3. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

You will have a hard time getting under budget with a DLP. I'd suggest the great Pioneer 533hd5 HDTV/RPTV you can get from walmart.com for about $1600. That is a GREAT buy on a $3500 retail set. Then you could get MUCH better audio package than the one you proposed. JMHO

4. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

Avoid the Sony receiver. Spend a little more and get yourself a good Yamaha, Harman Kardon, or Denon unit. You won't regret it.

IMO, the only Sony stuff you should ever consider is the ES line and that's not very cheap. For the price of the ES line, you can get similar products from competitors that are much better.

5. Charles Gurganus

"For the price of the ES line, you can get similar products from competitors that are much better."

I just don't agree with this at all. Give me a for example.

6. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

Charles, I clearly stated that that was my opinion. Before purchasing my Yamaha RX-V2400 I took a look at a Sony STR-DA3000ES and even gave it a listen. Once again, in my opinion, it really seemed to be lacking in power and when compared to the H/K AVR525/AVR630, Yamaha RX-V1400/RX-V2400, and Denon 3803 it just didn't compare. I had shortlisted my choice of receivers down to Yamaha and H/K and ended up with the Yamaha for the awesome sound quality and value for the price. The Yamaha RX-V2400 costed me $1120 CDN and the Sony STR-DA3000ES would've ran me $1400 CDN. In my opinion, I got way better bang for my buck with the Yamaha.

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Zeeshan,

From looking at your statments so far, I think you've got a nice setup for audio already specced out, featuring fantastic bang-for-the-buck. I think your budget on the monitor part is the problem. Can you control the ambient light in your room? For example, are you putting your room in a basement or can you close all the windows? If that's the case, you can get something like an InFocus X1 DLP projector for about $1000, budget another $400 or so for a screen, and you're -way- under budget with real movie theater impact.

If you're absolutely sold on an RPTV, I'm not sure what to recommend since I haven't shopped for one for 8 years. However, I can say from looking at my 8 year old Mitsubishi NTSC TV, that you shouldn't shy away from CRT tubes. They really do yield quite a nice picture, and last a long time.

8. Zeeshan T

Zeeshan T Agent

Phillip,

I before i posted this thread, the other alternative i had thought of was the infocus x1. This was my choice b/c i really like the dlp technology. I have been shopping around and haven't found a dlp tv (over 50 inch) for less than $3000. I think i will purchase the x1 a nice screen to complement it and i will look futher into receivers to determine whether i like sony, yamaha, harmon kardon or other another receiver with the money i will save. I appreciate everyone who gave their input and if anyone has any other suggestions, that would be wonderful.

9. Zeeshan T

Zeeshan T Agent

By the way Phillip, this home theater is in a basement and i can control the light so it will work great. Thanks again.

10. Charles Gurganus

MuneebM-Thanks for the explaination and sorry for the slam. I just get SO tired of people slamming Sony, some without any reason. You had one and that was refreshing.

11. Bernie_A

Bernie_A Stunt Coordinator

My suggestion would be:

Projector: Infocus x1 plus screen ($1500 +/-) Cheaper if DIY screen.

Reciever: Find the HK AVR-7200 online somewhere for about $800-$850 shipped.

Speakers: Hook up an online speaker purchase from Swans or Rocket, Axiom, etc. You can get fronts, center, rears and sub for about $1000 and it will rock for the money spent. Figure in another $200 for speaker stands. $1200-$1300 total.

DVD: You can get a good DVD player with Faroudja for about $250-$300.

Figure you are going to spend another $200-$400 on cabling and speaker wire, too.

This puts your budget in the $4000 range. You can always go a little cheaper on the speakers but I wouldn't recommend it. If anything, skimp a little on the reciever. You can get a great reciever in the $400-$500 range (again, HK, Yamaha, Onkyo). The AVR-7200 is just sooo nice for the money that it's hard to pass up right now while they last.

Oh well, that's my rant for today. BTW, this pretty much what I did (I have a Hitachi 51S500 RPTV for display) and it's really fun.

12. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I second Bernie's suggestions.